Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio legalized medical marijuana
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/08/john-kasich-just-legalized-medical-marijuana-ohio-now-what/85499176/

COLUMBUS - Gov. John Kasich signed a plan to legalize medical marijuana into law Wednesday, making Ohio the 25th state to approve its use.

Those suffering from epilepsy, chronic pain and the side effects of cancer treatments could soon be able to treat their pain with marijuana. Despite years of delays and opposition, state lawmakers passed a plan in May to legalize medical marijuana for those with a doctor's referral. Groups working to place a rival medical marijuana proposal on the fall ballot put pressure on legislators, but ultimately dropped their efforts after the lawmakers approved a plan.

Kasich was quiet about whether he supported legalizing medical marijuana, saying only that he would follow doctors' recommendations and wanted to help children in pain. But he ultimately signed the bill, which will take effect in 90 days.

While medical marijuana will be legal in a three months, it will take much longer to set up rules for growers, dispensaries and patients. So, what comes next?

How soon can I buy medical marijuana?

If they have a doctor's recommendation, Ohioans can purchase medical marijuana from other states where it is legal as soon as Sept. 6 and bring it back into the state. Then, the Department of Commerce will have about eight months to create rules for those who will grow marijuana. After that, cultivators will need time to start growing medical marijuana, and dispensaries will set up shop. Around that time, doctors must start applying to the Ohio State Medical Board for a certificate to recommend medical marijuana.

All this means Ohioans won't be able to buy medical marijuana in-state until 2017 or early 2018. Note: Once the Ohio system is set up, Buckeyes will no longer be allowed to bring in marijuana from other states.

What kind of marijuana can I use?

Here's the big sticking point for many marijuana advocates: Under this law, it's still illegal to smoke marijuana – even if you buy it out of state. Vaporizers, edibles and oils are OK.

It goes without saying: Recreational use of marijuana also is still illegal under this law.

Which medical conditions will qualify for medical marijuana?

AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, cancer, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, Crohn's disease, epilepsy or another seizure disorder, fibromyalgia, glaucoma, hepatitis C, inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, pain that is either chronic and severe or intractable, Parkinson's disease, positive status for HIV, post-traumatic stress disorder, sickle cell anemia, spinal cord disease or injury, Tourette's syndrome, traumatic brain injury, and ulcerative colitis.

Who will grow the marijuana?

No one may grow medical marijuana at home or for personal use. But those who want to grow medical marijuana commercially must apply with the Ohio Department of Commerce. They cannot grow marijuana within 500 feet of a school, public playground, church, public park or public library. Those with certain criminal convictions are disqualified from growing marijuana.

Who can recommend it?

Physicians who are certified by the Ohio State Medical Association. They could be disqualified from certification if they have a financial interest in growing marijuana, have lost their license to practice medicine or have been convicted of certain crimes. These doctors must attend at least two hours of training on diagnosing and treating conditions with medical marijuana.

Can I be fired for using medical marijuana?

Yes. Despite opposition from some Democrats, the law would allow employers to fire employees who violate office policies against marijuana use – even if the marijuana was recommended by physicians. If you are fired for marijuana use, you will not receive unemployment compensation either.

Can I vote on medical marijuana in November?

No. Several groups were interested in placing a proposal on the fall ballot, but each decided against it. The most prominent, Marijuana Policy Project and its local affiliate Ohioans for Medical Marijuana, dropped its bid just three days after senators passed the medical marijuana bill. The effort was too costly and unpredictable in a presidential election year.

"(T)he reality is that raising funds for medical marijuana policy changes is incredibly difficult, especially given the improvements made to the proposed program by the Ohio General Assembly and the fact that the Governor is expected to sign the bill," said Brandon Lynaugh, campaign manager for Ohioans for Medical Marijuana, in a statement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
So would I be able to go into Ohio and smoke it for my traumatic brain injury if I have a qualifying doctor's note from Ohio?

My rehab doctor was at Children's in Cincinnati, obviously, and I have many other doctors over there, so it wouldn't be hard to get clearence.

