Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religio
https://legiscan.com/OK/text/SB1470/id/2484266

Oklahoma SB 1470 (to be introduced next week) would prohibit K-12 teachers from "promoting" any position "that is in opposition to closely held religious beliefs of students."

Violators are on the hook for a minimum of $10k.

What do you guys think ?

This is going to be a tough job for teachers considering the number of different religions.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
The party of small government, ladies and gentlemen.
Reply/Quote
"Promote" is a pretty broad word being used, which I can see causing issue for support even among those who believe this is a problem. $10k fine only if they fail to stop after an initial court order provides some protection, though the latter note that anyone who receives assistance in paying for the fine is fired and banned from teaching for 5 years is ridiculous.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Increase the wealth gap and then give citizens monetary incentives to rat each other out. How gleefully grim.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 06:26 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: https://legiscan.com/OK/text/SB1470/id/2484266

Oklahoma SB 1470 (to be introduced next week) would prohibit K-12 teachers from "promoting" any position "that is in opposition to closely held religious beliefs of students."

What do you guys think ?

This is going to be a tough job for teachers considering the number of different religions.

So we're back to trying to ban the teaching of evolution.  Nice.

Definitely see the gop taking the US in the right direction when they have control.  

Definitely. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 06:26 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: https://legiscan.com/OK/text/SB1470/id/2484266

What do you guys think ?

like in public schools that are suppose to be separate from church?

i think its gonna be as hard to get teachers there as health care workers
Reply/Quote
Whenever news like this comes out, I think "would it be so bad if we just let Texas and Oklahoma secede and create their own little ethno-theocracy? It would, at the very least, decrease the ability to influence the rest of the country with their silliness.
Reply/Quote
The irony here is they are literally trying to codify the “war on Christmas”. I can’t wait for all the lawsuits against teachers for hanging Christmas decorations and then the all too predictable “wait that’s not what we meant” reaction.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2022, 12:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: The irony here is they are literally trying to codify the “war on Christmas”. I can’t  wait for all the lawsuits against teachers for hanging Christmas decorations and then the all too predictable “wait that’s not what we meant” reaction.

Going to have to stop saying the Pledge too.

Under which god?  Might make someone uncomfortable.
Reply/Quote
I probably would have paid attention in school if every time a teacher said something that wasn't in the Bible led to a $10k payout.

I'd have also read up on all the other religions so I could sue based on those. Say one nation under my various gods and goddesses, or pay up.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 08:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I probably would have paid attention in school if every time a teacher said something that wasn't in the Bible led to a $10k payout.

I'd have also read up on all the other religions so I could sue based on those.  Say one nation under my various gods and goddesses, or pay up.

Or if they said something that WAS in the bible.  Lots of violence against other/non-believers, incest, etc.
Reply/Quote
Definitely would cut down their curriculum by at least 90%.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote