Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ohio approves recreational marijuana
I have long said that if marijuana were legal for recreational use that I likely would consume far less alcohol. However, the news of the approval is but bittersweet for folks like me who work in certain industries that will certainly continue to maintain random screening. As some of you know, I work in Land Surveying, I've moved into an office position where I do deed research and draw survey maps and put together field sheets for the crews. It's not that my employer specifically is against recreational marijuana use, it's due to our major clients.

We survey a lot of power line routes for AEP, we survey several solid waste landfills for Rumpke, and we survey for many infrastructure projects for the Ohio DOT. Each of them force us to participate in the drug free workplace program in order to be legal to be on their sites. I am wondering if any of you have done any research to know if there is going to be any legislation in the coming future that may affect companies from enforcing such policies going forward?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Have one on me guys ! Cheers.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
I have had this discussion with folks many times on the issue of substances. I, personally, will not partake of marijuana until it is legalized at a Federal level, no matter what Virginia does. The reason? ATF form 4473, question 21 f.

Quote:Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

Answering yes to that question disqualifies you from receiving a firearm and while I know a ton of people would say "just mark no and move on," that ain't me. I'm no Hunter Biden, no matter how infrequent it is that the law is enforced.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I am excited for the legalization of marijuana in Ohio for a few reasons:
1. More money into the coffers without raising anyone's taxes.
2. More jobs that are above board and, therefore, taxed.
3. Fewer people in prison living off of tax dollars because of buying weed.
4. Fewer opportunities for people to buy unregulated, unsafe drugs that may be laced with something (This is admittedly less common with weed, but it's beginning to happen more often).
5. Fewer interactions between typical people and drug dealers who may influence them to try harder drugs (In college, a lot of people just want weed to relax, but for a long time that involved talking to people who were incentivized to get them addicted to much harder substances).

With that said, I still won't smoke weed. I haven't been drug tested at my job for about 6 years now (they used to do random drug screenings), and I think the random screenings are gone, but every once in a while we get a client who wants to screen people before they come on site (I'm a consulting engineer) and I don't want to worry about that.

Maybe when it's legal on a federal level and companies no longer care about it. But that may be for a while.
Reply/Quote
I don't smoke so it doesn't affect me. I did decades ago. If I ever return to anything of this substance, it would be for medical reasons, not recreational.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 10:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have long said that if marijuana were legal for recreational use that I likely would consume far less alcohol.  However, the news of the approval is but bittersweet for folks like me who work in certain industries that will certainly continue to maintain random screening.  As some of you know, I work in Land Surveying, I've moved into an office position where I do deed research and draw survey maps and put together field sheets for the crews.  It's not that my employer specifically is against recreational marijuana use, it's due to our major clients.

We survey a lot of power line routes for AEP, we survey several solid waste landfills for Rumpke, and we survey for many infrastructure projects for the Ohio DOT.  Each of them force us to participate in the drug free workplace program in order to be legal to be on their sites.  I am wondering if any of you have done any research to know if there is going to be any legislation in the coming future that may affect companies from enforcing such policies going forward?

I have no issue with this passing. I like the idea it will be taxed. However, there will always be a black market for any drug, drug dealers will not go away, they will just lower their price to get the sale.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I live in a legal state and my only gripe is the shit stinks, and it’s everywhere. Also, if you’re ripping it in the car you’re gonna stink like hell when you go inside the store.

Other than that, enjoy y’all!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 01:15 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I live in a legal state and my only gripe is the shit stinks, and it’s everywhere. Also, if you’re ripping it in the car you’re gonna stink like hell when you go inside the store.  

Other than that, enjoy y’all!

yea, the smell of weed has always been annoying to me. You'd think they could find a way to make it smell like bubblegum by now.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 10:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have long said that if marijuana were legal for recreational use that I likely would consume far less alcohol.  However, the news of the approval is but bittersweet for folks like me who work in certain industries that will certainly continue to maintain random screening.  As some of you know, I work in Land Surveying, I've moved into an office position where I do deed research and draw survey maps and put together field sheets for the crews.  It's not that my employer specifically is against recreational marijuana use, it's due to our major clients.

We survey a lot of power line routes for AEP, we survey several solid waste landfills for Rumpke, and we survey for many infrastructure projects for the Ohio DOT.  Each of them force us to participate in the drug free workplace program in order to be legal to be on their sites.  I am wondering if any of you have done any research to know if there is going to be any legislation in the coming future that may affect companies from enforcing such policies going forward?

Good move overall.  Hopefully Ohio is smarter than CA and doesn't tax it so much the black market for weed still exists as it's cheaper.

(11-08-2023, 10:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have had this discussion with folks many times on the issue of substances. I, personally, will not partake of marijuana until it is legalized at a Federal level, no matter what Virginia does. The reason? ATF form 4473, question 21 f.

Answering yes to that question disqualifies you from receiving a firearm and while I know a ton of people would say "just mark no and move on," that ain't me. I'm no Hunter Biden, no matter how infrequent it is that the law is enforced.

Smart man, for you or me that's a felony charge all day.  Although that question really needs to go bye bye.  

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 01:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: yea, the smell of weed has always been annoying to me. You'd think they could find a way to make it smell like bubblegum by now.

I still like the smell of good fresh flower. Once it’s lit, nope!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 01:30 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I still like the smell of good fresh flower. Once it’s lit, nope!

Growing up, basically all of my friends became stoners to one degree or another and I had to deal with that smell my entire life haha. It really wears on you when you don't smoke.

To me, it smells like rotten skunk. The funny thing is my stoner friends LOVE the smell. I figured it's because they associate it with the feeling of being high, cuz it objectively is a terrible smell.

I am so grateful for the recent surge of popularity of gummies.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 01:35 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Growing up, basically all of my friends became stoners to one degree or another and I had to deal with that smell my entire life haha. It really wears on you when you don't smoke.

To me, it smells like rotten skunk. The funny thing is my stoner friends LOVE the smell. I figured it's because they associate it with the feeling of being high, cuz it objectively is a terrible smell.

I am so grateful for the recent surge of popularity of gummies.

I used to be a big weed guy and liked the smell a lot. Once you stop, the person in line ahead of you at the gas station smells like a hobo.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 12:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have no issue with this passing. I like the idea it will be taxed. However, there will always be a black market for any drug, drug dealers will not go away, they will just lower their price to get the sale.

There is a black market for alcohol?  Genuinely asking as alcohol is a drug.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 01:15 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I live in a legal state and my only gripe is the shit stinks, and it’s everywhere. Also, if you’re ripping it in the car you’re gonna stink like hell when you go inside the store.  

Other than that, enjoy y’all.
That's driving under the influence, same as alcohol..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:09 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: There is a black market for alcohol?  Genuinely asking as alcohol is a drug.

I think I've seen commercials for some reality TV shows about illegal moonshine production...but now that I type that I realize putting illegal activity on national television seems specious at best.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:09 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: There is a black market for alcohol?  Genuinely asking as alcohol is a drug.

Yes, people still make and sell plenty of homemade liquor.  In some circles, it's actually the preferred drink of choice.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, people still make and sell plenty of homemade liquor.  In some circles, it's actually the preferred drink of choice.

When I was in junior high I wasn't the only kid who had an opened jug of grape juice hidden in his gross ass Pennsylvania basement due to hearing rumors it would turn into wine eventually.  In my defense, I went to a catholic school so the link between wine and implausible transformations was drilled into our heads.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, people still make and sell plenty of homemade liquor.  In some circles, it's actually the preferred drink of choice.

But is that actually "black market".

Are they brewing to make money illegally and circumvent higher retail alcohol prices?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:17 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: But is that actually "black market".

Are they brewing to make money illegally and circumvent higher retail alcohol prices?

The black market, I believe, refers to the sale of items that are normally controlled and regulated, so selling and especially producing alcohol without a license etc would fall under that.  This applies to things from booze to drugs to guns to broadcasting MLB games without express written consent.  It's not always as devious as it seems.  As a music nut I always associate the black market with getting crappy lo-fi home made CDrs of audience recordings of concerts. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The black market, I believe, refers to the sale of items that are normally controlled and regulated, so selling and especially producing alcohol without a license etc would fall under that.  This applies to things from booze to drugs to guns to broadcasting MLB games without express written consent.  It's not always as devious as it seems.  As a music nut I always associate the black market with getting crappy lo-fi home made CDrs of audience recordings of concerts. 

That's such a racist term.  How can you allow yourself to use that phrase in 2023?  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote