Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ohio State WR Draft Pick #37
(05-23-2017, 03:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is that because the Bengals typically offer 2-year deals and his first year will be out due to IR?
His rookie deal shouldn't matter if he's released and not picked up off waivers, right?

He was waived with the injured designation, so if he clears waivers, he reverts to the Jets I juried reserve list.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But that's my point. Even at the minimum, that's still giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to essentially do nothing for a year, and that is assuming he's fully recovered by next season to play Week 1. If he's on PUP, you're talking about another 6+ weeks of being paid to not contribute.

IMO wait until January and see how he's recovering, then potentially sign him. He's not proven to be anything worthwhile in the NFL in the games he's played thus far anyway, so there's likely a decent chance he's still available to be scooped up next offseason.

He just tore his ACL, so he wouldn't be a candidate for PUP, so he isn't contributing at all this year.  Just rehab.  If he works his butt off, and comes back really strong, you just stole a borderline first round talent and could either trade him for a draft pick or keep him as a backup to Ross.

As far as how much they would have to pay him, again,  I think it would be minimal.  He may be available in January, but I would rather be sure to get him.  
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 08:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He just tore his ACL, so he wouldn't be a candidate for PUP, so he isn't contributing at all this year.  Just rehab.  If he works his butt off, and comes back really strong, you just stole a borderline first round talent and could either trade him for a draft pick or keep him as a backup to Ross.

As far as how much they would have to pay him, again,  I think it would be minimal.  He may be available in January, but I would rather be sure to get him.  

The point about PUP was for the next year, not this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 08:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He just tore his ACL, so he wouldn't be a candidate for PUP, so he isn't contributing at all this year.  Just rehab.  If he works his butt off, and comes back really strong, you just stole a borderline first round talent and could either trade him for a draft pick or keep him as a backup to Ross.

Smith has a cap hit of $1.6 mill this year, and $1.8 mill in 2018.  He isn't cheap, by any stretch.  The cap savings for cutting him next year is only $600k.  That's way too expensive for an oft injured guy who performed like a #5-6 WR when healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 01:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: Smith has a cap hit of $1.6 mill this year, and $1.8 mill in 2018.  He isn't cheap, by any stretch.  The cap savings for cutting him next year is only $600k.  That's way too expensive for an oft injured guy who performed like a #5-6 WR when healthy.

I don't understand how his cap would affect the Bengals.  He was released from the Jets, and they are responsible for his guaranteed money.  Honestly, I don't know how or why the cap hit would apply to the Bengals.  Wouldn't that be determined by the contract the Bengals would offer?

It doesn't sound very likely, especially in light of how he will likely end back on the Jets roster.  Interesting discussion, though.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 02:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't understand how his cap would affect the Bengals.  He was released from the Jets, and they are responsible for his guaranteed money.  Honestly, I don't know how or why the cap hit would apply to the Bengals.  Wouldn't that be determined by the contract the Bengals would offer?

It doesn't sound very likely, especially in light of how he will likely end back on the Jets roster.  Interesting discussion, though.  

Teams waive injured players.  No one is going to pick up the salary of a player who can't play. After that they revert to that teams injured reserve.  So essentially he is just on the Jets IR, the waive was a formality.   
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 02:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't understand how his cap would affect the Bengals.  He was released from the Jets, and they are responsible for his guaranteed money.  Honestly, I don't know how or why the cap hit would apply to the Bengals.  Wouldn't that be determined by the contract the Bengals would offer?

Yes and no.  Smith was waived/injured, not released.  A team that claims him off waivers is taking over the contract he signed with the Jets. Normally, if nobody claims the player, they become an UFA, but since he was waived with the injured designation, he reverts to the Jets IR if unclaimed.  If we claimed him, the Jets would take the cap hit for the acceleration of his signing bonus, which would be a cap hit of over $1.2 million.  The Bengals would be on the hook for both the real money and cap hit of his 2017 salary($968k) and 2018 salary($1.235 million).  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 08:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yes and no.  Smith was waived/injured, not released.  A team that claims him off waivers is taking over the contract he signed with the Jets. Normally, if nobody claims the player, they become an UFA, but since he was waived with the injured designation, he reverts to the Jets IR if unclaimed.  If we claimed him, the Jets would take the cap hit for the acceleration of his signing bonus, which would be a cap hit of over $1.2 million.  The Bengals would be on the hook for both the real money and cap hit of his 2017 salary($968k) and 2018 salary($1.235 million).  
Still not worth it. Pass.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 08:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yes and no.  Smith was waived/injured, not released.  A team that claims him off waivers is taking over the contract he signed with the Jets. Normally, if nobody claims the player, they become an UFA, but since he was waived with the injured designation, he reverts to the Jets IR if unclaimed.  If we claimed him, the Jets would take the cap hit for the acceleration of his signing bonus, which would be a cap hit of over $1.2 million.  The Bengals would be on the hook for both the real money and cap hit of his 2017 salary($968k) and 2018 salary($1.235 million).  

Ok, this makes sense.  I wasn't sure why the "waived" part was on there instead of just going to IR.  So, not to belabor the point, but do the Jets have to still honor his original contract or do they sign him for a lessor amount?  That seems pretty rough for a guy still trying to just stay healthy.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 05:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ok, this makes sense.  I wasn't sure why the "waived" part was on there instead of just going to IR.  So, not to belabor the point, but do the Jets have to still honor his original contract or do they sign him for a lessor amount?  That seems pretty rough for a guy still trying to just stay healthy.  

Players who have less than 4 seasons accrued have to clear waivers before they can be assigned to the Injured Reserve list before the final roster cut to 53, per league rules.  Generally, there is a gentleman's agreement amongst the teams not to poach waived/injured players, although it does occasionally happen.  For example, the Patriots claimed former OSU TE Jake Ballard from the Giants years back when he was waived/injured, then assigned him directly to IR after the final cut down day.

The fact that Smith was waived is being blown out of proportion due to a slow news week, as it's just a formality the Jets have to go through to put him on IR.  Presuming he clears waivers, the Jets will have to honor the original contract, but the signing bonus doesn't accelerate as it would if another team claimed him.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 12:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: Players who have less than 4 seasons accrued have to clear waivers before they can be assigned to the Injured Reserve list before the final roster cut to 53, per league rules.  Generally, there is a gentleman's agreement amongst the teams not to poach waived/injured players, although it does occasionally happen.  For example, the Patriots claimed former OSU TE Jake Ballard from the Giants years back when he was waived/injured, then assigned him directly to IR after the final cut down day.

The fact that Smith was waived is being blown out of proportion due to a slow news week, as it's just a formality the Jets have to go through to put him on IR.  Presuming he clears waivers, the Jets will have to honor the original contract, but the signing bonus doesn't accelerate as it would if another team claimed him.

For anyone who watches Scandal...

[Image: 1429651448_scott-main-zoom.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote