Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State defense
This crew is a train wreck. Indiana and Minnesota just shredding them. They seem to always be completely out of position. That pass/run option thing eats them alive.

Offense not exactly impressing anyone either. Their running game is a joke. And while I prefer the pocket QB to the running QB, Haskins looks like Marino at the end of his career. The right tackle is stealing his tuition.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I missed today's game, as I hosted a Strongman Show today. My son called this evening, to tell me all the details of the game. I've been skeptical of the Bucks defense, all year long. Since losing Bosa, the problems have been exacerbated. The offense, particularly the run blocking by the OL is very hot and cold.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Very poor effort all the way around except for Haskins and the receivers ! And you could tell right from the start their heart wasn't in this game. You would think with the scare last week, kinda, that they would have learned their lesson taking an opponent to lightly.

I'm not real sure this team is going anywhere with this defense ? It's just awful !!! Out of position, taking bad angles, poor tackling, over pursuit, looking dazed and confused, blown coverage, I mean everything.

I'm not real sure I'd let Schiano call another game as DC ? I mean Minnesota beat them on the slot guy running a quick slant from the left like 5 or 6 times in two offensive series including running it on 3 out of 4 plays in a row and Schiano kept blitzing the LB right out of the hole every time - just dumbfounding ????

Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2018, 09:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Very poor effort all the way around except for Haskins and the receivers ! And you could tell right from the start their heart wasn't in this game. You would think with the scare last week, kinda, that they would have learned their lesson taking an opponent to lightly.

I'm not real sure this team is going anywhere with this defense ? It's just awful !!! Out of position, taking bad angles, poor tackling, over pursuit, looking dazed and confused, blown coverage, I mean everything.

I'm not real sure I'd let Schiano call another game as DC ? I mean Minnesota beat them on the slot guy running a quick slant from the left like 5 or 6 times in two offensive series including running it on 3 out of 4 plays in a row and Schiano kept blitzing the LB right out of the hole every time - just dumbfounding ????

Bang Head

Hopefully, Schiano is just a placeholder, until the next actual DC is brought on.  He was a "flash in the pan", as HC at Rutgers and just got lucky with a few good recruiting classes in a row.  Then, he completely bombed out in Tampa, his attempt at transitioning to the NFL.  Schiano's biggest strength is that he's a polished, East Coast communicator. (i.e. good recruiter, good interviewer)  His Xs and Os never wowed me, even when he was leading the best Rutgers teams in modern history.  He should go back to being a big fish in a small pond, where he's relevant..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2018, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hopefully, Schiano is just a placeholder, until the next actual DC is brought on.  He was a "flash in the pan", as HC at Rutgers and just got lucky with a few good recruiting classes in a row.  Then, he completely bombed out in Tampa, his attempt at transitioning to the NFL.  Schiano's biggest strength is that he's a polished, East Coast communicator. (i.e. good recruiter, good interviewer)  His Xs and Os never wowed me, even when he was leading the best Rutgers teams in modern history.  He should go back to being a big fish in a small pond, where he's relevant..

Agreed,

He got out coached bad and by bad I mean like epic bad in this game. It's just by turnovers and a very late game finding of some heart that we won !

The defense finally woke up with like 10 minutes to go. But we could have easily lost this game.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2018, 03:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This crew is a train wreck. Indiana and Minnesota just shredding them. They seem to always be completely out of position.  That pass/run option thing eats them alive.

Offense not exactly impressing anyone either. Their running game is a joke.  And while I prefer the pocket QB to the running QB, Haskins looks like Marino at the end of his career.  The right tackle is stealing his tuition.

I'm calling it now,  RT Prince will be a Bengal next year....  That guy needs his ass kicked to the curb. Not only is he horrible but dumb as a potato!

The D is a huge let down this year and you are right, bad angles and never in the right spot.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what their percentage of TDs given up in the red zone. Maybe it’s just my perception, but it seems like once the opposing team gets in the red zone it’s a guaranteed TD.

BTW...233 passing yds surrendered in the 1st half against Purdue.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 10:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wonder what their percentage of TDs given up in the red zone. Maybe it’s just my perception, but it seems like once the opposing team gets in the red zone it’s a guaranteed TD.

BTW...233 passing yds surrendered in the 1st half against Purdue.

Yeah, they still suck.  Schiano needs to be shitcanned, for real.

They sent the blitz, were in Plough's face much of the 1st half, yet still all those completions and yards?  They need to quit the blitz, and keep the LBs in zone, make the DBs play tight man.  If you're going to roll the dice, gamble on the back end.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 10:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, they still suck.  Schiano needs to be shitcanned, for real.

They sent the blitz, were in Plough's face much of the 1st half, yet still all those completions and yards?  They need to quit the blitz, and keep the LBs in zone, make the DBs play tight man.  If you're going to roll the dice, gamble on the back end.

