Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oline Coach firing thread...
Too soon?

No more college coaches unless it's Wisconsin's.

If there's a shot at a new Oline Coach it's going to come from a fired staff. Who had preferably a good Oline.

So far the openings are the Houston, Falcon. Potential openings Jets, Jags, Bears, Lions.

Keep an eye on those lines as the season progresses. Come the offseason, maybe we'd have spotted a good one in the rubbish.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Turner is teaching faulty technique and his blocking schemes don't fit the personnel. Time to can him and if ZT objects can him too.
Reply/Quote
Damn.. I saw the title and was kinda excited thinking Turner was gone....

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, geez. Way to get my hopes up.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Damn.. I saw the title and was kinda excited thinking Turner was gone....

Same.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Too soon?

That’s an excellent point as usual. Wisconsin always has an outstanding offensive line but I would interview the offensive line coaches from Alabama, Clemson, and LSU if one of them was interested.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Damn.. I saw the title and was kinda excited thinking Turner was gone....

Same here.Hoping.Because firing Turner would be a good place to start in fixing this O-line.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 09:04 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s an excellent point as usual.  Wisconsin always has an outstanding offensive line but I would interview the offensive line coaches from Alabama, Clemson, and LSU if one of them was interested.

One might think having Burrow here could entice this guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 09:18 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Same here.Hoping.Because firing Turner would be a good place to start in fixing this O-line.

I think it’s the only place to start. He’s going to get Joe Burrow flattened.
Reply/Quote
Last year our O-line was the ONLY position group that showed any real improvement over the course of the season. So even though I did not like Turner when we first hired him I was willing to give him credit as the only coach on the staff that actually produced any improvement.

Now the O-line looks like garbage again. They are getting beaten more by blitzes and stunts than just getting overpowered. And Willie Anderson straight up called out their poor technique in a twitter post early in the season. Turner was also given the best O-lineman from the 2019 draft to help his line, but it has not made any difference.

I am not a big fan of firing coaches mid-season. Especially when they have not even competed two full seasons. So I would say "No" at this time. But unless we show DRAMAIC improvement over the rest of the season he needs to be fired along with most of the other coaches.
Reply/Quote
This is one misleading bait click title.

Very disappointed to waste my time in this thread. OP gets a thumbs down from me.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Didn't mean to mislead. If Turner had been fired, we'd all know, and that would be the title. We also know that isn't happening mid season so why even think it.

I was trying to focus on the Oline Coaches that will be available this offseason because of the HC firings (or soon to be firings).

Hopefully some understood. But it's legit to watch as if we do have an opening, the replacement will likely come from a fired coaching staff.

So who so far has good lines?

Jags/Falcons?

Our old friend with the Jets? Although their line sucks.... I know the FO was high on Pollack, even tho Zac wasn't.

It's not a waste of time to look at the olines of the teams who have fired their HC (or may fire their HC) to see if their Oline is any good and their Coach a possible candidate to replace Turner if fired.

If you are going to present options this offseason, hopefully you've been doing you homework (I will be).

Reply/Quote
Houston's line has struggled over the years as much as ours have so I wouldn't take their Oline coach.

Reply/Quote
Count me in. He needs fired
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Too soon?

If there's a shot at a new Oline Coach it's going to come from a fired staff. Who had preferably a good Oline.

So far the openings are the Houston, Falcon. Potential openings Jets, Jags, Bears, Lions.

Keep an eye on those lines as the season progresses. Come the offseason, maybe we'd have spotted a good one in the rubbish.

I would give Ed Warinner a chance.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is one misleading bait click title.

Very disappointed to waste my time in this thread. OP gets a thumbs down from me.

Not to mention the time you wasted typing a response.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
We should've kept Pollack. Anyone with half a brain could tell that Pollack made a group of scrubs look respectable. We finished 8th in rush yards per attempt...our best ranking since 2000. Dalton was sacked only 21 times in 365 attempts, which is solid. Taylor should've been begging that dude to stay.

Not sure who is available now, but there has to be someone better than Turner. What an awful hire that was, no hindsight needed.
Terrible resume turned out to be a terrible hire. How surprising.

Btw, clickbait title. You're better than that, jj22
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Surprised nobody has started a petition on this? Isn't that the new thing now days?

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year our O-line was the ONLY position group that showed any real improvement over the course of the season.  So even though I did not like Turner when we first hired him I was willing to give him credit as the only coach on the staff that actually produced any improvement.

Now the O-line looks like garbage again.  They are getting beaten more by blitzes and stunts than just getting overpowered.  And Willie Anderson straight up called out their poor technique in a twitter post early in the season.  Turner was also given the best O-lineman from the 2019 draft to help his line, but it has not made any difference.

I am not a big fan of firing coaches mid-season.  Especially when they have not even competed two full seasons.  So I would say "No" at this time.  But unless we show DRAMATIC improvement over the rest of the season he needs to be fired along with most of the other coaches.

You're spot on, Fred, and my only small objection to your excellent post is the last bolded sentence -- and my objection is based on Joe Burrow.  He's not just a sitting duck behind this historically bad offensive line but he's a duck sitting in a rocking chair, blindfolded, and smack in the middle of duck season.

Honestly, I'm getting flashbacks to David Klingler and Akili Smith where Mike Brown signed who he thought was the "bell cow" quarterback and didn't protect him.  Joe Burrow still has rookie tendencies but he has so much upside there is a potential for future GOAT status if he could get more time and room to throw.  Like it or not, Andy Dalton's quick release covered up many offensive line pass blocking sins and if Joe simply works on releasing passes faster then all the Bengals have done is created a more expensive Andy Dalton 2.0.  That's not why Burrow was drafted; he was drafted for his maturity, his mobility, and his ablity to stand in the pocket, go through progressions, set his feet, and make an accurate throw. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 12:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We should've kept Pollack. Anyone with half a brain could tell that Pollack made a group of scrubs look respectable. We finished 8th in rush yards per attempt...our best ranking since 2000. Dalton was sacked only 21 times in 365 attempts, which is solid. Taylor should've been begging that dude to stay.

Not sure who is available now, but there has to be someone better than Turner. What an awful hire that was, no hindsight needed.
Terrible resume turned out to be a terrible hire. How surprising.

Btw, clickbait title. You're better than that, jj22

From what I remember, Pollack wanted to leave...?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote