Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ohio State WR Draft Pick #37
Do we have any room to at least bring an Ohio State boy to camp with us? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Smith_(American_football)
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind having him for camp. You never know how injuries can change things. Don't see him making the team otherwise

WhoDey2
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Doubtful, this team is going to be really crowded at WR. Cuts should be really interesting, this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He is going to be on IR this season as he tore his acl last month. And I think it's the second time he has torn it since coming into the league.

edit: after reading the wikipedia link above, it has it in there where he tore his acl twice and will miss this season...
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 06:36 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Do we have any room to at least bring an Ohio State boy to camp with us? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Smith_(American_football)

I don't know, but pretty sure he is a young man and not a "boy"
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Man, does anyone suck at drafting WRs quite like the Jets?

WR 4th round or earlier last 5 drafts (not counting 2017, obviously):
Smith in the 2nd round of 2015
Saunders and Evans in the 4th round of 2014
Hill in the 2nd round of 2012

56 total catches.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 09:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Man, does anyone suck at drafting WRs quite like the Jets?

WR 4th round or earlier last 5 drafts (not counting 2017, obviously):
Smith in the 2nd round of 2015
Saunders and Evans in the 4th round of 2014
Hill in the 2nd round of 2012

56 total catches.

Some of that's from bad QB play too. 

Devon Smith has a real tough time staying on the field though. 

Bengals are also pretty good at finding WR talent at all rounds of the draft, so we've been blessed. 
Reply/Quote
No. We don't. I don't see him bringing anything we don't already have besides being someone who has torn his ACL twice.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
we don't need anymore WR's with knee issues
Reply/Quote
And this is why examining injuries history is so important in the draft process. No way he should've went so high
Reply/Quote
Smith probably ought to stay away from snakes.. He's been snakebit his entire NFL career so far.  He might have a comeback someday, but not likely in stripes. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Like buying a stock...I would buy low (now) and see if after a year on IR, we could develop him and maybe get a significant talent out of him....

I know the guy had tremendous vertical speed and deep ball tracking ability. He was raw coming out, but most coaches that worked him out saw that he could run the entire route tree, but was limited in the OSU offense.

To me, it is worth a shot. Costs very little, doesn't occupy a roster spot, and could prove to be a great move.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 06:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Like buying a stock...I would buy low (now) and see if after a year on IR, we could develop him and maybe get a significant talent out of him....

I know the guy had tremendous vertical speed and deep ball tracking ability.  He was raw coming out, but most coaches that worked him out saw that he could run the entire route tree, but was limited in the OSU offense.

To me, it is worth a shot.  Costs very little, doesn't occupy a roster spot, and could prove to be a great move.

I don't think Mike Brown does this because there's too much risk with the second ACL injury but mainly because it would mean the Bengals would have to pay him a salary to do nothing for (at least) a year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think Mike Brown does this because there's too much risk with the second ACL injury but mainly because it would mean the Bengals would have to pay him a salary to do nothing for (at least) a year.

Not only that, but he'll be in a contract year by the time he's healthy enough to.play.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 09:24 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Some of that's from bad QB play too. 

Devon Smith has a real tough time staying on the field though. 

Bengals are also pretty good at finding WR talent at all rounds of the draft, so we've been blessed. 

Well I couldn't say "Man, does anyone suck at drafting QBs quite like the Jets?" because the Browns are a thing. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He just tore his ACL ...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 01:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Not only that, but he'll be in a contract year by the time he's healthy enough to.play.

Is that because the Bengals typically offer 2-year deals and his first year will be out due to IR?
His rookie deal shouldn't matter if he's released and not picked up off waivers, right?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We're already debating whether we'll carry 6 or 7 WRs. No reason to add Smith.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think Mike Brown does this because there's too much risk with the second ACL injury but mainly because it would mean the Bengals would have to pay him a salary to do nothing for (at least) a year.

Actually, I don't think you would have to pay him next to anything.  He is still on his rookie deal that included guaranteed money for the first four years.  I don't know the particulars, but he was a top 45 pick, if memory serves.  

Give him the minimum and see what he can do.  
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actually, I don't think you would have to pay him next to anything.  He is still on his rookie deal that included guaranteed money for the first four years.  I don't know the particulars, but he was a top 45 pick, if memory serves.  

Give him the minimum and see what he can do.  

But that's my point. Even at the minimum, that's still giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to essentially do nothing for a year, and that is assuming he's fully recovered by next season to play Week 1. If he's on PUP, you're talking about another 6+ weeks of being paid to not contribute.

IMO wait until January and see how he's recovering, then potentially sign him. He's not proven to be anything worthwhile in the NFL in the games he's played thus far anyway, so there's likely a decent chance he's still available to be scooped up next offseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote