Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympics
How good was it to see Titmus beat Ledecky twice to win Gold for Australia?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 10:41 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: How good was it to see Titmus beat Ledecky twice to win Gold for Australia?

I've enjoyed other races more Wink  

But that said, I love the community aspect of so much of the Olympics, people just wanting everyone to give their best and celebrating each other's victories.  To see real celebration is awesome, and Ledecky seems to really be an awesome supporter of everyone she shares the pool with. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 11:50 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I've enjoyed other races more Wink  

But that said, I love the community aspect of so much of the Olympics, people just wanting everyone to give their best and celebrating each other's victories.  To see real celebration is awesome, and Ledecky seems to really be an awesome supporter of everyone she shares the pool with. 

She was good in the 800m, I put that post up this morning and karma came back and got me with the US swimmer beating out Chalmers to win the 100m freestyle.

We are in a really heavy lockdown over here and the olympics has been a real saviour to me this week.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 11:58 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: She was good in the 800m, I put that post up this morning and karma came back and got me with the US swimmer beating out Chalmers to win the 100m freestyle.

We are in a really heavy lockdown over here and the olympics has been a real saviour to me this week.

We're not in heavy lockdown mode (yet), but the Olympics are always a great escape.  I always look forward to them.  And the Aussies aren't having a bad Games at all! 

Dressel's win (and OR) over Chalmers was a good race, but my favorite swim so far was Bobby Finke coming from 4th to 1st in the blink of an eye in the 800 freestyle.  Absolutely never saw that coming. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 09:03 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: We're not in heavy lockdown mode (yet), but the Olympics are always a great escape.  I always look forward to them.  And the Aussies aren't having a bad Games at all! 

Dressel's win (and OR) over Chalmers was a good race, but my favorite swim so far was Bobby Finke coming from 4th to 1st in the blink of an eye in the 800 freestyle.  Absolutely never saw that coming. 

Yeah that really was a great race, yeah Australia has 8 gold so far so it has been a really good games. My favourite medal of the games happened this afternoon when Jess Fox won the Canoe Slalom. She lives 5 mins away from me and is an absolutely lovely person, put me in a great mood tonight.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 10:09 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: My favourite medal of the games happened this afternoon when Jess Fox won the Canoe Slalom. She lives 5 mins away from me and is an absolutely lovely person, put me in a great mood tonight.

She's also quite a beauty.

I'm glad Australia does so well, after all there's a slight chance some mistake your successes for Austrian ones.

Not that we do all that bad ourselves. We already have four medals, which is already four medals more than expected.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 09:21 AM)hollodero Wrote: She's also quite a beauty.

I'm glad Australia does so well, after all there's a slight chance some mistake your successes for Austrian ones.

Not that we do all that bad ourselves. We already have four medals, which is already four medals more than expected.

Travelling overseas, I have always had people confuse Australia with Austria.

I must say I also enjoy your guys success in the Winter Olympics for the same reason lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 09:15 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: Travelling overseas, I have always had people confuse Australia with Austria.

Oh yeah, it's more than just a cliché.

[Image: 4659170894996ccb913aa881d06c4ae5]

...I mean, really, why would you do that. Building fences 14.000 kilometers away really solves nothing.

-- there's actually one other thing I always wanted to ask an Australian. What's the deal with loving the Eurovision Song Contest so much?

- to add to the olympics topic, the gold medal of that Austrian cyclist was one of the funniest things ever. The second placed Dutch girl thought she'd actually won. They just all forgot about the one that drove away at the start. When the Durch athlete was asked if she had underestimated her, she replied, I did not, how can you underestimate someone you don't even know.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 08:15 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh yeah, it's more than just a cliché.

[Image: 4659170894996ccb913aa881d06c4ae5]

...I mean, really, why would you do that. Building fences 14.000 kilometers away really solves nothing.

-- there's actually one other thing I always wanted to ask an Australian. What's the deal with loving the Eurovision Song Contest so much?

- to add to the olympics topic, the gold medal of that Austrian cyclist was one of the funniest things ever. The second placed Dutch girl thought she'd actually won. They just all forgot about the one that drove away at the start. When the Durch athlete was asked if she had underestimated her, she replied, I did not, how can you underestimate someone you don't even know.

Yeah I was watching that cycling race, I am a massive cycling fan. I really enjoy the Olympic Road race as they are not allowed to use radios so the strategy needs to be done by the riders on the road and you get things like the peleton not knowing the Austrian girl was out in front.

Eurovision is huge over here, its a combination of a couple of things. We have a multicultural society that has people from everywhere, a public broadcaster that is primarily caters to that multicultural side of our society. That broadcaster has broadcast Eurovision for decades to the point that eurovision has entered the general pop culture in Australia. A lot of people enjoy it quite ironically and find the humour in it, it really does sit quite well in the Aussie style of humour. But as you are probably aware Australia now sends competitors over and the whole selection process has become reasonable big over here as well. 
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 08:55 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Yeah I was watching that cycling race, I am a massive cycling fan. I really enjoy the Olympic Road race as they are not allowed to use radios so the strategy needs to be done by the riders on the road and you get things like the peleton not knowing the Austrian girl was out in front.

Ever heard of her before? For even Austrians were hardly aware of someone called Anna Kiesenhofer. She's not even a pro. Her day job is being a mathematician in Lausanne and working at CERN.
- Which is kinda impressive. You might have the prettiest gold medalists, but ours are the smartest.

(08-01-2021, 08:55 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Eurovision is huge over here, its a combination of a couple of things. We have a multicultural society that has people from everywhere, a public broadcaster that is primarily caters to that multicultural side of our society. That broadcaster has broadcast Eurovision for decades to the point that eurovision has entered the general pop culture in Australia. A lot of people enjoy it quite ironically and find the humour in it, it really does sit quite well in the Aussie style of humour. But as you are probably aware Australia now sends competitors over and the whole selection process has become reasonable big over here as well. 

Oh ok you watch that more on an ironic level, just like we do. I feared for a minute Australians take this whole event totally seriously.

Not that it isn't still kinda bizarre. For starters, this probably shows real early in the morning. The Song Contest, what a weird way to start the day.
Everyone I know considers it real cool that Australia participates though. Albeit some maybe hope that we get some additional votes from people confusing the countries again.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 11:53 AM)hollodero Wrote: Ever heard of her before? For even Austrians were hardly aware of someone called Anna Kiesenhofer. She's not even a pro. Her day job is being a mathematician in Lausanne and working at CERN.
- Which is kinda impressive. You might have the prettiest gold medalists, but ours are the smartest.

Oh ok you watch that more on an ironic level, just like we do. I feared for a minute Australians take this whole event totally seriously.

Not that it isn't still kinda bizarre. For starters, this probably shows real early in the morning. The Song Contest, what a weird way to start the day.
Everyone I know considers it real cool that Australia participates though. Albeit some maybe hope that we get some additional votes from people confusing the countries again.

Yeah our hosts are always comedians and it is something we take the piss out of in a good natured way, almost like its so bad that it is good lol. Though since we have started sending people to compete some people over here take it a little more seriously. I must say some of the Scandinavian countries entrants are really out there and that is really where our enjoyment in it lies.

Though Australia also had Olivia Newton John compete in Eurovision in 1974 as an entrant for the United Kingdom and that is probably where the Australia public became aware of the contest.

I have never met many Austrians in the past, I think the only place I have ever met any are instructors at our ski fields.
Reply/Quote
Spain vs USA in Basketball is an underrated rivalry and yet they meet again. Can Spain beat Team USA and end the streak of being knocked out of the Olympics for the 5th straight time by team USA?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 01:23 PM)J24 Wrote: Spain vs USA in Basketball is an underrated rivalry and yet they meet again. Can Spain beat Team USA  and end the streak of being knocked out of the Olympics for the 5th straight time by team USA?

Doesn't matter, the Boomers will clean up whoever wins anyway lol
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 09:39 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Doesn't matter, the Boomers will clean up whoever wins anyway lol

You guys just lost your best Center due to slipping on the bathroom floor.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 07:41 PM)J24 Wrote: You guys just lost your best Center due to slipping on the bathroom floor.

Still winning games, watching the Boomers right now lol
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 07:41 PM)J24 Wrote: You guys just lost your best Center due to slipping on the bathroom floor.

Boomers win, Boomers take on the USA in the Semi Final
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 10:47 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Boomers win, Boomers take on the USA in the Semi Final

Should be a good game. Patty Mills is the truth when it comes to FIBA play.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 12:04 PM)J24 Wrote: Should be a good game. Patty Mills is the truth when it comes to FIBA play.

Yeah he is having a really good tournament.
Reply/Quote
USA is hard to beat when they lock down defensively. Australia was the better team in the first half US was fortunate to be down only 3.
J24

Reply/Quote
That bronze medal game in Women's soccer (USA v AUS) was sloppy, but had some amazing goals. Olympico, volley, distance. Wow.
Reply/Quote