Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Timers and Camp News
Any other 50ish folks out there?

For the last 30 years I’ve consumed Bengals camp news completely differently than I do now. Before, it was looking for diamonds in the rough, the 7th round steal that was going to get opening day snaps. Good Lord, we have been through hell.

Now I just squint and hope nobody got hurt when I open forums or Twitter.
Reply/Quote
*taps cane on floor in agreement*

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Props to Duke and ZT and everyone in that FO I'm 34 and this is easily the best roster we have had in my lifetime top to bottom. Even in Marvin's best years in 2006 and 2015 they couldn't touch this team (no disrespect to those teams intended). If we hit on these young defensive draft picks we are straight up stacked.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 04:14 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Props to Duke and ZT and everyone in that FO I'm 34 and this is easily the best roster we have had in my lifetime top to bottom.  Even in Marvin's best years in 2006 and 2015 they couldn't touch this team (no disrespect to those teams intended).   If we hit on these young defensive draft picks we are straight up stacked.

boomXer here..yes I used to look forward to reading about all our new rookies and surprise roster additions and now all I do is worry about the  big injury that seems to come every season now. This week a has been as expected.  
Reply/Quote
When I DON'T hear any injury news, I think it's a good day.

Hearing that so and so looks great in camp so far is nice, but, I don't put much stock in how great they will be during regular season. Have seen many players look awesome and then don't contribute.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 05:40 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Any other 50ish folks out there?  

For the last 30 years I’ve consumed Bengals camp news completely differently than I do now.  Before, it was looking for diamonds in the rough, the 7th round steal that was going to get opening day snaps.  Good Lord, we have been through hell.

Now I just squint and hope nobody got hurt when I open forums or Twitter.

Well I am 40 so in the realm. Back in the day if I heard of my Bengals, it was rare as they always sucked until 2005 when Chad Johnson 
and Carson Palmer were making some noise. Now I get all the news which is awesome because we are the real deal for once in it feels 
like an eternity. This team is built to win it all this year. We need to go and do it.

I stay off of twitter as much as possible. Too many stealer trolls, knee jerk reactions and fake news going on around there. For example
when Burrow got the calf strain, there were lots of posts on twitter saying it was an ACL tear or worse. That place is made for trolls to 
attack each other and bring down the IQ of everyone else around them....

Well, except for Kay Adams who I follow who is a beautiful lady who loves our Bengals. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 04:14 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Props to Duke and ZT and everyone in that FO I'm 34 and this is easily the best roster we have had in my lifetime top to bottom.  Even in Marvin's best years in 2006 and 2015 they couldn't touch this team (no disrespect to those teams intended).   If we hit on these young defensive draft picks we are straight up stacked.

No doubt BTG. Looking like DJ Turner specifically was a steal so far.

Dude is draped on our stacked Receiver core from everything i am hearing.

Myles Murphy is so strong and Battle is smart and instinctual. Love our Defense going into this year and our ST's should be way better
with all the additions. It is a 3 phase game and our ST's were pretty bad last year and the FO and Simmons made sure to right this ship
in the Offseason.
Reply/Quote
I'm a 54 y/o GenXer who hasn't been this excited about my team since back in my childhood and adolescent days. Remained a die hard fan throughout the dark ages, the Marvin Lewis era, and it seems to have paid off as the Katie Blackburn family and Zac Taylor era has already restored my faith in the notion that "my" team will win a Superbowl title in my lifetime.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I believe the 2015 roster was slightly better top to bottom than the current one.  The thing which makes that even debatable to me is the QB position.  While Andy got a lot of unmerited hate, it's obvious that position has improved.  
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 04:29 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I believe the 2015 roster was slightly better top to bottom than the current one.  The thing which makes that even debatable to me is the QB position.  While Andy got a lot of unmerited hate, it's obvious that position has improved.  

Disagree, think this Offense and Defense can be elite. We had AJ Green and Eifert at the time for Andy and Gio and Jeremeh had his good 
rookie year, but Ja'Marr, Tee, Boyd, Irv Smith, Mixon/Chase Brown, Chuck Sizzle on Offense with Burrow at the helm? We can stop the run 
better on this Defense with DJ Reader and we have an elite pass rusher in Trey Hendrickson and better overall Linebacker play in Pratt and 
Logan Wilson and our Secondary under Lou with this speed could be the best in the league with all this talent.

We could be top 5 on Offense and Defense this year and it wouldn't surprise me. Don't remember our rankings on Offense and Defense 
that year, but I don't think that team was this good. On ST's, they were definitely better and that is where we need to make the biggest 
jump this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Disagree, think this Offense and Defense can be elite. We had AJ Green and Eifert at the time for Andy and Gio and Jeremeh had his good 
rookie year, but Ja'Marr, Tee, Boyd, Irv Smith, Mixon/Chase Brown, Chuck Sizzle on Offense with Burrow at the helm? We can stop the run 
better on this Defense with DJ Reader and we have an elite pass rusher in Trey Hendrickson and better overall Linebacker play in Pratt and 
Logan Wilson and our Secondary under Lou with this speed could be the best in the league with all this talent.

We could be top 5 on Offense and Defense this year and it wouldn't surprise me. Don't remember our rankings on Offense and Defense 
that year, but I don't think that team was this good. On ST's, they were definitely better and that is where we need to make the biggest 
jump this year.

It's certainly debatable, but I feel the QB position greatly accounts for that.  Remember that 2015 team went 12-4 with Dalton and McCarron at QB.  Certainly that was Andy's best season, but I couldn't see the current one doing that- even with Andy in his prime.  The current roster is certainly more disciplined than the other.

