Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters/backups who ya got ?
(05-12-2020, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I guess it depends on how many they keep on the 53. FWIW, there are not 2 extra roster spots. Gameday actives went to 48 from 46, (as long as one is an OL), but that should not impact the 53. 2 guys from the PS can now be part of the active roster for the week, but it cannot be the same 2 guys over and over. A player can be activated and sent back to PS twice without a waiver process, but the third time they do. Plus, PS guys can always get signed by another team.

Anywho, I think they keep 9 on the 53, plus 1-2 on the PS. 10 is not out of the question, though, depending on howmany QBS (2 or 3), LBs (5 or 6), WRs (6 or 7), TEs (3 or 4), CBs (5 or 6), DLs (8 or 10), & RBs (3 or 4) we keep on the 53.

Of the 9, I think 8 are pretty straighforward.

1. Jonah Williams. LT. Lock starter. We think he is a stud LT. Time to find out. If not, he could be a stud RT or G.

2. Trey Hopkins. C. Lock starter. Leader of the OL.

3. Michael Jordan. LG. Lock to make the team. Near lock starter. Only way he doesn't is if at camp he looks like the guy from the start of last season rather than the end.

4. Xavier Su'a-Filo. RG. Team lock,  likely starter. No way he does not make the team. We went and got him for a reason. If Price starts playing like a first rounder, he could start, though I do not think that likely. The loser of the RT competition could also move inside. Johnson was a G in college & Hart knows the offense. His IQ is the best part of his game.

5. Bobby Hart. RT. Team lock. Incumbent RT. Smart guy with limited ability.  Will battle for RT with Johnson, loser could barlttle for RG spot.

6. Fred Johnson. RT/G/LT. Team lock. Him or Hart will start at RT. Loser could challenge at RG also. Johnson played G in college, IIRC.

7. Billy Price. G/C. Near lock to make the team. Outside shot to start at RG. His contract makes it more expensive to cut or trade him than to keep. And he is the only other guy with NFL C experience. Awful & injured last year. Hopefully good health equals better play.

8. Adeniji. G/T. Near lock to make the team. Versatile guy. T at Kansas. G at Senior Bowl. Projected at G. Probably a year away from contributing but I think they like him too much to risk him getting poached off the PS.

That leaves 1 spot left. If we sign a vet OL guy (Warford, Peters, etc) then this spot is theirs. If not, we got 5 guys battling for the last spot (maybe 2) and 1-2 spots on the PS.

Right now, I'd favor Redmond (G) for #9 with Dugas (G) & Prince (OT) on the PS. Knipfel (OT) & Cordasco being SOL.

I think camp will determine the last spot. Redmond makes $2.1 mil and everyone else is south of $700k. We could save $1.4 by releasing him (no dead money). If any of the others are close to his level, I would cut him and save some cap $$ (either rollover or a FA). If we sign a FA OL, Redmond is gone unless we keep 10, no way a PS guy makes $2.1 mil.

Truly an excellent analysis. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I guess it depends on how many they keep on the 53. FWIW, there are not 2 extra roster spots. Gameday actives went to 48 from 46, (as long as one is an OL), but that should not impact the 53. 2 guys from the PS can now be part of the active roster for the week, but it cannot be the same 2 guys over and over. A player can be activated and sent back to PS twice without a waiver process, but the third time they do. Plus, PS guys can always get signed by another team.

Anywho, I think they keep 9 on the 53, plus 1-2 on the PS. 10 is not out of the question, though, depending on howmany QBS (2 or 3), LBs (5 or 6), WRs (6 or 7), TEs (3 or 4), CBs (5 or 6), DLs (8 or 10), & RBs (3 or 4) we keep on the 53.

Of the 9, I think 8 are pretty straighforward.

1. Jonah Williams. LT. Lock starter. We think he is a stud LT. Time to find out. If not, he could be a stud RT or G.

2. Trey Hopkins. C. Lock starter. Leader of the OL.

3. Michael Jordan. LG. Lock to make the team. Near lock starter. Only way he doesn't is if at camp he looks like the guy from the start of last season rather than the end.

4. Xavier Su'a-Filo. RG. Team lock,  likely starter. No way he does not make the team. We went and got him for a reason. If Price starts playing like a first rounder, he could start, though I do not think that likely. The loser of the RT competition could also move inside. Johnson was a G in college & Hart knows the offense. His IQ is the best part of his game.

5. Bobby Hart. RT. Team lock. Incumbent RT. Smart guy with limited ability.  Will battle for RT with Johnson, loser could barlttle for RG spot.

6. Fred Johnson. RT/G/LT. Team lock. Him or Hart will start at RT. Loser could challenge at RG also. Johnson played G in college, IIRC.

7. Billy Price. G/C. Near lock to make the team. Outside shot to start at RG. His contract makes it more expensive to cut or trade him than to keep. And he is the only other guy with NFL C experience. Awful & injured last year. Hopefully good health equals better play.

