Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters/backups who ya got ?
We don't have a bunch of stuff to talk about this time of year and who knows when we will ? things being as they are. But anyways kind of going of my thread Williams RT Johnson LT, who do you think are the starters/backups, how many do we keep ? Yes we don't really have a lot to go on but anyways, fwiw, here's my take:

Locks:

Jonah Williams
Michael Jordan
Trey Hopkins
Bobby Hart - I think they like Hart and I'd say he makes team even if he's a backup

And here's where it starts getting a little dicey

Billy Price - I'd guess he makes team however it wouldn't shock me if he's cut ?
Xavier Su'a-Filo I'd say he makes team and starts at RG
Fred Johnson - again I'd say he makes team at least as a backup

And then the 4 guys fighting for the remaining 2 spots. I'd say they keep 9 Olineman + a P.S. or two ?

Alex Redmond G
Oshea Dugas T
Isaiah Prince T
Hakeem Adeniji G

So I'd say:

LT J. Williams
LG M. Jordan
C T. Hopkins
RG XSF
RT B. Hart

Backups:

F. Johnson - I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he might push Hart hard for his job ?
H. Adeniji - I believe they had this guy targeted and he's versatile
B. Price - Will they cut bait ?
I. Prince - just a guess

That leaves A. Redmond and O. Dugas getting cut/PS. I wouldn't rule out the Bengals picking up a camp cut.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hakeem Adeniji was one of Jim Turner's favorite draft prospects. You can see why Turner likes him on tape he is athletic, wide body, and aggressive. Adeniji had a really impressive Senior Bowl at Guard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
LT - Williams
LG - Jordan
C - Hopkins
RG - XSF
RT - Johnson

Backups:
OT - Hart
OT/OG swing - Adeniji and Dugas
OG/C - Price

I really liked what Dugas was able to do last preseason coming from a small school OG and playing/learning LT in NFL. I think he would have made the 53 at some point last season if it wasn’t for the knee injury.

I’ll give Price a mulligan on last season due to his back injury. No offensive lineman is going to look good playing with one of those and we don’t have anybody else on the roster that can play center if Hopkins goes down.
Reply/Quote
Pretty simple (for me at least):

Locks: Jonah, Fred Johnson, Jordan, Hopkins, Sua-Filo, Hart - I think we see any combination of those guys as starters.

The rest are truly up for grabs. I'm not overly impressed with any of the guys as backups and I think we are in major trouble if one of them not named above has to start longer term.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Hakeem Adeniji was one of Jim Turner's favorite draft prospects. You can see why Turner likes him on tape he is athletic, wide body, and aggressive.  Adeniji had a really impressive Senior Bowl at Guard.

Given the level of competition he will be facing I am pretty sure he will make the roster even if he is a year away from really playing much.

These guys also make the roster

Williams 
Hopkins
Jordan
Hart
Price
Johnson
Su'a-Filo

After that it could be anyone.  I would not be surprised if an O-lineman cut from another team makes our roster over someone we have right now.

As for starters I say it is Williams, Hopkins, and Hart with everyone else fighting over the two guard positions.  I think Su'a-Filo will most likely win one of those spots, but I'd like to see one of the younger guys improve enough to move over him.  Hart can play guard if they think Johnson is a better fit at RT.

I like Jordan's potential, but I want to see him earn a starting spot instead playing poorly but starting based on potential.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We don't have a bunch of stuff to talk about this time of year and who knows when we will ? things being as they are. But anyways kind of going of my thread Williams RT Johnson LT, who do you think are the starters/backups, how many do we keep ? Yes we don't really have a lot to go on but anyways, fwiw, here's my take:

Locks:

Jonah Williams
Michael Jordan
Trey Hopkins
Bobby Hart - I think they like Hart and I'd say he makes team even if he's a backup

Billy Price - I'd guess he makes team however it wouldn't shock me if he's cut ?

And then the 4 guys fighting for the remaining 2 spots. I'd say they keep 9 Olineman + a P.S. or two ?

Alex Redmond G
Oshea Dugas T
Isaiah Prince T
Hakeem Adeniji G

So I'd say:

LT J. Williams
LG M. Jordan
C T. Hopkins
RG XSF
RT B. Hart

Backups:

F. Johnson - I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he might push Hart hard for his job ?
I. Prince - just a guess

That leaves A. Redmond and O. Dugas getting cut/PS. I wouldn't rule out the Bengals picking up a camp cut.
I pretty much agree with what you have. I'm actually expecting a much improved Billy Price this year also.
Reply/Quote
Or we have the surprise special...

LT Williams
LG XSF
C Hopkins
RG Price
RT Johnson

Obviously this is unlikely but it would assume Johnson sees his chance and beats out Hart, XSF is installed at LG where he has experience and finally Price comes in healthy and motivated and wins the RG job - in the video posted in another thread you could see Price at RG and he wasn't bad - at LG he had issues.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or we have the surprise special...

LT Williams
LG XSF
C Hopkins
RG Price
RT Johnson

Obviously this is unlikely but it would assume Johnson sees his chance and beats out Hart, XSF is installed at LG where he has experience and finally Price comes in healthy and motivated and wins the RG job - in the video posted in another thread you could see Price at RG and he wasn't bad - at LG he had issues.

