Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok I have to vent
This is based in politics, but I don’t think it has to go in P&R. It’s more about decency.

My daughter is 21. A senior at OSU and is a hostess at a restaurant. After work she was having a drink with a co-worker at the bar and he asked her what was wrong with Cincinnati? She asked what he meant. He said the named a highway after Ronald Reagan. She said I dont know. I think maybe he was a nice guy and a lot of people thought he was a good president. Then she said the guy started tearing into her telling her what an evil person he was and how he was the worst president ever. She’s like uhhh I was born 8 years after he left office and I don’t pay much attention to politics, but he just kept going on.

What I want to do, and know I can’t, I’d drive up there and tell him to shut his fat face. So I created a stupid thread instead.

Please I’m not talking about liberals here, just the actions of one man that ***** me off and I can’t and shouldn’t do anything about it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 04:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This is based in politics, but I don’t think it has to go in P&R. It’s more about decency.

My daughter is 21. A senior at OSU and is a hostess at a restaurant. After work she was having a drink with a co-worker at the bar and he asked her what was wrong with Cincinnati? She asked what he meant. He said the named a highway after Ronald Reagan. She said I dont know. I think maybe he was a nice guy and a lot of people thought he was a good president. Then she said the guy started tearing into her telling her what an evil person he was and how he was the worst president ever. She’s like uhhh I was born 8 years after he left office and I don’t pay much attention to politics, but he just kept going on.

What I want to do, and know I can’t, I’d drive up there and tell him to shut his fat face. So I created a stupid thread instead.

Please I’m not talking about liberals here, just the actions of one man that ***** me off and I can’t and shouldn’t do anything about it.

Your daughter needs better coworkers to hang with after work.
Reply/Quote
That guy obviously doesn't know much about the other presidents if he thinks Reagan was the worst (said in a very NON-p&r way too).

But anyways, yeah there are people out there so absorbed in their own opinions and thoughts, even as wrong as they can be, that they forget how to just be normal when around others.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
For a 30pk, I can take care of this for you? If you were a Steeler fan it would cost you $10,000. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 08:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: For a 30pk, I can take care of this for you? If you were a Steeler fan it would cost you $10,000. Ninja

But what if the guy were a Steeler fan?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 04:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This is based in politics, but I don’t think it has to go in P&R. It’s more about decency.

My daughter is 21. A senior at OSU and is a hostess at a restaurant. After work she was having a drink with a co-worker at the bar and he asked her what was wrong with Cincinnati?  She asked what he meant. He said the named a highway after Ronald Reagan. She said I dont know. I think maybe he was a nice guy and a lot of people thought he was a good president. Then she said the guy started tearing into her telling her what an evil person he was and how he was the worst president ever.  She’s like uhhh I was born 8 years after he left office and I don’t pay much attention to politics, but he just kept going on.  

While his position is defensible, talking politics with unwilling (which from your account your daughter certainly seemed) co-workers is not. 

Doubt it merits a reaction from you. I'm sure your daughter will pull the plug on future encounters with him outside the workplace. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 08:44 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: While his position is defensible, talking politics with unwilling (which from your account your daughter certainly seemed) co-workers is not. 

Doubt it merits a reaction from you. I'm sure your daughter will pull the plug on future encounters with him outside the workplace. 

No it doesn’t require a reaction from me, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting to. Which would be a mistake. She’s 21 and needs to deal with non-threatening things like this. And she’s fine. The only reason she called me is because she wanted to make sure she didn’t say anything offensive. I assured her saying she thought he was supposedly nice and a lot of people liked him was not offensive to any normal person.

I get this is a pretty silly thread, and I’d probably delete it if I could. I literally just wanted to vent.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 08:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No it doesn’t require a reaction from me, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting to. Which would be a mistake. She’s 21 and needs to deal with non-threatening things like this. And she’s fine. The only reason she called me is because she wanted to make sure she didn’t say anything offensive. I assured her saying she thought he was supposedly nice and a lot of people liked him was not offensive to any normal person.

I get this is a pretty silly thread, and I’d probably delete it if I could.  I literally just wanted to vent.

I'm sure your daughter has a good head on her shoulders. Needless to say, I don't think you'll ever need to worry about this guy being a potential suitor in the future LOL

Always good to vent. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 08:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But what if the guy were a Steeler fan?

Free of charge!

Reply/Quote
I think this thread is fine here so long as the conversation is concerning the interaction between michaelsean's daughter and the co-worker and similar situations rather than on the merits of any political figure or party.

That said up front, I think this is a good discussion to have: When has interjecting politics into a conversation gone too far?

In my job, I have to visit homes and commercial businesses all of the time. Every once in awhile, one of the owners will start trying to talk politics with me. I don't really appreciate that when I'm on the job, regardless of how similar or different their views are from my own. That's not what I am there for. I think that cornering contractors or vendors is a very insecure and low-class thing to do. It is also self-defeating. Presumably, someone does this to convince someone else that their views are best. But by approaching someone in this way, you basically convince them that you are a fool. And who wants to be involved with a cause favored by a fool.

Due to the nature of my work, my verbal interactions with people are extremely choreographed and rehearsed and focused on the information I need to obtain. When someone starts interjecting political comments in a conversation (usually the first time they bring it up is a 'feeler' to see how you will react), I ignore it. If they continue, here is what I do: I agree with everything they say. I'll nod my head "yes" or say "Good point". I'm not there to argue these points with this person at this time. And I never reveal any of my actual opinions. I'm there to do my job and go home. And I have found this is the best way to diffuse some people and get back on-track with the conversation I need to have with them.

I suppose this is what I would have done if I were in michaelsean's daughter's position, as well.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 10:48 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think this thread is fine here so long as the conversation is concerning the interaction between michaelsean's daughter and the co-worker and similar situations rather than on the merits of any political figure or party.

That said up front, I think this is a good discussion to have: When has interjecting politics into a conversation gone too far?

In my job, I have to visit homes and commercial businesses all of the time. Every once in awhile, one of the owners will start trying to talk politics with me. I don't really appreciate that when I'm on the job, regardless of how similar or different their views are from my own. That's not what I am there for. I think that cornering contractors or vendors is a very insecure and low-class thing to do. It is also self-defeating. Presumably, someone does this to convince someone else that their views are best. But by approaching someone in this way, you basically convince them that you are a fool. And who wants to be involved with a cause favored by a fool.

Due to the nature of my work, my verbal interactions with people are extremely choreographed and rehearsed and focused on the information I need to obtain. When someone starts interjecting political comments in a conversation (usually the first time they bring it up is a 'feeler' to see how you will react), I ignore it. If they continue, here is what I do: I agree with everything they say. I'll nod my head "yes" or say "Good point". I'm not there to argue these points with this person at this time. And I never reveal any of my actual opinions. I'm there to do my job and go home. And I have found this is the best way to diffuse some people and get back on-track with the conversation I need to have with them.

I suppose this is what I would have done if I were in michaelsean's daughter's position, as well.

Going to go out on a limb and say she was probably not as prepared as you. I totally feel you though. I’ve gotten those political jabs for reaction myself. Much like you, my responses are like yours. A simple nod usually satisfies and I don’t open myself to political attacks.

Reply/Quote
Right now it seems like nobody cares about politics and I say good riddance. Last year and the year before that is all people talked about and I basically told some people I don't want to talk about that stuff, I'm sick of it all. I was fired up at the time of the election but for the last year I haven't followed much of it. 2 years from now it ramps back up again, ugh.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 01:34 AM)packerbacker Wrote: Right now it seems like nobody cares about politics and I say good riddance. Last year and the year before that is all people talked about and I basically told some people I don't want to talk about that stuff, I'm sick of it all. I was fired up at the time of the election but for the last year I haven't followed much of it. 2 years from now it ramps back up again, ugh.

It’s depressing that’s for sure.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 10:48 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think this thread is fine here so long as the conversation is concerning the interaction between michaelsean's daughter and the co-worker and similar situations rather than on the merits of any political figure or party.

Definitely the best approach.  I think she was just caught unawares by an offhanded question and threw out a guess.  Lesson learned.  

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 10:05 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Definitely the best approach.  I think she was just caught unawares by an offhanded question and threw out a guess.  Lesson learned.  

She's young and this is probably the first time it has happened. Lord knows I would have been the same way at her age. I guess one's first encounter with a "non-internet troll" always goes that way.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

My daughter is 21. A senior at OSU and is a hostess at a restaurant. After work she was having a drink with a co-worker at the bar and he asked her what was wrong with Cincinnati?  She asked what he meant. He said the named a highway after Ronald Reagan. She said I dont know. I think maybe he was a nice guy and a lot of people thought he was a good president. Then she said the guy started tearing into her telling her what an evil person he was and how he was the worst president ever.  She’s like uhhh I was born 8 years after he left office and I don’t pay much attention to politics, but he just kept going on.  

that's when you just walk away from the conversation...   Look its not her fault someone in the town she came from named a road something.

Here is how she should respond to future questions about Cincinnati and help the city stay true..

Q: What the hell is wrong with Cincinnati?

A: IDK But its not have as much as whats going on with your face.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 01:34 AM)packerbacker Wrote: Right now it seems like nobody cares about politics and I say good riddance. Last year and the year before that is all people talked about and I basically told some people I don't want to talk about that stuff, I'm sick of it all. I was fired up at the time of the election but for the last year I haven't followed much of it. 2 years from now it ramps back up again, ugh.

I have told all my friends.... I do not care what their Political preference is and anyone using facebook and the such to push their political agendas will be removed from FB...

Especially with salty political memes....       It was bad I don't remember so many people crying like little bitches so badly ever before...   (and that's me nicely calling out some of my friends/family)
Reply/Quote
Why does Ezzard Charles have a street, but Aaron Pryor doesn't?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 02:00 PM)jason Wrote: Why does Ezzard Charles have a street, but Aaron Pryor doesn't?

why don't we have a jerry springer parkway?
Reply/Quote
Politics is the new religion. People feel the need to "preach the truth".

People now try to interject political beliefs in inappropriate conversations the same way religious people do with their beliefs. And they get as passionate and fired up about politics as religion..
Reply/Quote