“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:
I don't even know what to say about this...so I will just do this

Cry

I'm trying to figure out what's more amazing about this stat to me, the repeatable dead cat bounce and the coaching decisions as a result, or just how often Pittsburgh was involved.  
Reply/Quote
Don't forget 2017 when the Bengals were 5-9 going into the final two games, and then they won the last two. Many thought the Bengals were going to move on from Marvin Lewis after that season, but he likely held on for another year because of those two wins. I realize it's not a win against PIT, but it's still end-of-season wins that were meaningless.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Who knew the dead cat bounce referred to a bouncing dead tiger?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Don't forget 2017 when the Bengals were 5-9 going into the final two games, and then they won the last two. Many thought the Bengals were going to move on from Marvin Lewis after that season, but he likely held on for another year because of those two wins. I realize it's not a win against PIT, but it's still end-of-season wins that were meaningless.

I vaguely remember this but if I am correct, the team played with similar energy that they showed against Steelers and actually looked good...
yikes.

So Are we in Hell????? Shocked
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The difference is ZT was in no real danger of losing his job.. really a Bengal board thing .. i have not seen really any networks or analyst say ZT was on the hot seat.. The management has not said anything and with Burrow endorsement as a HC I really never took the Bengal Board threads that serious since they lacked any journalist substance and were just opinion.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:32 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'm trying to figure out what's more amazing about this stat to me, the repeatable dead cat bounce and the coaching decisions as a result, or just how often Pittsburgh was involved.  

The Steeler hate is real.  Years ago, it use to be the Browns, but even with Bradshaw, the hate was real because of some cheap shots on Bengal Punter who was probably smarter than everyone in the stadium until after that hit.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The difference is ZT was in no real danger of losing his job.. really a Bengal board thing .. i have not seen really any networks or analist say ZT was on the hot seat.. The management has not said anything and with Burrow endorsement as a HC I really never took the Bengal Board threads that serious since they lacked any journalist substance and were just opinion.

Most sources and conjecture stem from a comment someone in the FO made.  The Bengals are notoriously tight-lipped about things and don't let leaks out.  So I wouldn't expect to hear anything from management, and I wouldn't expect analysts to have the same feel that they can get from some other teams.  

The fact that ZT hasn't been on the hot seat is just as much conjecture as whether he has been.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The difference is ZT was in no real danger of losing his job.. really a Bengal board thing .. i have not seen really any networks or analist say ZT was on the hot seat.. The management has not said anything and with Burrow endorsement as a HC I really never took the Bengal Board threads that serious since they lacked any journalist substance and were just opinion.

That right there is the glaring stench of the Mike Brown era.  No incentive to win.  none.  nada.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Most sources and conjecture stem from a comment someone in the FO made.  The Bengals are notoriously tight-lipped about things and don't let leaks out.  So I wouldn't expect to hear anything from management, and I wouldn't expect analysts to have the same feel that they can get from some other teams.  

The fact that ZT hasn't been on the hot seat is just as much conjecture as whether he has been.  

Like I stated. the discussion has been opinion within Bengals Board.. not real validity to it... the experts and in the know pretty much said no real chance he was on the hot seat
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Like I stated. the discussion has been opinion within Bengals Board.. not real validity to it... the experts and in the know pretty much said no real chance he was on the hot seat

My memory is pretty short sometimes, but weren't we all sitting here until the day Mike Brown announced Marvin was being fired wondering if he would be?  Because there was no clear communication in advance it would happen?  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I vaguely remember this but if I am correct, the team played with similar energy that they showed against Steelers and actually looked good...
yikes.

So Are we in Hell????? Shocked

Yea, this was when CIN beat BAL the last game of the season to keep them out of the playoffs and BUF got in because of it.
I imagine the logic behind keeping Marvin was that the players played so hard even though there was no chance for a postseason, so they must be doing it for the coach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Taylor was coming back even if we got stomped Monday...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The difference is ZT was in no real danger of losing his job.. really a Bengal board thing .. i have not seen really any networks or analyst say ZT was on the hot seat.. The management has not said anything and with Burrow endorsement as a HC I really never took the Bengal Board threads that serious since they lacked any journalist substance and were just opinion.

Yeah, how silly of the board to think a coach with 5 wins in 2 years should be fired.

On EVERY NFL team hes fired...but here.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Like I stated. the discussion has been opinion within Bengals Board.. not real validity to it... the experts and in the know pretty much said no real chance he was on the hot seat

And the experts basically are making fun of our terrible management with that statement.
Reply/Quote
Makes you wonder if Pitt strategically throws these games as it’s a nice long term divisional win having a bad coach stay...
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The difference is ZT was in no real danger of losing his job.. really a Bengal board thing .. i have not seen really any networks or analyst say ZT was on the hot seat.. The management has not said anything and with Burrow endorsement as a HC I really never took the Bengal Board threads that serious since they lacked any journalist substance and were just opinion.

Many 'experts' thought Marvin was going to be fired after the '17 season and brought back after the '18 season. They were wrong both times. No one knows if Mike was always dead set on keeping Zac, whether he's considered a change or if he's still undecided. The only person who knows that is Mike. Everything else is 'just opinion'.
Reply/Quote
Something about teams performing better when there is no pressure to make the playoffs. The Jets have played better. The Giants.

It's really hard to play bad all year.
Reply/Quote
Shula was a master of meaningless wins.

1992 Bengals - Shula won 1 of last 2.
1993 - Won 2 of last 3. 3-13
1994 - Won last game. 3-13
1995 - Won 4 of last 7. 7-9
1996 - Fired
Reply/Quote

You don't know that at all.

As far as the networks and analysts are concerned, how in the hell would they know unless someone from the family granted an interview or made a statement? (They don't do that in-season, never have) And it's  kinda hard to find a leak in our front office when it's made up of 3 family members and Duke Tobin.

Not to mention, maybe they hadn't made their mind up yet.  Maybe they wanted to let the season play out.  Why would there be grumblings of his being let go if no decision had been reached yet?  You really think the Bengals would make up their mind 8 games into the season and then let that info get out?

Everything that surrounds this franchise is speculation.  That front office and their motivations are like Fort Knox.  No one knows what's going on there unless they choose to let you know.  And there's no way it ever gets out without coming from their mouths, or with their approval.

I'd love to see this Joe Burrow quote, sorry I mean "endorsement" that everybody's always referencing.  Cuz I've never seen anything of the sort.  I don't believe, as others obviously do, that Joe is stupid enough, and to think his opinion matters enough, to come out and say he wants Zac Taylor to keep his job.

Joe Burrow - "Me and Zac work well together.  We have a great relationship."  (Typical playerspeak/fluff)

JN Homers - "See, Joe Burrow just endorsed a 3rd year for Zac Taylor.  He may want to leave if we fire him!"
Reply/Quote