While the WR group is stronger currently (though Green-Jones-Sanu was plenty strong), the TE position made the 2015 receiving group stronger overall I'd argue.  Can you imagine what a healthy Tyler Eifert could do for the current offense?

The OL unit was stronger overall then despite the center position issues.

The DL is a wash I'd say.  There's no one on the current roster as disruptive as Atkins was, but the current DE group probably gets a slight edge.

The LB group currently gets the edge, but there's no Vontaze Burfict impact-wise.  That's both bad and good.

The DB group currently isn't as strong, at least on paper.  Hoping another Reggie Nelson can emerge in the near future.  Pac Man was a head case, but a good CB.

K and QB are the two clearly stronger groups on the current roster.

Edit:  Upon reflection I'd say the overall receiving group (TE included) would be more a wash than advantage 2015.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 05:22 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: It's certainly debatable, but I feel the QB position greatly accounts for that.  Remember that 2015 team went 12-4 with Dalton and McCarron at QB.  Certainly that was Andy's best season, but I couldn't see the current one doing that- even with Andy in his prime.  The current roster is certainly more disciplined than the other.

While the WR group is stronger currently (though Green-Jones-Sanu was plenty strong), the TE position made the 2015 receiving group stronger overall I'd argue.  Can you imagine what a healthy Tyler Eifert could do for the current offense?

The DL is a wash I'd say.  There's no one on the current roster as disruptive as Atkins was, but the current DE group probably gets a slight edge.

The LB group currently gets the edge, but there's no Vontaze Burfict impact-wise.  That's both bad and good.

The DB group currently isn't as strong, at least on paper.  Hoping another Reggie Nelson can emerge in the near future.  Pac Man was a head case, but a good CB.

Good points. We definitely need a 3-tech to step up and disrupt a bit, we sure don't have a Geno Atkins on this team that we know of.

Hoping Zach Carter or Maxwell the UDFA can become somewhat like Geno, tough ask I know. Eifert that year was amazing, too bad he 
was made of glass afterwards. Crazy talented TE that we haven't had close to yet. I like what Irv Smith can do when he gets his hands on
the ball though and there is a reason he was a 2nd round pick. He is tough to tackle, just needs to stay healthy and he could have the best
year of his career here.

Dax Hill has the talent to become a Reggie Nelson type of player and I also really like Jordan Battle for the future.

Burrow definitely tips it to this roster though, McPherson had a rough year after his rookie season where he was all world. 
Reply/Quote
Not me! I ain't no old geezer..Excuse me while I go pop pimples in the bathroom mirror.. Hilarious
I kind of forget what pimples are like.. I've got wrinkles down pretty good..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I opened Twitter on Friday excited to see whatever plays were made by the youngins and “carted off” was trending and i saw Burrow as a sub trend and i immediately got physically sick. Then i saw the video and dropped the hardest f bomb I’ve ever dropped. I began seeing calf thrown around later that day and was finally able to chill.

That shit was a roller coaster lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm a 54 y/o GenXer who hasn't been this excited about my team since back in my childhood and adolescent days.  Remained a die hard fan throughout the dark ages, the Marvin Lewis era, and it seems to have paid off as the Katie Blackburn family and Zac Taylor era has already restored my faith in the notion that "my" team will win a Superbowl title in my lifetime.

47 yo Xer.....my experience is pretty much the same. We've waited a long damn time to be this relevant.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 05:22 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: It's certainly debatable, but I feel the QB position greatly accounts for that.  Remember that 2015 team went 12-4 with Dalton and McCarron at QB.  Certainly that was Andy's best season, but I couldn't see the current one doing that- even with Andy in his prime.  The current roster is certainly more disciplined than the other.

Edit:  Upon reflection I'd say the overall receiving group (TE included) would be more a wash than advantage 2015.

I gotta go with Higgins, Chase, and Boyd over anyone they trotted out on that team. AJ Green was a WR1...Jones was pretty good, Sanu didn't really do anything outside of Cincinnati. He was solid. 

The three we have now are all bonafide 1000 yd season kind of WRs. No contest. At worst Green equals Chase. Tee is better than Marvin Jones, and Boyd is a lot better than Sanu.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 04:29 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I believe the 2015 roster was slightly better top to bottom than the current one.  The thing which makes that even debatable to me is the QB position.  While Andy got a lot of unmerited hate, it's obvious that position has improved.  

I think this team would beat 2015 handily.  This team was young the last 2 seasons and made it to the SB and AFCCG.  That 2015 team was good but this team is at least as good in all aspects and much better at QB and Burrow is bonafide elite where Dalton was at best fringe top 10 even in his best year. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I'm 64 and been watching since the first game. I think this is the most complete team I've seen Cincy put together. Upgrading Allen with Semian seals that deal.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 02:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: I gotta go with Higgins, Chase, and Boyd over anyone they trotted out on that team. AJ Green was a WR1...Jones was pretty good, Sanu didn't really do anything outside of Cincinnati. He was solid. 

The three we have now are all bonafide 1000 yd season kind of WRs. No contest. At worst Green equals Chase. Tee is better than Marvin Jones, and Boyd is a lot better than Sanu.

(07-30-2023, 02:37 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I think this team would beat 2015 handily.  This team was young the last 2 seasons and made it to the SB and AFCCG.  That 2015 team was good but this team is at least as good in all aspects and much better at QB and Burrow is bonafide elite where Dalton was at best fringe top 10 even in his best year. 

(07-30-2023, 10:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm 64 and been watching since the first game. I think this is the most complete team I've seen Cincy put together. Upgrading Allen with Semian seals that deal.

What these guys said.... Smirk
Reply/Quote

I think 2023 D is much better
Reply/Quote