Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okeana - 2022 1.0
This is a first draft pre-combine mock.  I'm basing this off of multiple big boards with the best-case scenarios.

Projected Cap with rollover 58 Million

Team Cuts

Trey Hopkins - 6 Million
Trae Waynes - 10.8 million
Hakeem Adenji - 1 million
Samajae Perine - 1.5 million
Elijah Holyfield - 0.75 million

Team Signings

Jesse Bates - fs - 14 million
Trent Brown - rt -  10 Million
Ben Jones - c - 7 million
James daniels - rg - 10 million
Connor Williams - lg - 7 million
Rob Gronkowski - TE - 7 million
Casey Hayward - cb - 6.5 million
BJ Hill - DT - 8 Million

Remaining cap before restructures - 8.75 million

Draft Picks

31.  Kenyon Green - G - Texas A&M

[Image: 4431020.png]

Kenyon Green is a former 5-star recruit out of the state of Texas. Green became an immediate starter for the Aggies and has notched more than 35 starts in his three-year career. Green is an experienced starter that has played multiple positions along the offensive line—every position but center. Green has natural functional strength that he uses to become a true road grader in the run game. Offensive coordinators will find it beneficial to call run plays that follow behind Green's path. As a pass protector, Green possesses quickness that he uses to mirror defenders and become a dominant interior pass protector. Green is a versatile offensive lineman that has amassed a ton of experience throughout his career. Green has the athleticism and physical temperament to become an instant starter and a future All-Pro offensive lineman.

63.  Nicholas Petit-Frere - T - OSU

[Image: Petite-Frere_Nicholas-092-1024x819.jpg]

Ohio State left tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere projects favorably to the next level as a starting tackle. He’s a natural on the left side of the line, as his footwork and movement skills appear to be smoother when manning the left tackle spot. We’ve gotten a good look at Petit-Frere in both settings, as he was a full-time starter for the Buckeyes in 2020 at right tackle before transitioning to left tackle in 2021 and occasionally adding reps at right tackle for a series or two throughout the course of the season. Petit-Frere has excellent physical tools and offers the kind of frame that is meant to play on the edge. He’s long, dense, and fluid as an athlete, offering a promising skill set for an NFL team to continue to tinker with in an effort to reach his high ceiling. There are some technical and instinctual lapses that pop up from time to time in his footwork and angles, but generally speaking, Petit-Frere has overwhelmed most opponents with his blend of traits. I like him best in a zone-heavy offense, as that’s what he was asked to execute most frequently at Ohio State, but I think he’s conceptually a scheme flexible player that can drive block, step and flow laterally to run backside cutoff, or take vertical sets in deep-set passing—which Ohio State did a fair amount of out of play-action passes. I’m highly encouraged by the development we’ve seen from Petit-Frere over the course of his time in Columbus. He’s successfully maintained an athletic profile worthy of a first-round tackle despite reportedly adding some 40 pounds onto his frame since first arriving on campus. That’s a testament to how athletic he really is and suggests he’s continuing to grow and mature into his NFL-caliber frame.

95.  Jalen Wydermyer - TE - Texas A&M

Jalen Wydermyer is a playmaker at the tight end position whose game will surely translate to the next level. Wydermyer had immediate success at Texas A&M as he started as a true freshman and earned Freshman All-American honors. Physically, Wydermyer is exactly what you want at the tight end position with outstanding size and very good overall athleticism. His bread and butter are his ability to win as a receiving tight end. He offers a huge frame and an extremely large catch radius to give his quarterback an easy target. Wydermyer has good body control and displays natural hands and catches the ball cleanly. He is a build-to-speed runner who lacks an explosive burst but can cover ground with a long stride. Wydermyer is a good route-runner, showing suddenness at the top of the stem and good flexibility to open up and change direction. Wydermyer is very good after the catch with quickness and change of direction and also offers power when breaking tackles. In the run game, Wydermyer could stand to add strength as he rarely generates movement at the point of attack. He needs to continue to work on his hand placement as a blocker and keeping his pad level low to work leverage. While there is room for improvement as a blocker, you cannot question his effort and willingness to work.

134. Tyler Badie - RB - Missouri

Tyler Badie was a 3-star recruit coming out of Briarcrest Christian. He played in the AutoZone High School All-Star Game. He was a Tennessee Titans Division 2 Class AAA Mr. Football nominee. Badie was a two-sport athlete, adding basketball to his resume. According to 247 Sports, he ranked as the No. 28 all-purpose back and No. 43 recruit in the state of Tennessee. He is known as a dynamic space player that excels with the football in his hands. He is electric with incredible burst and speed to take it the distance. 2021 was his first season as a bell cow or workhorse running back and he did not disappoint.

173. Haskell Garrett - DT - OSU

Haskell Garrett was a 4-star recruit coming out of Bishop Gorman High School. According to 247 Sports, Garrett ranked as the No. 68 player in the nation, No. 6 DT, and No. 4 in the state of Nevada. Garrett is a four-time varsity letter winner who has played on four Big Ten championship teams the past four years. He was a First-Team All-American in 2020. He is a vertical attacking defensive lineman. He plays with an explosive first step and leverage to defeat his opponents. His powerful hands create issues for opposing OL to control him in one-on-one situations. Despite his power, he struggles as a two-gapper and against double teams. He’s best used as a solo-gap penetrator.

207.  Luke Fortner - C - Kentucky

223.  Kyler McMichael - CB - North Carolina

249.  Michael Woods II - WR - Oklahoma

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Kenyon Green, Nicholas Petit-Frere, and Jalen Wydermyer would be a big step toward rebuilding the Bengals offensive front. Sneaking Luke Fortner who I really liked at the Senior bowl late in the draft capped it off.

Question is why did you go all out in Free Agency OL then drafted OL high?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice job on the free agent signings and drafted players, but I have one question. Aren't both of our backup Safeties deals finished? Who did we sign to cover those spots? Won't we also be needing a Punter? Those cost some money, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hate the idea behind what you did in this. I like a lot of the players, but to sign 4 linemen in FA and then take 2 with the first couple picks is massive overkill. There's no point in doing that. You will have your draft picks buried on the bench for a couple of years.

If you go all out in FA, then you have to use the draft to balance out with BPA. This team has more holes than just O line.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 01:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Kenyon Green, Nicholas Petit-Frere, and Jalen Wydermyer would be a big step toward rebuilding the Bengals offensive front. Sneaking Luke Fortner who I really liked at the Senior bowl late in the draft capped it off.

Question is why did you go all out in Free Agency OL then drafted OL high?

Because we need vets now and it allows these guys to develop and be medical backups. I would sign most of these guys to 2-3 year contracts that allows us to move on when draft guys are ready.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 03:25 PM)Okeana Wrote: Because we need vets now and it allows these guys to develop and be medical backups.  I would sign most of these guys to 2-3 year contracts that allows us to move on when draft guys are ready.

In theory that sounds great, but the odds of signing top tier free agents to 2-3 year deals isn't exactly realistic  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 03:25 PM)Okeana Wrote: Because we need vets now and it allows these guys to develop and be medical backups.  I would sign most of these guys to 2-3 year contracts that allows us to move on when draft guys are ready.

I considered having the same plan but you have a high chance of that plan backfiring on you for one of the following reasons:

A. Rookies have 4 year contracts. By sitting they waste 2-3 years of valuable time/cap
B. Rookies will want to show early that they are capable/superstars for future paydays. By sitting them you cut your likelihood of resigning them wasting the time invested.
3. We need to be in win now mode. By spending high capital on back up/future starters, you don't take advantage of Burrow's contract now.
Reply/Quote
I like the breakdown of the salary numbers. If we invest that much in the oline in free agency than I would rather not go oline in Rds 1 and 2. If we went LB in Rd 2 I would really like this scenario. I'm also really liking the idea of getting a really good LT in free agency pushing Jonah to the RT. Then also get one of the top RGs also in free agency and retaining Spain. Then draft best Oline available in 1 I'm thinking it may be Zion who plays LG. I really think that would really fix our oline while giving us valuable depth.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 04:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: In theory that sounds great, but the odds of signing top tier free agents to 2-3 year deals isn't exactly realistic  

Nope never is that’s why the preface is there. This is my first run through the free agent and draft class. These are guys I like at first glance

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 09:27 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I like the breakdown of the salary numbers. If we invest that much in the oline in free agency than I would rather not go oline in Rds 1 and 2. If we went LB in Rd 2 I would really like this scenario. I'm also really liking the idea of getting a really good LT in free agency pushing Jonah to the RT. Then also get one of the top RGs also in free agency and retaining Spain. Then draft best Oline available in 1 I'm thinking it may be Zion who plays LG. I really think that would really fix our oline while giving us valuable depth.

I’m not big on Spain, he only looks decent because of contrast. If I were to move williams anywhere it would be left guard. I think he could be a top tier guard

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 10:24 PM)Okeana Wrote: I’m not big on Spain, he only looks decent because of contrast.  If I were to move williams anywhere it would be left guard.  I think he could be a top tier guard

The last play of the superbowl Donald blew past Spain so I certainly can't argue that in a perfect world I would want to replace him. I just think if he can be retained at a relatively low cost he gives us depth while also some freedom in the draft. So if in the 1st rd if a rt is there we like then we could do what your suggesting and if theyre gone and you go with Zion then hopefully he works out as the starter but if not you have the depth to accommodate. But we do need some drastic repositioning on the line. I think we do need to move Jonah to another position as he gave up 8 sacks this year and that just doesn't seem to be what you want with your LT. It could lead to a bad position when it comes time to potentially resign him.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 11:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The last play of the superbowl Donald blew past Spain so I certainly can't argue that in a perfect world I would want to replace him. I just think if he can be retained at a relatively low cost he gives us depth while also some freedom in the draft. So if in the 1st rd if a rt is there we like then we could do what your suggesting and if theyre gone and you go with Zion then hopefully he works out as the starter but if not you have the depth to accommodate. But we do need some drastic repositioning on the line. I think we do need to move Jonah to another position as he gave up 8 sacks this year and that just doesn't seem to be what you want with your LT. It could lead to a bad position when it comes time to potentially resign him.

That's fine if you want him as a backup to play for a million a year, but the money investment needs to be made to make sure that next year Joe doesn't get touched.  It's been two years of him getting completely hammered both ending with knee injuries.  If they run Spain out as a starter next year then I see no hope for the organization.  This is an absolutely great free-agent class for not only offensive linemen but guys who can fit our system.  The stars have really aligned for us to create something special.  Everyone knows that cap space is an imaginary figure for owners to be cheap, time to push all the chips in.

Reply/Quote
First off....love the players/value in the draft but I have to agree with some other comments. You do not sign 4 FA O-Lineman and then spend your best draft capital at the same spot. I love what you did in Free Agency and James Daniels and Connor Williams are both 24. If you sign those guys they are part of the present and the future. Ben Jones is a little older but is coming off his two best seasons in the NFL so you may get a couple of years out of him. Trent Brown is 28 which isn't exactly old but with his injury history you probably hope to sign him to a two year deal. I feel like they think they have the developmental guys in the building now to replace a spot or two in Jackson Carman and D'Ante Smith. Love it or hate it those guys are not going anywhere and there is only so many spots alloted for O-Line.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a pair of quality 24 year old guards, then turn around and draft a G in Round 1.  NPF doesn't make much sense, either, since one would have to assume that Carman would move back to being a developmental T after the Green pick.  

This off-season would also leave us with no backup QB or decent depth at WR, CB, and S.  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a pair of quality 24 year old guards, then turn around and draft a G in Round 1.  NPF doesn't make much sense, either, since one would have to assume that Carman would move back to being a developmental T after the Green pick.  

This off-season would also leave us with no backup QB or decent depth at WR, CB, and S.  

It only makes sense if Ben Jones is on a 1 year deal and James Daniels moves to center while Kenyon Green takes over at RG in year 2. Of course then you just moved your 10+ million per year Right Guard to a position he has little NFL experience.

NPF makes more sense as a backup swing tackle and the possibilty to take over if they decide not to give Jonah Williams his 5th year option.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:19 PM)Synric Wrote: It only makes sense if Ben Jones is on a 1 year deal and James Daniels moves to center while Kenyon Green takes over at RG in year 2. Of course then you just moved your 10+ million per year Right Guard to a position he has little NFL experience.

NPF makes more sense as a backup swing tackle and the possibilty to take over if they decide not to give Jonah Williams his 5th year option.

Jones is older, but he's still a quality starter and has only missed 1 game in his career.  Hard to see him settling for a one year deal.  

NPF has a lot of issues and I've seen it said that he would have been better off staying in school.  With his play strength issues it's tough to see him even being 2nd team with Jonah, Brown, Carman, Prince, and Smith on the roster. He probably just eats up a roster spot and doesn't dress as a rookie.  Hard to spend a 2nd rounder on yet another developmental T that doesn't have a ton of upside.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 06:49 PM)Okeana Wrote: This is a first draft pre-combine mock.  I'm basing this off of multiple big boards with the best-case scenarios.

Projected Cap with rollover 58 Million

Team Cuts

Trey Hopkins - 6 Million
Trae Waynes - 10.8 million
Hakeem Adenji - 1 million
Samajae Perine - 1.5 million
Elijah Holyfield - 0.75 million

Team Signings

Jesse Bates - fs - 14 million
Trent Brown - rt -  10 Million
Ben Jones - c - 7 million
James daniels - rg - 10 million
Connor Williams - lg - 7 million
Rob Gronkowski - TE - 7 million
Casey Hayward - cb - 6.5 million
BJ Hill - DT - 8 Million

Remaining cap before restructures - 8.75 million

Draft Picks

31.  Kenyon Green - G - Texas A&M

[Image: 4431020.png]

Kenyon Green is a former 5-star recruit out of the state of Texas. Green became an immediate starter for the Aggies and has notched more than 35 starts in his three-year career. Green is an experienced starter that has played multiple positions along the offensive line—every position but center. Green has natural functional strength that he uses to become a true road grader in the run game. Offensive coordinators will find it beneficial to call run plays that follow behind Green's path. As a pass protector, Green possesses quickness that he uses to mirror defenders and become a dominant interior pass protector. Green is a versatile offensive lineman that has amassed a ton of experience throughout his career. Green has the athleticism and physical temperament to become an instant starter and a future All-Pro offensive lineman.

63.  Nicholas Petit-Frere - T - OSU

[Image: Petite-Frere_Nicholas-092-1024x819.jpg]

Ohio State left tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere projects favorably to the next level as a starting tackle. He’s a natural on the left side of the line, as his footwork and movement skills appear to be smoother when manning the left tackle spot. We’ve gotten a good look at Petit-Frere in both settings, as he was a full-time starter for the Buckeyes in 2020 at right tackle before transitioning to left tackle in 2021 and occasionally adding reps at right tackle for a series or two throughout the course of the season. Petit-Frere has excellent physical tools and offers the kind of frame that is meant to play on the edge. He’s long, dense, and fluid as an athlete, offering a promising skill set for an NFL team to continue to tinker with in an effort to reach his high ceiling. There are some technical and instinctual lapses that pop up from time to time in his footwork and angles, but generally speaking, Petit-Frere has overwhelmed most opponents with his blend of traits. I like him best in a zone-heavy offense, as that’s what he was asked to execute most frequently at Ohio State, but I think he’s conceptually a scheme flexible player that can drive block, step and flow laterally to run backside cutoff, or take vertical sets in deep-set passing—which Ohio State did a fair amount of out of play-action passes. I’m highly encouraged by the development we’ve seen from Petit-Frere over the course of his time in Columbus. He’s successfully maintained an athletic profile worthy of a first-round tackle despite reportedly adding some 40 pounds onto his frame since first arriving on campus. That’s a testament to how athletic he really is and suggests he’s continuing to grow and mature into his NFL-caliber frame.

95.  Jalen Wydermyer - TE - Texas A&M

Jalen Wydermyer is a playmaker at the tight end position whose game will surely translate to the next level. Wydermyer had immediate success at Texas A&M as he started as a true freshman and earned Freshman All-American honors. Physically, Wydermyer is exactly what you want at the tight end position with outstanding size and very good overall athleticism. His bread and butter are his ability to win as a receiving tight end. He offers a huge frame and an extremely large catch radius to give his quarterback an easy target. Wydermyer has good body control and displays natural hands and catches the ball cleanly. He is a build-to-speed runner who lacks an explosive burst but can cover ground with a long stride. Wydermyer is a good route-runner, showing suddenness at the top of the stem and good flexibility to open up and change direction. Wydermyer is very good after the catch with quickness and change of direction and also offers power when breaking tackles. In the run game, Wydermyer could stand to add strength as he rarely generates movement at the point of attack. He needs to continue to work on his hand placement as a blocker and keeping his pad level low to work leverage. While there is room for improvement as a blocker, you cannot question his effort and willingness to work.

134. Tyler Badie - RB - Missouri

Tyler Badie was a 3-star recruit coming out of Briarcrest Christian. He played in the AutoZone High School All-Star Game. He was a Tennessee Titans Division 2 Class AAA Mr. Football nominee. Badie was a two-sport athlete, adding basketball to his resume. According to 247 Sports, he ranked as the No. 28 all-purpose back and No. 43 recruit in the state of Tennessee. He is known as a dynamic space player that excels with the football in his hands. He is electric with incredible burst and speed to take it the distance. 2021 was his first season as a bell cow or workhorse running back and he did not disappoint.

173. Haskell Garrett - DT - OSU

Haskell Garrett was a 4-star recruit coming out of Bishop Gorman High School. According to 247 Sports, Garrett ranked as the No. 68 player in the nation, No. 6 DT, and No. 4 in the state of Nevada. Garrett is a four-time varsity letter winner who has played on four Big Ten championship teams the past four years. He was a First-Team All-American in 2020. He is a vertical attacking defensive lineman. He plays with an explosive first step and leverage to defeat his opponents. His powerful hands create issues for opposing OL to control him in one-on-one situations. Despite his power, he struggles as a two-gapper and against double teams. He’s best used as a solo-gap penetrator.

207.  Luke Fortner - C - Kentucky

223.  Kyler McMichael - CB - North Carolina

249.  Michael Woods II - WR - Oklahoma

I'd love the FA, and I really like the players selected on Day 1 and Day 2.
With that said, I would echo what some others are saying and maybe look to not go so OL-heavy early given the studs added in FA.
I've never been a fan of having a 1st or 2nd rounder be a backup multiple years.
Given the young age of Daniels and Williams, I'd probably swap Green with a CB.
I'd be super nervous about what could occur if Awuzie or Hayward misses time, as there's no depth behind them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote