Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old People Yelling At Clouds
Writing at the high school garden tonight while Cascade softball hosts a game. The team they are playing is one of those that sings in the dugout when they are at bat. First time I've heard that in some time.

It's cute at first but soon it becomes so annoying.

Going to go yell at some clouds now.
Reply/Quote
[Image: wslr8.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2020, 09:48 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: [Image: wslr8.jpg]

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
High schools are playing softball in Iowa?
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2020, 09:48 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: [Image: wslr8.jpg]

[Image: ay_117231879.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo...C644&ssl=1]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 10:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: High schools are playing softball in Iowa?

Yes sir. I believe Iowa is the only state playing high school baseball and softball in the summer.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
The season usually starts the week after Memorial Day. Everything is basically crammed into June during a normal season. Most Iowa high schools don't have the enrollment numbers to have traditional spring sports along with baseball and softball.

Nice to meet you, BengalHawk.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 01:45 PM)iowawriter Wrote: The season usually starts the week after Memorial Day. Everything is basically crammed into June during a normal season. Most Iowa high schools don't have the enrollment numbers to have traditional spring sports along with baseball and softball.

Nice to meet you, BengalHawk.

Are they playing on the "Field of Dreams?"  Cool

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 03:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Are they playing on the "Field of Dreams?"  Cool

The White Sox and Cubs are this year I believe. It was supposed to be the Sox and Yankees, but then the Corona screwed that up.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I've lived in the general area of FOD my entire life. The site's history would make for an interesting book/doc/podcast. From the fighting between the families who originally owned it to the battle between the new owners and the Dyersville community.

I don't think there is anything scandalous, but lots of things which would make shake your head.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 03:41 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The White Sox and Cubs are this year I believe.  It was supposed to be the Sox and Yankees, but then the Corona screwed that up.

Is this Heaven?

No, It's Iowa!  Cool

Reply/Quote
There's not much of the abbreviated Iowa high school baseball and softball season left to play, but Cedar Falls has suspended its seasons.

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/high-school/baseball/positive-covid-19-tests-force-cedar-falls-to-suspend-baseball-softball-seasons/article_b5a25562-97b9-597e-9e47-6b526beec1de.html#tracking-source=home-breaking
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 03:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Are they playing on the "Field of Dreams?"  Cool

A side note to that, there is a place in the misses home town called Big League Dreams (there are actually several around CA) that has little league fields that are replicas of Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc...
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 09:37 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A side note to that, there is a place in the misses home town called Big League Dreams (there are actually several around CA) that has little league fields that are replicas of Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc...

NICE! 

Reply/Quote
During last night's softball game, I finally noticed there wasn't anyone taking admission. There was a pail on a chair near the main bleacher section.

I talked to a baseball mom this morning and she said none of the schools are charging admission for these abbreviated seasons. Everyone is basically going the donation route.

Thought that was interesting.
Reply/Quote
I was going over some 2013 email newsletters I sent high school coaches, parents and writers I worked with when I came across one of my favorite stories from my early years. Hope it gives you a smile.

Nowadays, the rules meetings for all IHSAA and IGHSAU sports are held online. It’s a good system as coaches and officials can “attend” their required meeting on their own time as long as they meet the deadline before the season. But a sentimental part of me misses the old football rules meetings where IHSAA people would travel around the state for one-night seminars with coaches and officials.

In 2001, I was still freelancing and went to a meeting held at The Forum in Dubuque. I had gone the year before and enjoyed mingling with everybody. The meeting was well organized and informative. It was worth the time to go to. I, being shy, sat in the back of the packed room. Near me was Pat Murphy who was the Dubuque Senior football coach at the time. A ways into the meeting, the IHSAA representative mentioned we were going to skip some things as we didn’t have any eight-man football schools in this part of the state. Suddenly, those of us in the back heard Murphy talk. “We played eight-man football last year. We had eleven guys out there, but only eight of them were playing.”
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 10:33 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: ay_117231879.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo...C644&ssl=1]

Gotta love it when God gives you the finger lol

Wink
Reply/Quote
Cascade High School had their graduation last month. Here it is. Will be something to look at this years from now.

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 09:37 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A side note to that, there is a place in the misses home town called Big League Dreams (there are actually several around CA) that has little league fields that are replicas of Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc...

I played at a Little League Fenway replica in Fairbanks in the early 80s. We called it Mini-Monster.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Had a wonderful chat with a teacher/coach friend today. I mentioned how I felt bad about the Class of 2020 losing the final few months of their senior year. She agreed, but felt the group to feel really sorry for is the Class of 2021.

'20 was at least able to enjoy a normal school year until March. Homecoming, sports, etc. '21 doesn't know what the future will hold other than it wouldn't take much for everything to go wrong. They don't know if they'll have sports or other activities, they don't know much "normal" learning they'll have, they don't know what their commencement will be like.

I certainly see her point.
Reply/Quote