They’ve been flirting with disaster the last two weeks against supposedly inferior teams, and tonight with the offense sputtering they may pay the price. Really they were terrible against PSU as well, and now it seems Penn State isn’t really the offensive force OSU made them look like.

Reply/Quote
Bucks down 21-6, 12 mins to go 4th qtr....

Both coordinators sucking big time tonight, then on top of that all the mental mistakes like that stupid attempted punt block that gave them the 1st down and then they went down and scored.

Defense though is just awful.

And now its 28-6.... LoL.. definitely pretenders at #2. This team is not close to being good enough to win the national title.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 11:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Bucks down 21-6, 12 mins to go 4th qtr....

Both coordinators sucking big time tonight, then on top of that all the mental mistakes like that stupid attempted punt block that gave them the 1st down and then they went down and scored.

Defense though is just awful.

And now its 28-6.... LoL.. definitely pretenders at #2. This team is not close to being good enough to win the national title.

After struggling the last 2 weeks against IU and Minn, they were due for a loss.  But this was an absolute drubbing.   If they are even in the playoff talk after getting blown out to a middling team, itll be an absolute travesty.  Last year they had two losses, one of which was a blowout to Iowa and still damn near made it in.  It just goes to show how much they want osu in every year
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 12:29 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: After struggling the last 2 weeks against IU and Minn, they were due for a loss.  But this was an absolute drubbing.   If they are even in the playoff talk after getting blown out to a middling team, itll be an absolute travesty.  Last year they had two losses, one of which was a blowout to Iowa and still damn near made it in.  It just goes to show how much they want osu in every year

They won't be.

The only thing that will get them remotely into the conversation will be beating a top 5 Michigan team.  But then people will look at who their big wins were against.  A high ranked TCU team that dropped off.  A high ranked Penn State team that dropped off.  And then a high ranked Michigan team that suffers it's second loss.
Reply/Quote
Do not worry my Cardinals will fire current coach and hire Purdues coach at seasons end.

Their QB actually reminded me of Jeff Brohm playing. It was his Trinity connection that brought WR Moore to the Boilermakers, him and RB won that game.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It's good the Buckeyes lost because they are not #2 in the Country. Losing Bosa didn't help but the defense is awful.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It's good the Buckeyes lost because they are not #2 in the Country.  Losing Bosa didn't help but the defense is awful.

You're right, it's much more than just not having Bosa.  Schiano is a hack, and needs to be replaced asap.  His obstinate refusal to stop sending both backers, on seemingly every play, directly led to 4 easy scores and even more critical 3rd down conversions last night.  But, the problems don't end with the defense.  The OL is looking and playing like garbage, they struggle to move anyone in the running game.  I don't blame the players, those OLmen were recruited to block in a RPO offense.  Now that they have a "pocket passer" in Haskins, they don't have the correct personnel up front to block in a traditional pro style offense.

Even more than those issues, this team has looked sloppy, undisciplined and unfocused in more games than not this season.  I hate to say it, but it may be time for 'ole Urbz to retire.  The team, overall, looked very sharp and motivated when Ryan Dey was leading them in Meyer's absence, the first 3 games of the year.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're right, it's much more than just not having Bosa.  Schiano is a hack, and needs to be replaced asap.  His obstinate refusal to stop sending both backers, on seemingly every play, directly led to 4 easy scores and even more critical 3rd down conversions last night.  But, the problems don't end with the defense.  The OL is looking and playing like garbage, they struggle to move anyone in the running game.  I don't blame the players, those OLmen were recruited to block in a RPO offense.  Now that they have a "pocket passer" in Haskins, they don't have the correct personnel up front to block in a traditional pro style offense.

Even more than those issues, this team has looked sloppy, undisciplined and unfocused in more games than not this season.  I hate to say it, but it may be time for 'ole Urbz to retire.  The team, overall, looked very sharp and motivated when Ryan Dey was leading them in Meyer's absence, the first 3 games of the year.  

That lies squarely on the shoulders of Meyer.

He only recruits to his system, and will only call plays for his system.

Haskins is a good pocket passer who is going to be ruined in this system, because Meyer will not call traditional run plays to Weber enough to help out with the protection.  If he is not going to do so, Haskins should not be on the field, as he does not have the wheels to do it Meyer's way.
Reply/Quote
Right now this team is an absolute joke. Both Saturday and Sunday I have to sit and watch two of the worst defenses I can ever recall seeing.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 02:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Right now this team is an absolute joke. Both Saturday and Sunday I have to sit and watch two of the worst defenses I can ever recall seeing.

What the heck we eating in the Buckeyethat makes this acceptable?

Reply/Quote
Imagine in offseason Bengals fire Austin and Buckeyes firing Schiano. Bengals then hire Schiano as new DC.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 04:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Imagine in offseason Bengals fire Austin and Buckeyes firing Schiano. Bengals then hire Schiano as new DC.

That ain’t even funny. Making a voodoo doll of you right now.

Reply/Quote