Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okeana's final mock 2018
Thumbs Up 
Leading off I want to say this is a mix of what I feel the Bengals will do and what I think they should do. While early on I was preaching that we should take guys like Wynn and Hernandez in the first round at this point I don't feel they make it to our pick because their draft stock has gone way up.

Round 1 - Jaire Alexander - CB - Louisville

[Image: 611919074.jpg.0.jpg]

While things have changed at bengals HQ i simply cannot see them not drafting a CB in round 1 after evaluating who's left at our pick. I feel the best OT's ( if you want to call them that ) and guards will be picked by our spot and while there is a chance we draft a guy like Daniels at center because of need I just don't see them drafting a round 1 center when you can get one in the next couple of round without much falloff.

Jaire fits the mold of the type of corner we will look to replace Adam Jones with and they have very similar builds and play style. While i think Josh Jackson has a bit better ball skills, Jaire is the better all around corner and offers the added benefit of being a great punt returner. He has good ball skills, long arms, and is above average in both man and zone coverage's.

Round 2 - James Daniels - C - Iowa

[Image: 869607382.jpg.0.jpg]

I know what your thinking and your right this guy may be gone, but I think Price may go before him and we may package some picks and move up to get him in early round 2. Regardless he's probably the best pure center in this years draft and while he's mostly a zone guy coming out of college, I think he will add 10 to 15 pounds of muscle in an NFL weight program that will allow him to play power run schemes as well.

Round 3 - Tim Settle - DT - Virginia Tech

[Image: tim_settle_2017_01.jpg]

Big strong DT that could shed a couple of pounds, but can play up and down the line. This is a guy who will be drafted in 2-3rd round but could be a pro bowl talent. The bengal's have been searching for a guy who could be the run stuffing force who can also rush the passer.

Round 3 pick 2 - BJ Hill - DT - NC State

[Image: bj-hill-adf30c14b314e528.jpg]

I have to confess that BJ Hill is one of my obsessions in this years draft as a guy who could play in rotation with atkins without much falloff. I think he would fit our system perfectly and if he were to shed some weight I could even see him playing at DE with his burst and hands.

Round 4 - Alex Kappa - OT - Humboldt State

[Image: alexcappa.jpg]
Some people are still sleeping on this guy, but I think he could be a day 1 starter at Right Tackle and only falls because he went to a small school. I would take him in round 3, but feel that round 4 is probably where he will be drafted. TBH he is one of my favorite Tackles in this draft and he can always kick inside at guard.

Round 4- Royce Freeman - RB - Oregon

[Image: 636279867210206606-USATSI-9588469.jpg]

Big north south runner who can play special teams and be a goal line guy. This is a very deep draft of running backs and we need a guy with a contrasting style to what we already have. He is a total steal in the 4th if he falls which is totally possible in this class.

Round 5 - Micah Kiser - LB - Virginia

Bengals like Linebackers with instincts and Kiser has that in spades. He isn't the most athletic guy, but he sure does make a lot of plays. Special teams and rotational guy.

Round 5 - Luke Falk - QB - Washington State

Accurate QB who hates pressure. Has the potential to be a drew brees type player as he matures and thats not a joke. solid backup.

Round 5 - J. C. Jackson - CB - Maryland

Small fast press corner to cover slot receivers and add depth rotational value. depth guy who falls because of off the field issues. Bungals

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
hope you guys enjoy this mock. I wanted to give some different looks for people who may be burned out on people posting the same ol picks every day on these boards. whodey!

Reply/Quote
LOVe bj hill. We share the obsession. Not sure on back to back DTACKLE but hey a lot of talent on the mock here
Reply/Quote
Gotta say, I am not in love with your 1st pick. IMO there are better players available at 21. The rest I would be happy with though.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 12:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Gotta say, I am not in love with your 1st pick. IMO there are better players available at 21. The rest I would be happy with though.

I agree, but corner is typically what they do and IMO some of the better picks would be gone by 21.  He is an impressive corner prospect, but what makes him special is his ability to play the ball and man corner in the slot.  Hes pacman without the character issues and when chosing corners it came down between him and josh jackson.  I personally have dropped my grade on Jackson because of his inability to play press and inability to shed blocks.  Alexander is a bit of a scary pick tho and could be a complete bust if his medicals don't clear.  However i don't have that information so I had to mock based on tendency and fit.

Reply/Quote
It would not surprise me if the Bengals pick Ward or this guy at 21. It is what they do and since there are questions regarding Kirkpatrick's play and Dennard's health they my pick cornerback to the dismay of many fans.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Alexander pick definately wouldn't surprise me, i would just hope one of the top 3 Centers are there at 46
and would really be stressing. Getting Daniels at 46 i would definately be fine with though, he is still really young
and could get in the weight room and become that stud we have always desperately needed since Braham.

Haven't even heard if we went to Daniels Pro Day or even brought him in. I think Ragnow or Price fit what we
want more at Center and if both are gone Daniels would have to be the pick.

I like Settle alright, BJ Hill better and still have high hopes for Billings and Glasgow. Need an End more IMHO.

Love the Cappa pick and the late rounders. Mock wasn't all filled out but i understand, 7th rounders are hard to
pick all the time. Never know who might fall or who the team likes late.

Overall would be happy with this. Good job Okeana.
Reply/Quote
While we may question Kirkpatrick's play, the front office isn't going to do anything with him and his huge contract. They just don't let guys go.

You have Dennard, Kirkpatick and Jackson as your starters. I don't see any way that changes or any way they burn #21 on a CB with so many other needs.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:09 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: While we may question Kirkpatrick's play, the front office isn't going to do anything with him and his huge contract.  They just don't let guys go.

You have Dennard, Kirkpatick and Jackson as your starters.  I don't see any way that changes or any way they burn #21 on a CB with so many other needs.

The reason why I think it could be CB at 21:
1-Dennard and Jackson have injury history
2-Jones will likely not be back
3-Bengals Prefer premium skilled position in round like like CB, WR, OT
4-if the BPA is there at 21 and it is CB, then they tend to go BPA over need.
5-Finally, and most important, they will do something like this to ruin my draft experience...
Hilarious
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I had a nightmare a few days ago that we drafted Jaire Alexander in the first round.

I had a similar nightmare about Keith Rivers in 2008, Andre Smith in 2009 and Dre Kirkpatrick in 2012.

I am not under the delusion that these are prophetic dreams or anything. I just know what I don't want to happen and the Bengals, more often than I'd like, do exactly what I don't want them to do.

For that reason, I think Alexander has a pretty good shot at being our first round pick. Even though that's awful.
Reply/Quote
While I would be a little disappointed that we don't find a Day One starter at #21 with Kirk, Jackson, and Dennard locked in as the top 3 CB's I would completely understand the Alexander pick. He could end up BPA if Wynn, McGlinchey, and Hernandez are off the board. I would still go Center at that point and think Daniels is worthy of #21 and will be long gone before you have him going to us later. However, Alexander plays with William Jackson confidence and has the skillset to be a much better player than Kirkpatrick and Dennard could be out of our price range with another solid season. Cornerback could be a need real quick after this season. Solid all around draft and I really like what Hill or Settle could do for this team but don't think we need both guys.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote