Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters/backups who ya got ?
(05-12-2020, 04:10 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: For sure the Bengals don't want to cut him given the dead money.  Trading him doesn't seem likely either, trade a 1st for a 7th?  Not a good look.  Price has huge motivations this season in his contract year.  Both sides are motivated to work well together this season.

Sure would be great if Price finally started living up to his first round status.

Would help the entire team if he did.

I am a bit baffled by how bad he has been so far, sure he has been injured but even then I never thought he would of been THIS bad. Thought he had the highest upside of the Centers in his draft with his anchor and run blocking prowess. He just had short arms which might be holding him back along with the injuries.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 04:10 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: For sure the Bengals don't want to cut him given the dead money.  Trading him doesn't seem likely either, trade a 1st for a 7th?  Not a good look.  Price has huge motivations this season in his contract year.  Both sides are motivated to work well together this season.

This isn't his contract year. That's 2021.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With the extra roster spots I'm hoping we keep 10 OL this year. Maybe that is a long shot but then I looked at build. Typically you want your heavier guys on the right side for run blocking but not always. You also tend to want shorter guys on the interior so you can see/pass over them. Below is the positions I think will start pre-season with their backups (though obviously some guys can play/backup more than one spot):

LT: Jonah Williams 6'4 305
Isaiah Prince 6'7 305

LG: Michael Jordan 6'6 315
Hakeem Adeniji 6'4 302

C: Trey Hopkins 6'3 316
Billy Price 6'4 310

RG: Xavier Su'a-Filo 6'4 312
Alex Redmond 6'5 320

RT: Bobby Hart 6'5 310
Fred Johnson 6'7 326
O'Shea Dugas 6'4 335

If we were keeping 10 I'd probably let Prince or Dugas go. I know almost nothing about Prince and what I saw of Dugas last year did not impress me (though someone in this thread spoke highly of him so who knows). Of course, odds are not everyone gets through camp healthy anyways.

Also, this is my prediction, not what I want. If it were up to me I'd demote Hart and Jordan right off the bat and make them earn the starting position back.

Edit: OK I see now I was misunderstanding the new roster rules so keeping 10 is unlikely.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price has a higher dead cap than he does a cap hit this year.
Dead cap = $4.8 mill

It would be detrimental to the Bengals if Price is released or traded, as they'd be paying for him whether he's on the roster or not.
Because of that, I think he stays on the roster and backs up all the IOL positions.

I looked that up and posted again later, acknowledging what you have said here.  Plus, he can back up center position.  I thought his contract was up after this year, but they have two years remaining.  
Reply/Quote
LT: Williams (Johnson)
LG: Sua-Filo (Adeniji) (Jordan)
C:   Hopkins (Price)
RG: Redmond (Price) (Jordan)
RT: Hart (Johnson)

If it were me, I'd be looking at signing a starting RG. I'd seriously consider starting Fast Freddy at RT over Hart, I just haven't seen enough of him to assume that he's going to beat out Hart(who has by far the most reps at T on the roster). Starting Fred J at guard and signing a capable backup at swing tackle might be another option. 

This line is young and has a lot of potential. It's unfortunate that OL can take a lot longer than other positions to develop. We may see a day where Jordan, Hart, Price, whomever is considered to be a high quality OL player, but it could he a ways away. If this group looks too rickety to keep Burrow from being battered, I hope that they troll the FA market for a good pass protector.
Reply/Quote
What I would do...

Starters:
LT - Williams
LG - XSF
C - Hopkins
RG - Hart
RT - Johnson

Backups:
OT - Adeniji
OG - Jordan
C - Price

I think there will be one more spot to fill, but honestly any of Prince, Redmond, Dugas, or a camp cut would be fine based on what they are needing/wanting at the time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 05:32 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: LT: Williams (Johnson)
LG: Sua-Filo (Adeniji) (Jordan)
C:   Hopkins (Price)
RG: Redmond (Price) (Jordan)
RT: Hart (Johnson)

If it were me, I'd be looking at signing a starting RG. I'd seriously consider starting Fast Freddy at RT over Hart, I just haven't seen enough of him to assume that he's going to beat out Hart(who has by far the most reps at T on the roster). Starting Fred J at guard and signing a capable backup at swing tackle might be another option. 

This line is young and has a lot of potential. It's unfortunate that OL can take a lot longer than other positions to develop. We may see a day where Jordan, Hart, Price, whomever is considered to be a high quality OL player, but it could he a ways away. If this group looks too rickety to keep Burrow from being battered, I hope that they troll the FA market for a good pass protector.

Bilbo, you would have the penalty machine at RG?
Reply/Quote
I guess it depends on how many they keep on the 53. FWIW, there are not 2 extra roster spots. Gameday actives went to 48 from 46, (as long as one is an OL), but that should not impact the 53. 2 guys from the PS can now be part of the active roster for the week, but it cannot be the same 2 guys over and over. A player can be activated and sent back to PS twice without a waiver process, but the third time they do. Plus, PS guys can always get signed by another team.