8. Adeniji. G/T. Near lock to make the team. Versatile guy. T at Kansas. G at Senior Bowl. Projected at G. Probably a year away from contributing but I think they like him too much to risk him getting poached off the PS.

That leaves 1 spot left. If we sign a vet OL guy (Warford, Peters, etc) then this spot is theirs. If not, we got 5 guys battling for the last spot (maybe 2) and 1-2 spots on the PS.

Right now, I'd favor Redmond (G) for #9 with Dugas (G) & Prince (OT) on the PS. Knipfel (OT) & Cordasco being SOL.

I think camp will determine the last spot. Redmond makes $2.1 mil and everyone else is south of $700k. We could save $1.4 by releasing him (no dead money). If any of the others are close to his level, I would cut him and save some cap $$ (either rollover or a FA). If we sign a FA OL, Redmond is gone unless we keep 10, no way a PS guy makes $2.1 mil.

Very nice post. Hope XSF can go to RG and be an upgrade over Miller, think he can be.

(05-14-2020, 10:31 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Is there any chance Price can figure it out and at least become average?  He was so solid at OSU.

There is always a chance. Pray

(05-14-2020, 11:16 PM)WhoDey Wrote: I hope Fred Johnson is good enough to start somewhere along the line.

Man, does anyone have any tape on this guy?

I still know nothing about him but he was on the Stealers, he is big and he played decent last year in a couple of games at LT.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 10:46 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: LT-Williams,LG-Jordan,C-Hopkins,RG—XSF,RT-Johnson.Cut Price.
I'd be good with this. If you're going to keep Hart, he has to re-do his contract. My opinion, he can't make starter $$$ as a backup...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This could be the first off season in a while going into the season we could have a league average line. Hart and Jordan are the worst talent wise with a prowbowl candidate in Hopkins. Xfilo seems better than average. Jonah was drafted as best lineman last year so he should be at least mediocre. With the stacked Talent at WR and Mixon being a top 10 RB. provided Burrow gets the NFL game quickly no reason this cant be a top 5 offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2020, 10:05 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: This could be the first off season in a while going into the season we could have a league average line. Hart and Jordan  are the worst talent wise with a prowbowl candidate in Hopkins. Xfilo seems better than average. Jonah was drafted as best lineman last year so he should be at least mediocre. With the stacked Talent at  WR and Mixon being a top 10 RB. provided Burrow gets the NFL game quickly no reason this cant be a top 5 offense.

"Could" be average. They could just as easily continue to stink. I do believe they will be better than last season, if for no other reason than they'll play the entire season with the right scheme.

Only average doesn't win in the playoffs.

I believe the weakest point on the team has become the coaching staff. They talk a lot, an awful lot, with lots of bravado, but in the end they are a 2 win staff. They're really going to have to improve themselves a great deal this year.

Reply/Quote
Trey Hopkins is a great and interesting person. He is at best in the lower middle of the pack for center performance. He is head and shoulders above his predecessors which tells you exactly how bad they were. But as a result we also can not over grade his performance vs his peers>

For improvement on the offense, we should be hoping the line improves enough not to be bad.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2020, 01:24 PM)pally Wrote: Trey Hopkins is a great and interesting person. He is at best in the lower middle of the pack for center performance.  He is head and shoulders above his predecessors which tells you exactly how bad they were.  But as a result we also can not over grade his performance vs his peers>

For improvement on the offense, we should be hoping the line improves enough not to be bad.

Trey Hopkins is difficult to read because he has been saddled with atrocious Guard play during his brief stint as starting Center. If we even ascend to average play at Guard things will be much improved. 
Reply/Quote
I expect improvements. Aside from Jonah being in the mix, I like the chances of Fred Johnson beating Hart out and upgrading that position as well. Would LOVE to see Michael Jordan make a big leaps. The rookie looks promising, but also Xfilo is looking like a solid upgrade for us at G. We have some better depth and a couple upgrades. Also Joe Burrow. His leadership could help a lot too.
Reply/Quote
I would go so far as to say Hopkins is one of our most underrated players. Watch his tape and you see a guy who is incredibly consistent, and makes some amazing blocks at times.

This may come as a shocker to some folks, but PFF is just as capable of anti-bengal bias as anybody else. It's not just his bad guards, it's how his grades will always turn out as a bengal offensive lineman, at least until we start winning games.
Reply/Quote
I really hope that the OL improves a ton. Hopefully Williams will be a Whitworth 2.0. I hope that we start focusing on fixing it more soon. I just don't want Burrows internal clock to get messed up the first couple years he's in the league
Reply/Quote
Bump

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2020, 03:12 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I would go so far as to say Hopkins is one of our most underrated players. Watch his tape and you see a guy who is incredibly consistent, and makes some amazing blocks at times.

This may come as a shocker to some folks, but PFF is just as capable of anti-bengal bias as anybody else. It's not just his bad guards, it's how his grades will always turn out as a bengal offensive lineman, at least until we start winning games.

There definitely have been times when a player like Hubbard in the opener had a fantastic game and the PFF rating was not 
near as high as it should. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there are some Steeler fans working for PFF.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2020, 01:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: "Could" be average. They could just as easily continue to stink. I do believe they will be better than last season, if for no other reason than they'll play the entire season with the right scheme.

Only average doesn't win in the playoffs.

I believe the weakest point on the team has become the coaching staff. They talk a lot, an awful lot, with lots of bravado, but in the end they are a 2 win staff. They're really going to have to improve themselves a great deal this year.

I can't agree with this.

The coaching staff can do what they do all week. However, its up to the players to perform at a high level on Sundays. The whole GROUP is a 2 win team.

If these coaches can come up with different schemes and have players that can transfer what they've learned/studied during the week into a better performance on Sundays. Then this GROUP should wind up with a lot more than 2 wins....

The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I hope it will be Jonah, MJ, Hopkins, Price, Fred for the next 10 years and two of em turn out to be HoFers.

I think it will be Jonah, MJ, Hopkins, X, Hart which could end up being a really good line. And they are all under 30 so it could be a long term solution as well.
Reply/Quote
Locks to make team:

Jonah Williams (obvious reasons)
Michael Jordan (Turner loves him)
Trey Hopkins (played well, deserves it)
Bobby Hart (Turner seems to love him)
Adenji (Turner loves him,only draft guy he got)
Redmond (Turner loves him)
Price (we need a backup center just in case, not sure if they're ready to throw towel in on 1st round pick either)

Everyone else could be potential cut, obviously they won't cut all. I think the only way any of the guys I have above get cut is some freak incident happens or they show up high on crack. Fred Johnson will battle Bobby "Hartly Blocks" but unless Freddy shows up just blowing away everyone I think he'll end up being the backup cause Turner loves Bobby for whatever reason.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We don't have a bunch of stuff to talk about this time of year and who knows when we will ? things being as they are. But anyways kind of going of my thread Williams RT Johnson LT, who do you think are the starters/backups, how many do we keep ? Yes we don't really have a lot to go on but anyways, fwiw, here's my take:

Locks:

Jonah Williams
Michael Jordan
Trey Hopkins
Bobby Hart - I think they like Hart and I'd say he makes team even if he's a backup

And here's where it starts getting a little dicey

Billy Price - I'd guess he makes team however it wouldn't shock me if he's cut ?
Xavier Su'a-Filo I'd say he makes team and starts at RG
Fred Johnson - again I'd say he makes team at least as a backup

And then the 4 guys fighting for the remaining 2 spots. I'd say they keep 9 Olineman + a P.S. or two ?

Alex Redmond G
Oshea Dugas T
Isaiah Prince T
Hakeem Adeniji G

So I'd say:

LT J. Williams
LG M. Jordan
C T. Hopkins
RG XSF
RT B. Hart

Backups:

F. Johnson - I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he might push Hart hard for his job ?
H. Adeniji - I believe they had this guy targeted and he's versatile
B. Price - Will they cut bait ?
I. Prince - just a guess

That leaves A. Redmond and O. Dugas getting cut/PS. I wouldn't rule out the Bengals picking up a camp cut.

Dugas over Prince maybe. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 09:46 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I can't agree with this.

The coaching staff can do what they do all week. However, its up to the players to perform at a high level on Sundays. The whole GROUP is a 2 win team.

If these coaches can come up with different schemes and have players that can transfer what they've learned/studied during the week into a better performance on Sundays. Then this GROUP should wind up with a lot more than 2 wins....

They changed up the GROUP big time this Offseason too.

I forgot how many of the starters have been changed, Billings to Reader, Kirkpatrick to Waynes, Dennard to Alexander, Vigil to 
Bynes, Miller to XSF, Dalton to Joe Burrow and not to mention the rest of the Draft and FA. Glenn to Jonah is a big one as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 01:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They changed up the GROUP big time this Offseason too.

I forgot how many of the starters have been changed, Billings to Reader, Kirkpatrick to Waynes, Dennard to Alexander, Vigil to 
Bynes, Miller to XSF, Dalton to Joe Burrow and not to mention the rest of the Draft and FA. Glenn to Jonah is a big one as well.

I agree with you, about the improved quality of the roster.  Like I've said previously, I see a team that will need a few games to get acclimated to playing together.  Then, I could see them really gaining some momentum and becoming a strong unit to contend with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 02:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with you, about the improved quality of the roster.  Like I've said previously, I see a team that will need a few games to get acclimated to playing together.  Then, I could see them really gaining some momentum and becoming a strong unit to contend with.

Yeah, it will take some time man. This no OTA's thing hurts us in this aspect.

Hopefully the coaches can bring all these guys together quickly so we can gain chemistry and really gel.
Reply/Quote