That would be a surprise.  I think Jordan would really have to suck it up to lose the job at LG.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We don't have a bunch of stuff to talk about this time of year and who knows when we will ? things being as they are. But anyways kind of going of my thread Williams RT Johnson LT, who do you think are the starters/backups, how many do we keep ? Yes we don't really have a lot to go on but anyways, fwiw, here's my take:

Locks:

Jonah Williams
Michael Jordan
Trey Hopkins

Alex Redmond G
Oshea Dugas T
Isaiah Prince T
Hakeem Adeniji G

So I'd say:

LT J. Williams
LG M. Jordan
C T. Hopkins
RG XSF
RT B. Hart

Backups:

I. Prince - just a guess

I won't bother to type mine since we seem to be sharing the same brain on this one.  I will only add that the RG position is wide open and if XSF shows up out of shape (something he is known for...not really fair to get on the guy as most of the fat he put on was on a mission trip for LDS in college) then Adeniji or Redmond could take his spot.  

I think Redmond might stay as his skill set might work better in the scheme they adopted mid-year.  He's still pretty young.  I am really down on Price and think they could release him because even his fourth year contract is significant given his draft position.  I would love it if Price proved me wrong, showed up healthy, and just flat out owned the position, but I fear he simply doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starter.  That was the third huge whiff on the offensive line in recent years.  Let's hope Williams and Adeniji break that trend.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or we have the surprise special...

LT Williams
LG XSF
C Hopkins
RG Price
RT Johnson

I just looked up Price's deal and he is signed THROUGH 2021.  I was a year premature on his expiration.  My guess is they will keep him as a backup center and competition at RG.  

RG is the biggest question mark on the line and seemingly has a crap ton of competition already:

XSF
Price
Redmond

and potentially the guys that don't win at RT:   Johnson and Adeniji
Reply/Quote
I still have hope for Price, but he has not shown me much to support it.

When we drafted him I thought he may never become a top center, but I thought his "floor" would be higher than he has shown so far.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 02:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I won't bother to type mine since we seem to be sharing the same brain on this one.  I will only add that the RG position is wide open and if XSF shows up out of shape (something he is known for...not really fair to get on the guy as most of the fat he put on was on a mission trip for LDS in college) then Adeniji or Redmond could take his spot.  

I think Redmond might stay as his skill set might work better in the scheme they adopted mid-year.  He's still pretty young.  I am really down on Price and think they could release him because even his fourth year contract is significant given his draft position.  I would love it if Price proved me wrong, showed up healthy, and just flat out owned the position, but I fear he simply doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starter.  That was the third huge whiff on the offensive line in recent years.  Let's hope Williams and Adeniji break that trend.  

Price has a higher dead cap than he does a cap hit this year.
Dead cap = $4.8 mill

It would be detrimental to the Bengals if Price is released or traded, as they'd be paying for him whether he's on the roster or not.
Because of that, I think he stays on the roster and backs up all the IOL positions.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Hakeem Adeniji was one of Jim Turner's favorite draft prospects. You can see why Turner likes him on tape he is athletic, wide body, and aggressive.  Adeniji had a really impressive Senior Bowl at Guard.

Yep, I'd say there's a really good chance Adeniji makes the team. I watched Matt M's tape of him on youtube and you can see he's got some game.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Given the level of competition he will be facing I am pretty sure he will make the roster even if he is a year away from really playing much.

These guys also make the roster

Williams 
Hopkins
Jordan
Hart
Price
Johnson
Su'a-Filo

After that it could be anyone.  I would not be surprised if an O-lineman cut from another team makes our roster over someone we have right now.

As for starters I say it is Williams, Hopkins, and Hart with everyone else fighting over the two guard positions.  I think Su'a-Filo will most likely win one of those spots, but I'd like to see one of the younger guys improve enough to move over him.  Hart can play guard if they think Johnson is a better fit at RT.

I like Jordan's potential, but I want to see him earn a starting spot instead playing poorly but starting based on potential.

This wouldn't shock me either.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price has a higher dead cap than he does a cap hit this year.
Dead cap = $4.8 mill

It would be detrimental to the Bengals if Price is released or traded, as they'd be paying for him whether he's on the roster or not.
Because of that, I think he stays on the roster and backs up all the IOL positions.

I forgot about that, I'd say Price is staying. Here's to hoping he can pick up his game  Cheers because thus far he hasn't shown much. 
Reply/Quote
My prediction for the five starters differ from what I’ve read so far:

LT Jonah Williams
LG Xavier Su’a-Filo
C Trey Hopkins
RG Hakeem Adeniji
RT Isaiah Prince
Reply/Quote
NFL.com recently posted an article predicting the starters for the AFCN. Here is what they predict for the Bengals O-line starters:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113546/article/afc-north-projected-starters-ravens-loaded-browns-oline-key

LT: Jonah Williams
LG: Mike Jordan
C: Trey Hopkins
RG: Xavier Su'a-Filo
RT: Fred Johnson

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
This is my starting Lineup....

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - XSF
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - Adeniji
RT - Hart

I still need to see more of Fred Johnson before I see him taking Hart's spot.

Michael Jordan could definitely in the mix at RG. XSF has played LG more than RG so this is where I put him.

Think Adeniji could be a steal.
Reply/Quote
My depth chart is:

Jonah----------MJ----------------Hopkins----------------X-Man----------------Fred
Fred---------Adeniji---------------Price-------------------Price-----------------Hart
Dugas-------X-Man-----------------MJ----------------------MJ-----------------Adeniji

I think we go 9 on Oline; flip Adeniji and X-Man for LG, if so be it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price has a higher dead cap than he does a cap hit this year.
Dead cap = $4.8 mill

For sure the Bengals don't want to cut him given the dead money.  Trading him doesn't seem likely either, trade a 1st for a 7th?  Not a good look.  Price has huge motivations this season in his contract year.  Both sides are motivated to work well together this season.
Reply/Quote