Anywho, I think they keep 9 on the 53, plus 1-2 on the PS. 10 is not out of the question, though, depending on howmany QBS (2 or 3), LBs (5 or 6), WRs (6 or 7), TEs (3 or 4), CBs (5 or 6), DLs (8 or 10), & RBs (3 or 4) we keep on the 53.

Of the 9, I think 8 are pretty straighforward.

1. Jonah Williams. LT. Lock starter. We think he is a stud LT. Time to find out. If not, he could be a stud RT or G.

2. Trey Hopkins. C. Lock starter. Leader of the OL.

3. Michael Jordan. LG. Lock to make the team. Near lock starter. Only way he doesn't is if at camp he looks like the guy from the start of last season rather than the end.

4. Xavier Su'a-Filo. RG. Team lock, likely starter. No way he does not make the team. We went and got him for a reason. If Price starts playing like a first rounder, he could start, though I do not think that likely. The loser of the RT competition could also move inside. Johnson was a G in college & Hart knows the offense. His IQ is the best part of his game.

5. Bobby Hart. RT. Team lock. Incumbent RT. Smart guy with limited ability. Will battle for RT with Johnson, loser could barlttle for RG spot.

6. Fred Johnson. RT/G/LT. Team lock. Him or Hart will start at RT. Loser could challenge at RG also. Johnson played G in college, IIRC.

7. Billy Price. G/C. Near lock to make the team. Outside shot to start at RG. His contract makes it more expensive to cut or trade him than to keep. And he is the only other guy with NFL C experience. Awful & injured last year. Hopefully good health equals better play.

8. Adeniji. G/T. Near lock to make the team. Versatile guy. T at Kansas. G at Senior Bowl. Projected at G. Probably a year away from contributing but I think they like him too much to risk him getting poached off the PS.

That leaves 1 spot left. If we sign a vet OL guy (Warford, Peters, etc) then this spot is theirs. If not, we got 5 guys battling for the last spot (maybe 2) and 1-2 spots on the PS.

Right now, I'd favor Redmond (G) for #9 with Dugas (G) & Prince (OT) on the PS. Knipfel (OT) & Cordasco being SOL.

I think camp will determine the last spot. Redmond makes $2.1 mil and everyone else is south of $700k. We could save $1.4 by releasing him (no dead money). If any of the others are close to his level, I would cut him and save some cap $$ (either rollover or a FA). If we sign a FA OL, Redmond is gone unless we keep 10, no way a PS guy makes $2.1 mil.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 07:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I would do...

Starters:
LT - Williams
LG - XSF
C - Hopkins
RG - Hart
RT - Johnson

Backups:
OT - Adeniji
OG - Jordan
C - Price

I think there will be one more spot to fill, but honestly any of Prince, Redmond, Dugas, or a camp cut would be fine based on what they are needing/wanting at the time.

I like this thought if Fred Johnson is a better RT than Hart.

I still have not been able to see any of FJ's tape, at all.

Still really liking Adeniji and Jordan has been getting pimped up by Bengals.com.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this thought if Fred Johnson is a better RT than Hart.

I still have not been able to see any of FJ's tape, at all.

Still really liking Adeniji and Jordan has been getting pimped up by Bengals.com.

Come on. You know the rule.
If a player is getting pimped up by Bengals.com, that player likely is going to flop after a few games.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We don't have a bunch of stuff to talk about this time of year and who knows when we will ? things being as they are. But anyways kind of going of my thread Williams RT Johnson LT, who do you think are the starters/backups, how many do we keep ? Yes we don't really have a lot to go on but anyways, fwiw, here's my take:

Locks:

Jonah Williams
Michael Jordan
Trey Hopkins
Bobby Hart - I think they like Hart and I'd say he makes team even if he's a backup

And here's where it starts getting a little dicey

Billy Price - I'd guess he makes team however it wouldn't shock me if he's cut ?
Xavier Su'a-Filo I'd say he makes team and starts at RG
Fred Johnson - again I'd say he makes team at least as a backup

And then the 4 guys fighting for the remaining 2 spots. I'd say they keep 9 Olineman + a P.S. or two ?

Alex Redmond G
Oshea Dugas T
Isaiah Prince T
Hakeem Adeniji G

So I'd say:

LT J. Williams
LG M. Jordan
C T. Hopkins
RG XSF
RT B. Hart

Backups:

F. Johnson - I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he might push Hart hard for his job ?
H. Adeniji - I believe they had this guy targeted and he's versatile
B. Price - Will they cut bait ?
I. Prince - just a guess

That leaves A. Redmond and O. Dugas getting cut/PS. I wouldn't rule out the Bengals picking up a camp cut.
I don't think Bobby Hart stays on this team if they are serious about acquiring Warford. I also think Redmond is gone.

I think F Johnson will start over Hart anyway. Adeniji prob becomes the swing Tackle.

Cant say who the starting Guards will be until we find out if they'll add somebody.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 07:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bilbo, you would have the penalty machine at RG?

I just haven't seen enough out of Price or Jordan to believe that they're better than him as of yet. Jordan's first action might be coloring my opinion too heavily here. Either him or Price could take a major step forward next year, but so could Redmond if he could stop lunging over his toes when he punches. Adeniji is a good prospect, but he's raw.

