Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ohio State-Penn State!
I wish OSU would play Tate Martel more...he is going to be great.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 12:36 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Should have listened, but what a great game. 

ALWAYS listen to Champ!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 03:15 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wish OSU would play Tate Martel more...he is going to be great.

You really think so?  I see Martel as a lesser version of Braxton Miller.

As I was watching Haskins acting all flustered and erratic, after getting rattled from the pressure, I realized that OSU may have made a huge mistake by naming him the starter and letting Joe Burrow leave the building.  Having watched at least significant parts of 4 LSU games this year, it's become evident to me that he is the real deal, and will likely become an NFL starter.  All he ever needed was his shot to "be the man", and he's doing it well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 11:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You really think so?  I see Martel as a lesser version of Braxton Miller.

As I was watching Haskins acting all flustered and erratic, after getting rattled from the pressure, I realized that OSU may have made a huge mistake by naming him the starter and letting Joe Burrow leave the building.  Having watched at least significant parts of 4 LSU games this year, it's become evident to me that he is the real deal, and will likely become an NFL starter.  All he ever needed was his shot to "be the man", and he's doing it well.

OSU QB's don't play QB in NFL. True QB's, NFL worthy that is, go to other schools it seems!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 07:12 PM)RASCAL Wrote: OSU QB's don't play QB in NFL. True QB's, NFL worthy that is, go to other schools it seems!

And that is a boggling thought, in my mind.  When I was younger, I used to think that it was because John Cooper was such a weasel, that no great QB would ever commit to signing with him.  Then, Tressell went full in on the dual threat QBs and strong defense, and it was understandable.  Now, under Urban Meyer, it's almost just like Jim Tressell is still coaching, only with a better grade of skill players.

Is the curse of Art Schlister that strong, that after all these years, OSU will not host a true, NFL worthy QB?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And that is a boggling thought, in my mind.  When I was younger, I used to think that it was because John Cooper was such a weasel, that no great QB would ever commit to signing with him.  Then, Tressell went full in on the dual threat QBs and strong defense, and it was understandable.  Now, under Urban Meyer, it's almost just like Jim Tressell is still coaching, only with a better grade of skill players.

Is the curse of Art Schlister that strong, that after all these years, OSU will not host a true, NFL worthy QB?

They want QBs that fit the system, not the NFL. When’s the last great NFL QB from Bama?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And that is a boggling thought, in my mind.  When I was younger, I used to think that it was because John Cooper was such a weasel, that no great QB would ever commit to signing with him.  Then, Tressell went full in on the dual threat QBs and strong defense, and it was understandable.  Now, under Urban Meyer, it's almost just like Jim Tressell is still coaching, only with a better grade of skill players.

I made the comment after the OSU game that these Bucks remind me of the cardiac kids in 2002 under Tressell. Haskins can't run though and that worries me. We don't have any LBers worth a damn and our secondary gets humiliated! I don't mind not having Bosa because to me he is NOT his brother and will never be! our D is very suspect! 

Other than Schlitster, what QB went to and NFL team and was any good?

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 11:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You really think so?  I see Martel as a lesser version of Braxton Miller.

Joe Burrow looks like the real deal.  Martel can wing it.  He is a stud.  I think letting Burrow go was a mistake though. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

I don't know if I'd jump the gun so quickly on Haskins Sunset. That was the first time Haskins had faced 110,00 fans screaming at every snap, the first time he had faced being blitzed like that and constant pressure. And yet he still led two TD's drives to win the game in the final 8 minutes.

Yes he got very rattled early but he recovered for the most part. I'm willing to see how he does down the road.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 06:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know if I'd jump the gun so quickly on Haskins Sunset. That was the first time Haskins had faced 110,00 fans screaming at every snap, the first time he had faced being blitzed like that and constant pressure. And yet he still led two TD's drives to win the game in the final 8 minutes.

Yes he got very rattled early but he recovered for the most part. I'm willing to see how he does down the road.

I know Haskins is a quality player, I've seen what he can do when plays go like they're supposed to.  I was just shocked to see him that rattled and shook.  Like you say, still a 1st year starter.  At least they came away with the W, when Penn St. was definitely ready for them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 10:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They want QBs that fit the system, not the NFL. When’s the last great NFL QB from Bama?

The only Meyer QB that even pissed a drop in the NFL is Smith.....and look how long it took him to develop.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 06:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know if I'd jump the gun so quickly on Haskins Sunset. That was the first time Haskins had faced 110,00 fans screaming at every snap, the first time he had faced being blitzed like that and constant pressure. And yet he still led two TD's drives to win the game in the final 8 minutes.

Yeah, tough road game, and James Franklin is a GREAT coach.  Look what he did at Vandy FFS!  This cat knows how to exploit weaknesses.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, tough road game, and James Franklin is a GREAT coach.  Look what he did at Vandy FFS!  This cat knows how to exploit weaknesses.

Yep, It's still way early and hard to say what Haskins will do moving forward ? I'm still leaning towards Haskins may just have "it".

There's never really been any Buckeyes QB have any long term NFL impact and I'm hoping Haskins just might break that mold ?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know Haskins is a quality player, I've seen what he can do when plays go like they're supposed to.  I was just shocked to see him that rattled and shook.  Like you say, still a 1st year starter.  At least they came away with the W, when Penn St. was definitely ready for them.

If his receivers and tight ends can just hold on to the ball, then he wouldn't have got rattled early on. There were at least 2 to 3 drives that first half that ended quickly due to dropped balls from perfect throws.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
On a side note, is it weird that I never realized Franklin was black? I figured he had some non-European ethnicity, but for some reason I didn't think he was black as in African-American.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:35 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If his receivers and tight ends can just hold on to the ball, then he wouldn't have got rattled early on. There were at least 2 to 3 drives that first half  that ended quickly due to dropped balls from perfect throws.

Indeed,

I think he had 3 and maybe even 4 drops on the first 3 drives and only one 1st down ? I think Herb Kirkstreet said ?

What's #11's name Mack ? think he's going to be a really good one btw. But he's been the poster child of inconsistency ! He'll make two outstanding circus catches in a row then drop the next 3 that hit him in stride right between the numbers. Hope he can shake the yips off soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 11:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, It's still way early and hard to say what Haskins will do moving forward ? I'm still leaning towards Haskins may just have "it".

There's never really been any Buckeyes QB have any long term NFL impact and I'm hoping Haskins just might break that mold ?

Agreed, one thing's for sure.....that was an entertaining game to watch.  Maybe Haskins breaks the mold....time will tell.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 01:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: On a side note, is it weird that I never realized Franklin was black?  I figured he had some non-European ethnicity, but for some reason I didn't think he was black as in African-American.

He's black? I didn't know that either. I just thought he was really tanned...  He is a great coach and Penn State will be a thorn in our sides for years to come!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 03:15 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wish OSU would play Tate Martel more...he is going to be great.

No on Tate. I can't tell you why, just my opinion, but don't like the kid.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 04:18 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He's black? I didn't know that either. I just thought he was really tanned...  He is a great coach and Penn State will be a thorn in our sides for years to come!

Well i was reading their message board and one guy said something bad about him and someone else accused that poster of bringing out the white hood and burning cross, and the other guy said, oh now we can't criticize coaches if they are black?  

Reply/Quote