It says "Ohioans," but, as long as I don't leave state with it, would I still be allowed?
(06-08-2016, 08:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So would I be able to go into Ohio and smoke it for my traumatic brain injury if I have a qualifying doctor's note from Ohio?

My rehab doctor was at Children's in Cincinnati, obviously, and I have many other doctors over there, so it wouldn't be hard to get clearence.

It says "Ohioans," but, as long as I don't leave state with it, would I still be allowed?

You can get it in other states as soon as sep 9. if you have a qualifying doctor's note from that state (Michigan is the closest state).

I think that you have to be a resident of Ohio I think.
(06-08-2016, 08:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So would I be able to go into Ohio and smoke it for my traumatic brain injury if I have a qualifying doctor's note from Ohio?

You wouldn't be legally allowed to smoke it, even for medicinal use, even if you move to Ohio.  The rules are very specific on how the medicine is to be ingested.  Which, according to the facebook posts of many that I went to college with, is quite a "bummer"..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-08-2016, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You wouldn't be legally allowed to smoke it, even for medicinal use, even if you move to Ohio.  The rules are very specific on how the medicine is to be ingested.  Which, according to the facebook posts of many that I went to college with, is quite a "bummer"..

Vaporizers. and oils are still nice.
this is the right thing to do.
I wonder if Kasich was high the whole time he was on the campaign trail. All he did was eat.
I dont get it. So i cant smoke a joint. But if i buy a machine i can smoke it.
(06-09-2016, 12:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I dont get it. So i cant smoke a joint. But if i buy a machine i can smoke it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231894462205?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

but the hash version, and not hemp.
Time to put my nuts in the microwave.

[Image: MjY5MjE0MTI4_o_microwaving-your-balls---...-park-.jpg]
(06-09-2016, 12:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231894462205?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

but the hash version, and not hemp.

So one of these politicians has a major interest in a marijuana processing business. Load of shit. Its a step. But still a crooked step like the last measure that was on the ballot.
(06-09-2016, 01:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Time to put m y nuts in the microwave.

You gotta be smarter than Randy.
(06-09-2016, 01:20 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You gotta be smarter than Randy.

[Image: images3-300x161.jpg]
With so little research done who is the one that made the decision that these were the only acceptable medical conditions?

I see a group still wants to get it on the ballot. Grow and smoke your own. Hope this broke law gets fixed soon.
(06-09-2016, 01:31 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: With so little research done who is the one that made the decision that these were the only acceptable medical conditions?

I see a group still wants to get it on the ballot. Grow and smoke your own. Hope this broke law gets fixed soon.

It's better than nothing, and it's a step to getting it legalized completely.
(06-08-2016, 08:18 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You can get it in other states as soon as sep 9. if you have a qualifying doctor's note from that state (Michigan is the closest state).

I think that you have to be a resident of Ohio I think.
This is confusing me.

You mean that, as of September 9th, I'll be able to buy it in a state if I get a doctor's note from a doctor in that state?  But Ohio won't qualify for that, or will it after September 9th?
(06-08-2016, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You wouldn't be legally allowed to smoke it, even for medicinal use, even if you move to Ohio.  The rules are very specific on how the medicine is to be ingested.  Which, according to the facebook posts of many that I went to college with, is quite a "bummer"..
See below, but so it's perfect  ThumbsUp
(06-08-2016, 08:47 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Vaporizers. and oils are still nice.

Those are actually best for me because my lungs are so weak from when I hit a tree and one collapsed (then collapsed again while I was in a coma) and the other one was just damafgfed to hell and back (they both were).
(06-09-2016, 03:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This is confusing me.

You mean that, as of September 9th, I'll be able to buy it in a state if I get a doctor's note from a doctor in that state?  But Ohio won't qualify for that, or will it after September 9th?

Yes you can go to a state where it's already legal and buy it if you have a doctors note from that state after sep 6th (unless something changes). You wouldn't be able to get it in Ohio yet, because doctors must start apply to the Ohio State Medical Board for a certificate to recommend medical marijuana. I don't think they can apply for the certificate until later this year.
(06-09-2016, 12:51 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder if Kasich was high the whole time he was on the campaign trail. All he did was eat.

That would clear upnwhy he always did interviews while stuffing his face with food.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]