Redmond and Hart could potentially be a good run blocking duo on the right side. I hear you though, that pass protection might get scary. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Come on. You know the rule.
If a player is getting pimped up by Bengals.com, that player likely is going to flop after a few games.

this time .....

https://images.app.goo.gl/2TeawMsCoz7ZCUDQ6
Reply/Quote
I'm still surprised at how many people think Hart is going to get cut. Even if Johnson beats him out (which I doubt) I don't think he'll be cut. The team likes him, and he's not the disaster people make him out to be. And we can afford Warford and still keep Hart (Redmond would indeed be Gonzo).

I think the best realistic case scenario for our OL would be Williams - Jordan - Hopkins - Warford - Hart.

Because I'm still bullish on Jordan and if Fred Johnson can get better, why can't Hart? He's just entering his prime.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Come on. You know the rule.

This is true lol

(05-12-2020, 10:13 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I just haven't seen enough out of Price or Jordan to believe that they're better than him as of yet. Jordan's first action might be coloring my opinion too heavily here. Either him or Price could take a major step forward next year, but so could Redmond if he could stop lunging over his toes when he punches. Adeniji is a good prospect, but he's raw.

Redmond and Hart could potentially be a good run blocking duo on the right side. I hear you though, that pass protection might get scary. 

Yeah, doesn't matter how good you are if you are a walking penalty out there.

Big reason why I didn't even mention Redmond.

Hoping we bring in Warford at RG.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This isn't his contract year. That's 2021.

My bad.  Then again, given how bad Billy Price has looked in the NFL, every season til end of 2021 has to be considered a contract year for purposes of motivation.  Don't you think?
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I guess it depends on how many they keep on the 53. FWIW, there are not 2 extra roster spots. Gameday actives went to 48 from 46, (as long as one is an OL), but that should not impact the 53. 2 guys from the PS can now be part of the active roster for the week, but it cannot be the same 2 guys over and over. A player can be activated and sent back to PS twice without a waiver process, but the third time they do. Plus, PS guys can always get signed by another team.

Anywho, I think they keep 9 on the 53, plus 1-2 on the PS. 10 is not out of the question, though, depending on howmany QBS (2 or 3), LBs (5 or 6), WRs (6 or 7), TEs (3 or 4), CBs (5 or 6), DLs (8 or 10), & RBs (3 or 4) we keep on the 53.

Of the 9, I think 8 are pretty straighforward.

1. Jonah Williams. LT. Lock starter. We think he is a stud LT. Time to find out. If not, he could be a stud RT or G.

2. Trey Hopkins. C. Lock starter. Leader of the OL.

3. Michael Jordan. LG. Lock to make the team. Near lock starter. Only way he doesn't is if at camp he looks like the guy from the start of last season rather than the end.

4. Xavier Su'a-Filo. RG. Team lock,  likely starter. No way he does not make the team. We went and got him for a reason. If Price starts playing like a first rounder, he could start, though I do not think that likely. The loser of the RT competition could also move inside. Johnson was a G in college & Hart knows the offense. His IQ is the best part of his game.

5. Bobby Hart. RT. Team lock. Incumbent RT. Smart guy with limited ability.  Will battle for RT with Johnson, loser could barlttle for RG spot.

6. Fred Johnson. RT/G/LT. Team lock. Him or Hart will start at RT. Loser could challenge at RG also. Johnson played G in college, IIRC.

7. Billy Price. G/C. Near lock to make the team. Outside shot to start at RG. His contract makes it more expensive to cut or trade him than to keep. And he is the only other guy with NFL C experience. Awful & injured last year. Hopefully good health equals better play.

8. Adeniji. G/T. Near lock to make the team. Versatile guy. T at Kansas. G at Senior Bowl. Projected at G. Probably a year away from contributing but I think they like him too much to risk him getting poached off the PS.

That leaves 1 spot left. If we sign a vet OL guy (Warford, Peters, etc) then this spot is theirs. If not, we got 5 guys battling for the last spot (maybe 2) and 1-2 spots on the PS.

Right now, I'd favor Redmond (G) for #9 with Dugas (G) & Prince (OT) on the PS. Knipfel (OT) & Cordasco being SOL.

I think camp will determine the last spot. Redmond makes $2.1 mil and everyone else is south of $700k. We could save $1.4 by releasing him (no dead money). If any of the others are close to his level, I would cut him and save some cap $$ (either rollover or a FA). If we sign a FA OL, Redmond is gone unless we keep 10, no way a PS guy makes $2.1 mil.

Interesting. Thank you for posting the new roster rules as I was clearly misunderstanding them. 

Your take makes a lot of sense though I'm guessing there will be at least one injury (I hope not but it does happen) which might result in things changing (probably Redmond makes the team unless said injury was at OT in which case Dugas or Prince have a better shot).

Reply/Quote
Is there any chance Price can figure it out and at least become average? He was so solid at OSU.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
LT-Williams,LG-Jordan,C-Hopkins,RG—XSF,RT-Johnson.Cut Price.
Reply/Quote
I hope Fred Johnson is good enough to start somewhere along the line.
Reply/Quote