Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oline worries are overrated - play design has been terrible.
(09-20-2022, 10:58 AM)Housh Wrote: We called a pass play once where Volson was supposed to pull and block someone on the whole opposite side of the line he was on. Of course he missed the block. When i saw that play i knew this line wasn’t the problem. These coaches are idiots

This was a play action pass, in order to sell it not only does the QB have to fake the handoff but the line has to mimic what it normally does in a run play.  LBs key off the olines 1st step.   Terrible call when the guy the rookie is supposed to pull across to block is the defending sack leader and DPOY.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:41 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well play design has been horrible for 3 years and 2 games we were hoping at least the OL would improve. after investing so much into it

Not only has play design been an issue but play calling has been horrid as well. 

What did we know about Cappa and Collins when we signed them? They were really good run blockers and good enough pass blockers. What do our coaches do? Run the opposite way behind a rookie. 

For some unknown reason this this is the breakdown of our runs per game.
Steelers:
LEFT - 13 for an average of      2ypc
MIDDLE - 4 for an average of   3ypc
RIGHT - 3 for an average of      6.5 ypc

Cowboys:
LEFT - 10 for an average of       2.4ypc
MIDDLE - 9 for an average of.   2.8 ypc
RIGHT - 7 for an average of       5.1 ypc

To me this is where the ineptitude of our coaching staff becomes mind boggling. In addition to what everyone has pointed out about how predictable they are we just run stupid plays and don't use people to their strengths. 
Reply/Quote
Awful......

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-09-20-at-11-39-04-AM.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Awful......

Good Think Burrow is Quoted as liking to get hit on the field
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrow definately audibles plays. Whether it's just from pass to run...I don't know.

Under center, they run A LOT. And they have basically very little play action.

I honestly think a top college OC could do much better with this team.

Easily. Outside of the OL this team is so incredibly talented. But the OL has a LOT of issues. To the Bengals' credit, y'all tried to improve it. It just hasn't worked out. Burrow seems a little rattled, I have to think he just doesn't trust the OL, and you KNOW he's got that injury in the back of his mind. 

I'm not even sure what you do about the OL at this point, if anything. I'm going to be concerned every time Joe gets sacked. There's no way he'll be able to take a beating this year like he has the last 2 years. It's just too much. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:44 PM)TheFan Wrote: Not only has play design been an issue but play calling has been horrid as well. 

What did we know about Cappa and Collins when we signed them? They were really good run blockers and good enough pass blockers. What do our coaches do? Run the opposite way behind a rookie. 

For some unknown reason this this is the breakdown of our runs per game.
Steelers:
LEFT - 13 for an average of      2ypc
MIDDLE - 4 for an average of   3ypc
RIGHT - 3 for an average of      6.5 ypc

Cowboys:
LEFT - 10 for an average of       2.4ypc
MIDDLE - 9 for an average of.   2.8 ypc
RIGHT - 7 for an average of       5.1 ypc

To me this is where the ineptitude of our coaching staff becomes mind boggling. In addition to what everyone has pointed out about how predictable they are we just run stupid plays and don't use people to their strengths. 

Just dumbfounding ain't it? I mean it's not rocket science.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Awful......

We're on pace right now for one hundred and ten sacks. Just mind blowing !
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We're on pace right now for one hundred and ten sacks. Just mind blowing !

OL will gel more over the season. It's just a question of how much they will do so.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This was a play action pass, in order to sell it not only does the QB have to fake the handoff but the line has to mimic what it normally does in a run play.  LBs key off the olines 1st step.   Terrible call when the guy the rookie is supposed to pull across to block is the defending sack leader and DPOY.

And he's not known for his athleticism. Again not using players to their strengths. 
Reply/Quote
I got so used to us taking sacks I forgot most teams dont really take 4-6 a game. Getting 2 in one game is kinda a good game for a defense.

Defenses must LOVE seeing us on the schedule
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Thing to remember here is out of 13 sacks 6 can directly be attributed to Burrow. Also sacks are not the sole measure of line play.
Reply/Quote
Explanation I got today was the OL issues are the catalyst for our issues. Not making any excuses here for anybody. Their lack of cohesion and poor communication can be blamed on them and the staff. It’s not all on them. They’ve not been given the grace or time needed. Total miss here on the staff with Taylor and Pollack the real blame. Taylor and Pollack were naive here. Burrow is a slow starter mr although he’s dramatically involved with starting quicker he’s just a slow starter. He missed time and is rusty. Let’s face it the whole team is rusty as hell.

The team is going to be fine but they are digging themselves a hole that might be too deep to crawl out if they don’t watch out
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

[Image: d1c833a078f58f949d48234c14ea1db7.png]

(09-20-2022, 03:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Thing to remember here is out of 13 sacks 6 can directly be attributed to Burrow. Also sacks are not the sole measure of line play.

Even if you play that game, that means the OL is still on pace to be responsible for 60 sacks. There's no good way to cut it. It's pretty much all rotten.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The "Burrow is holding the ball too long" narrative isn't wrong but it is also getting a bit off the rails. His time to throw is actually 8th fastest in the league so he is getting rid of the ball the issue is that excludes when he takes sacks and so there are things causing him to hold the ball from time to time that may be resulting in him being the cause of the sack.

Again, not saying he can't check down quicker at times but let's slow the "holds the ball too long" narrative a bit. Side note, Cooper rush on Sunday got the ball out faster than anyone else has in the entire NFL this weekend. That probably helps explain to people worried about the pass rush why it was somewhat tough.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

I don't get the Josh dudes question. Obviously that would look even worse for Burrow. He's pressured 17th most and taken the most sacks. So obviously his ability to avoid the sack is worse than everyone else. Or am I not understanding this correctly?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 05:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: The "Burrow is holding the ball too long" narrative isn't wrong but it is also getting a bit off the rails. His time to throw is actually 8th fastest in the league so he is getting rid of the ball the issue is that excludes when he takes sacks and so there are things causing him to hold the ball from time to time that may be resulting in him being the cause of the sack.

Again, not saying he can't check down quicker at times but let's slow the "holds the ball too long" narrative a bit. Side note, Cooper rush on Sunday got the ball out faster than anyone else has in the entire NFL this weekend. That probably helps explain to people worried about the pass rush why it was somewhat tough.

A couple of the sacks blamed on Burrow are because he was resetting when pressured and the throw window closes. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 05:38 PM)TheFan Wrote: I don't get the Josh dudes question. Obviously that would look even worse for Burrow. He's pressured 17th most and taken the most sacks. So obviously his ability to avoid the sack is worse than everyone else. Or am I not understanding this correctly?

This is actually tied to one of the things I have mentioned in a few threads. The line isn't forming a pocket they are all drifting back into him even when not blocking creating issues where he has to reset or move just to throw and it's creating a lot of traffic for him to navigate. I feel like I have to say this a lot but, I am not saying he doesn't have blame but when you turn on the tape there is a lot more going on here beyond the stats.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 05:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is actually tied to one of the things I have mentioned in a few threads. The line isn't forming a pocket they are all drifting back into him even when not blocking creating issues where he has to reset or move just to throw and it's creating a lot of traffic for him to navigate. I feel like I have to say this a lot but, I am not saying he doesn't have blame but when you turn on the tape there is a lot more going on here beyond the stats.

For sure - I don't understand what coaching the line is getting for why they keep dropping 5 yards back even if there's no one they're blocking. Regardless though I don't get how this would be a good stat for Burrow because either way he's worst in the league at avoiding the sack when pressured. 
Reply/Quote