Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio Weed Vote
What's the take of you Ohio voters on the measure to legalize pot in Ohio next week? This could have huge ramification for the legalization movement throughout the Midwest.

How do you plan on voting on the issue?
Be careful how you vote. The way they have the bills worded, if issue 2 passes, it also allows for commercial monopolies to be written into the Ohio Constitution.

Though I don't currently live in Ohio, I still own property there. It is my home State, and I always care about what goes on there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Both Ohio and Florida have votes coming up.

I don't mind it but the devil is in the details.
(10-27-2015, 11:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Be careful how you vote.  The way they have the bills worded, if issue 2 passes, it also allows for commercial monopolies to be written into the Ohio Constitution.

Though I don't currently live in Ohio, I still own property there.  It is my home State, and I always care about what goes on there.

Would the people who take time to read it outnumber the people who just see it as nothing big and the millions of tokens who will just be like "hell yeah, legal weed!"?
(10-28-2015, 01:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Would the people who take time to read it outnumber the people who just see it as nothing big and the millions of tokens who will just be like "hell yeah, legal weed!"?

Well, since they are different issues on the ballot and you must mark them separately, that shouldn't be an issue. Will people take the time to actually read their ballot? Likely not. I always look up a sample ballot in advance (and though not from Ohio I used a townhome address for sale and got one for this so that I could see what it was all about).
(10-28-2015, 01:56 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Would the people who take time to read it outnumber the people who just see it as nothing big and the millions of tokens who will just be like "hell yeah, legal weed!"?

Legal weed is sort of a big deal?  Is it not?  
Here is a sample ballot.
(10-28-2015, 10:07 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here is a sample ballot.

Thanks.

Seeing the ballot raises a question: why is the weed vote referred to as a monopoloy? Just to muddy the water with Issue Two?
(10-28-2015, 10:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Thanks.

Seeing the ballot raises a question: why is the weed vote referred to as a monopoloy? Just to muddy the water with Issue Two?

Aren't they basically granting monopoly rights to cultivate pot to the group who sponsored the referendum?  
(10-28-2015, 10:36 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Aren't they basically granting monopoly rights to cultivate pot to the group who sponsored the referendum?  

I'm not in the market, so I don't know all the particulars. I'm guessing that's the "self-designated lands owners who own ten predetermined tracts of land"? It does allow people to grow their own (within a limit) which is cool. And I think that would prevent it from actually being a monopoly, as those in the commercial group could raise prices or reduce quality, but that would likely be countered by an increase in individual growers or quality they use.

It's not like an electric company where, if you don't like the rate your provider charges, you can just go string your own lines and build a hydroelectric dam.
(10-28-2015, 10:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Thanks.

Issue 2 is basically an attempt to make sure Issue 3 never sees the light of day, even if passed. If Issue 2 and 3 both pass, Issue 2 takes effect immediately (according to those who crafted it, which asserts that Issue 2 was written to prevail over Issue 3) which automatically makes Issue 3 unlawful. But, even that has been a big topic of debate.

ResponsibleOhio has already said they would take that to court and challenge it if that does happen. 

On a side note, Frostee Rucker is an investor in one of the proposed facilities.
It's pretty near a monopoly. I think they've already announced $280 oz. Illegal drug dealers will just drop their price below that, and still make a lot of money. I don't get $280 an oz. Why not $50 an oz. Still the most expensive plant on the planet.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-28-2015, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It's pretty near a monopoly.  I think they've already announced $280 oz.  Illegal drug dealers will just drop their price below that, and still make a lot of money.  I don't get $280 an oz.  Why not $50 an oz.  Still the most expensive plant on the planet.

I guess the main take away for me is that if I lived in Ohio and liked to use pot, I would no longer be considered a criminal for doing so.  $280 seems like a fair price considering for as long as I have used pot it's always been around $400 an ounce for good stuff.  $280 was similar to the cost in Seattle when I was there recently.  My guess is that the price would continue to go down as more and more states legalize it.

Moreover, this law would allow people to grow their own for personal use.  You don't want to pay for it, grow your own I guess.  It is a plant after all.  
(10-28-2015, 11:43 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I guess the main take away for me is that if I lived in Ohio and liked to use pot, I would no longer be considered a criminal for doing so.  $280 seems like a fair price considering for as long as I have used pot it's always been around $400 an ounce for good stuff.  $280 was similar to the cost in Seattle when I was there recently.  My guess is that the price would continue to go down as more and more states legalize it.

Moreover, this law would allow people to grow their own for personal use.  You don't want to pay for it, grow your own I guess.  It is a plant after all.  

Exactly. For those that think 280 is somehow too expensive...

[Image: marijuana-map-012.jpg]

Forbes.com
(10-28-2015, 11:57 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Exactly. For those that think 280 is somehow too expensive...

[Image: marijuana-map-012.jpg]

That looks about right.  I recall visiting Humboldt County, CA in the late 90s and it was relatively cheap there due to the large supply of high quality bud.  Want to make it dirt cheap stop making it a crime to possess or cultivate it.  
(10-28-2015, 11:30 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: On a side note, Frostee Rucker is an investor in one of the proposed facilities.

I hear Jerome Simpson is working on the mail order catalog.

Mellow
I remember when a dime bag cost a dime, man!
[Image: 103109179-Willie_Half_Baked.jpg]

In all seriousness, I remember when an onion was a c-note. Ninja
(10-28-2015, 12:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I remember when a dime bag cost a dime, man!
[Image: 103109179-Willie_Half_Baked.jpg]

In all seriousness, I remember when an onion was a c-note. Ninja

If anybody does.  He does.  
(10-28-2015, 12:03 PM)Benton Wrote: I hear Jerome Simpson is working on the mail order catalog.

Mellow

Jerome Simpson was just ahead of his time.  Lol.
(10-28-2015, 11:43 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I guess the main take away for me is that if I lived in Ohio and liked to use pot, I would no longer be considered a criminal for doing so.  $280 seems like a fair price considering for as long as I have used pot it's always been around $400 an ounce for good stuff.  $280 was similar to the cost in Seattle when I was there recently.  My guess is that the price would continue to go down as more and more states legalize it.

Let whoever wants to grow it,   grow it, and you will see it drop precipitously.  I don't get all of the restrictions on who can grow it, and this is going to be in the Constitution.  Let's do it the right way.  I can't say for sure i'm voting against it, but I really don't like it this way.  If I smoked pot maybe I'd be eager for anything legal, but since I don't, i'd rather get it right.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall