Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay time to settle down
We did not have the best game by our #1's against the Cowboys, in their stadium and with Dallas getting its usual home cooking officiating. The right side of the OL looked bad which threw everything out of sync and the first team defense also had a bad drive.

Guess what? We knew this would happen. The OL rebuild is not a completed work and no one ever claimed it was. LT and C are worlds better than the last two seasons and LG is solid but RG and RT are up in the air - and tonight Hart got owned. But preseason is a better time to see this than the regular season. Hopefully we can either trade for or find on waivers a competent RT.

So the team are neither world beaters nor the worst. This is a work in progress, and hopefully we see improvement next week especially as Game 3 is the dress rehearsal for regular season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 02:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: We did not have the best game by our #1's against the Cowboys, in their stadium and with Dallas getting its usual home cooking officiating. The right side of the OL looked bad which threw everything out of sync and the first team defense also had a bad drive.

Guess what? We knew this would happen. The OL rebuild is not a completed work and no one ever claimed it was. LT and C are worlds better than the last two seasons and LG is solid but RG and RT are up in the air - and tonight Hart got owned. But preseason is a better time to see this than the regular season. Hopefully we can either trade for or find on waivers a competent RT.

So the team are neither world beaters nor the worst. This is a work in progress, and hopefully we see improvement next week especially as Game 3 is the dress rehearsal for regular season.

Some fans in off season said Westerman at RG and on 2nd string he has made some good blocks. Before looking to other teams, it could be the wrong blockers are on 2nd string. Nothing should be set in stone with these starters and if somebody isn't cutting it, look to the 2nd string more. Many fans have suggested Fisher at RT in off season.  Whoever protects our QB and opens running lanes is all I care about. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 02:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: We did not have the best game by our #1's against the Cowboys, in their stadium and with Dallas getting its usual home cooking officiating. The right side of the OL looked bad which threw everything out of sync and the first team defense also had a bad drive.

next week is the dress rehearsal. I certainly hope we show better than we did against Dallas. I get awful tired of having to say this each year, but just wait and see!

Reply/Quote
Well, since this seems to be the "try to say something nice" thread, here goes.

After two preseason games, Billy Price has not had one bad snap in game action. While every time Andy dropped back to pass last night, there was pressure in the backfield, none seemed to be coming through Price's slot. The best rushing play from the starting unit went, (you guessed it) straight up the middle.

After a performance leaving many things to ***** about, at least Billy Price is not one of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't think Dalton has ever had a decent game in the state of Texas. Even on teams with Whit and Zeitler.

AS A BENGAL SMH
Reply/Quote
I saw Demarcus Lawrence throw Bobby Hart around like a rag doll on many plays. Just put him flat on his ass.

That was funny to watch. That's the only nice thing I can say about the first team O last night.
Reply/Quote
Erickson looked much better.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:21 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I don't think Dalton has ever had a decent game in the state of Texas. Even on teams with Whit and Zeitler.

Which is weird wasn’t he pretty damn good at TCU?

Reply/Quote
Can we start the player known as Ogfishart? Stuff all 3 into one uniform so defensive linemen can't get around them in time  . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We need to look at Redmund at RT and Westerman at RG. Why not? Nothing else is worth a damn that we've thrown out there.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

Thanks for some rationality around here Joelist. I always knew it would take time for the O-line and new coaches
to gel. Just happy we got a bad showing out of the way in Preseason. Game 3 you can usually tell a lot more about
your team as they play the starters usually the first half. Thinking we will most definately be looking to add atleast
one RT come cutdown day.

Or we could do the backup plan and move either Glenn or Boling over to RT, sure both of them would be major
upgrades there but even than it will take time for the new O-line to gain chemistry.
Reply/Quote

The officiating was horrible.  The WR for the Bengals were mugged.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:21 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I don't think Dalton has ever had a decent game in the state of Texas. Even on teams with Whit and Zeitler.

Dalton had some good games in Texas...in high school
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Dalton had some good games in Texas...in high school

And in college...

But he definately has had a rough go of it in the NFL that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
Not too worried about last night overall just concerned about RT mostly. Its preseason game 2 so there is no real game plan, its more like going over stuff you need to get worked out and gain film on. We certainly added some film to go over, especially the right side OL. Overall we won the game so there was more to cheer than boo, but the biggest issue us fans have been worried about (RT) showed itself last night and that creates doubt and worry. We will get things worked out tho. I feel like we'll be fine.
Reply/Quote

I agree, one goal in preseason is to expose weaknesses so you can fix them. I also think we decided to plan zone a lot more to practice paying a zone. Yes, zone play exposes LB covering a TE as it is not man to man coverage, they have an area to cover, not a specific player
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The officiating was horrible.  The WR for the Bengals were mugged.  

The ball that ended up tipped to Ross was holding, then pass interference and neither was called. Hard to extend your arms to catch a pass with the DB has you wrapped up, prior to the ball arriving.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote