Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Bengals One and Done's
This year Steelers, Chiefs, Bills, Panthers, Rams all were One And Done's. For their fans it hurts just as much. OK, Pittsburg has Super Bowl wins in modern history. The fans in the other 4 cities don't. I'm still not sure winning a bye week is a true One And Done since team moved into second round of play-offs. I am sure I would rather make play-offs than not make play-offs. These 5 teams at least gave their fans play-off years. The Bengals at least gave fans 5 straight play-off seasons for a franchise not known for having 2 good seasons in a row. I think most Bengals fans want team back in play-offs ASAP and hoping to go deeper than One and Done. Still, look at Saints losing to Vikings in last 14 seconds and you see that even good teams can lose in the wildest of finishes. Now they weren't One and Done, but still a tough loss. .....I point this out because we hear of Bengals One and Done's greatly but not these other teams. Chiefs and Bills aren't known for going deep in play-offs either for a few decades. So on the Bengals One and Dones, at least Coach Lewis got team to play-offs 7 times and those were 7 fun regular seasons of getting into play-offs. Much better than Browns, unless you are a Draft Day nut and don't like the regular season. So 5 good teams had One and Done's this year because everybody in play-offs is good and somebody has to lose. Only one team can win Super Bowl. I like that Bengals put together 5 straight play-off seasons even if the losses were hard, especially Chargers and Steelers in The Jungle losses. Steelers, Chiefs and Rams will wonder how they lost at home this year. .....So hoping Bengals get back to play-offs ASAP and hoping we finally get that play-off win, but knowing play-offs of any kind are better than no play-offs at all. Even with our 13-18-1 record the last 2 years the road back to play-offs is not as far as Browns of 1-31 over the same 2 years. Anybody that doesn't see 7-9 as better than 0-16 doesn't know beans about football. ......So 5 good teams went One and Done and ESPN and such aren't beating it to death as they do Bengals. I'll finish by repeating losing in the play-offs is better than no play-offs at all and Hoping Bengals return to play-offs ASAP.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
steelers went 0-1 and out early, so this makes me happy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Paragraphs are your friend.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
[Image: 5paragraphessay.JPG]

Reply/Quote
Obviously, the history of the franchise, the fact that the Bengals don’t have a post season victory since freaking 1990, is why the string of one and done’s get so much attention from the media and our own fan base.

The Chiefs have a poor playoff history, i’ve heard many in the media talking about that and I’m sure their fans are pretty disgusted as well.

Let’s face it, the Bengals won’t turn off the negative media until they have some post season success.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:54 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Obviously, the history of the franchise, the fact that the Bengals don’t have a post season victory since freaking 1990, is why the string of one and done’s get so much attention from the media and our own fan base. The Chiefs have a poor playoff history, i’ve heard many in the media talking about that and I’m sure their fans are pretty disgusted as well. Let’s face it,  the Bengals won’t turn off the negative media until they have some post season success.

Agreed.  It's all about perspective.  The Bills of the 1990s showed us that even making it to the Super Bowl doesn't stop you from being a mockable joke if you lose 4 in a row.  

As for the Bengals, it's clear that we have a franchise that has installed a ceiling upon our team's success and every time we have a promising season that hits that ceiling with a fury, I expect people to point it out.  In 27 Mike Brown seasons we've managed to finish in 12th place 7 times, and no better.  That's a sort of consistency that is worth picking on.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:16 PM)kevin Wrote: This year Steelers, Chiefs, Bills, Panthers, Rams all were One And Done's.  For their fans it hurts just as much. OK, Pittsburg has Super Bowl wins in modern history.  The fans in the other 4 cities don't.  I'm still not sure winning a bye week is a true One And Done since team moved into second round of play-offs.  I am sure I would rather make play-offs than not make play-offs.  These 5 teams at least gave their fans play-off years.  The Bengals at least gave fans 5 straight play-off seasons for a franchise not known for having 2 good seasons in a row.  I think most Bengals fans want team back in play-offs ASAP and hoping to go deeper than One and Done.  Still, look at Saints losing to Vikings in last 14 seconds and you see that even good teams can lose in the wildest of finishes.  Now they weren't One and Done, but still a tough loss. .....I point this out because we hear of Bengals One and Done's greatly but not these other teams.  Chiefs and Bills aren't known for going deep in play-offs either for a few decades.  So on the Bengals One and Dones, at least Coach Lewis got team to play-offs 7 times and those were 7 fun regular seasons of getting into play-offs.  Much better than Browns, unless you are a Draft Day nut and don't like the regular season. So 5 good teams had One and Done's this year because everybody in play-offs is good and somebody has to lose. Only one team can win Super Bowl.   I like that Bengals put together 5 straight play-off seasons even if the losses were hard, especially Chargers and Steelers in The Jungle losses.  Steelers, Chiefs and Rams will wonder how they lost at home this year.  .....So hoping Bengals get back to play-offs ASAP and hoping we finally get that play-off win, but knowing play-offs of any kind are better than no play-offs at all.  Even with our 13-18-1 record the last 2 years the road back to play-offs is not as far as Browns of 1-31 over the same 2 years. Anybody that doesn't see 7-9 as better than 0-16 doesn't know beans about football. ......So 5 good teams went One and Done and ESPN and such aren't beating it to death as they do Bengals. I'll finish by repeating losing in the play-offs is better than no play-offs at all and Hoping Bengals return to play-offs ASAP.

There's good reasons why the Bengals playoff failures gets talked about so much, and is unique from other teams:

Overall, have 7 straight one an done's
NFL record for most consecutive one and done's  - 5
Tied for 2nd for most playoff losses in a row - 8
Have the longest current streak without a playoff win - 27 years
47 of 50 seasons have ended without a single postseason victory
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:16 PM)kevin Wrote: This year Steelers, Chiefs, Bills, Panthers, Rams all were One And Done's.  For their fans it hurts just as much. OK, Pittsburg has Super Bowl wins in modern history.  The fans in the other 4 cities don't.  I'm still not sure winning a bye week is a true One And Done since team moved into second round of play-offs.  I am sure I would rather make play-offs than not make play-offs.  These 5 teams at least gave their fans play-off years.  The Bengals at least gave fans 5 straight play-off seasons for a franchise not known for having 2 good seasons in a row.  I think most Bengals fans want team back in play-offs ASAP and hoping to go deeper than One and Done.  Still, look at Saints losing to Vikings in last 14 seconds and you see that even good teams can lose in the wildest of finishes.  Now they weren't One and Done, but still a tough loss. .....I point this out because we hear of Bengals One and Done's greatly but not these other teams.  Chiefs and Bills aren't known for going deep in play-offs either for a few decades.  So on the Bengals One and Dones, at least Coach Lewis got team to play-offs 7 times and those were 7 fun regular seasons of getting into play-offs.  Much better than Browns, unless you are a Draft Day nut and don't like the regular season. So 5 good teams had One and Done's this year because everybody in play-offs is good and somebody has to lose. Only one team can win Super Bowl.   I like that Bengals put together 5 straight play-off seasons even if the losses were hard, especially Chargers and Steelers in The Jungle losses.  Steelers, Chiefs and Rams will wonder how they lost at home this year.  .....So hoping Bengals get back to play-offs ASAP and hoping we finally get that play-off win, but knowing play-offs of any kind are better than no play-offs at all.  Even with our 13-18-1 record the last 2 years the road back to play-offs is not as far as Browns of 1-31 over the same 2 years. Anybody that doesn't see 7-9 as better than 0-16 doesn't know beans about football. ......So 5 good teams went One and Done and ESPN and such aren't beating it to death as they do Bengals. I'll finish by repeating losing in the play-offs is better than no play-offs at all and Hoping Bengals return to play-offs ASAP.

Sooooo the takeaway is the Bengals and fans should be happy with repeatedly going to the playoffs even if they haven't won a playoff game in the Mike Brown era because it's more enjoyable than not making playoffs?

I agree that it's more enjoyable to make playoffs vs not, but as you can see from the reaction of fan bases who are used to winning...the fan expectation for those franchises is conference championship or bust at minimum to consider it a successful season.

I think if you asked any Bengals fan 10 years ago whether making the playoffs equates to a successful season, nearly everyone would say yes because it rarely happened.
But after repeated playoff appearances, the bar has been raised. Now if you ask a Bengals fan the same thing, many would say no. Making the playoffs is now the expectation and winning 1+ playoff games is the goal to a satisfactory season. Anything short is disappointment.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't get mad about the lack of a playoff win recently as much as others because imo, unless you're winning the super bowl, no single playoff win matters for anything except getting a worse draft position.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 03:23 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I don't get mad about the lack of a playoff win recently as much as others because imo, unless you're winning the super bowl, no single playoff win matters for anything except getting a worse draft position.

kinda but not really... its like running a 20 mile marathon. Some drop out at the 5 mile mark, others at the 19 mile mark and others win it. I'd definitely want to get close to winning it as possible than the opposite, even if we don't get the Lombardi. Have to have a goal to be successful.

Can someone Photoshop a Super Bowl Ring on Mike Brown's finger? Maybe if he could see how good a SB ring would look on his hand, he make take winning more seriously and make it his goal/priority before he retires.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 03:30 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: kinda but not really... its like running a 20 mile marathon. Some drop out at the 5 mile mark, others at the 19 mile mark and others win it. I'd definitely want to get close to winning it as possible than the opposite, even if we don't get the Lombardi. Have to have a goal to be successful.

Can someone Photoshop a Super Bowl Ring on Mike Brown's finger? Maybe if he could see how good a SB ring would look on his hand, he make take winning more seriously and make it his goal/priority before he retires.

If you're running just 20 miles, it's not technically a marathon. A marathon is 26.2 miles.
But I agree and understand your analogy, it's more impressive running 19 miles compared to 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 03:30 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: kinda but not really... its like running a 20 mile marathon. Some drop out at the 5 mile mark, others at the 19 mile mark and others win it. I'd definitely want to get close to winning it as possible than the opposite, even if we don't get the Lombardi. Have to have a goal to be successful.

Except Mike Brown's SB ring would be made out of stainless steel and glass instead of white gold and diamonds.

Then he'd use the money saved to take the team captains to Wendy's.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except Mike Brown's SB ring would be made out of stainless steel and glass instead of white gold and diamonds.

Then he'd use the money saved to take the team captains to Wendy's.

Only if they ordered off of the value menu, though.
Reply/Quote
We're the only team in NFL history to lose in the wildcard round in 5 straight seasons. We're also the only team in NFL history to lose in the wildcard in 4 straight seasons. All of that would be easier to stomach if they'd won a playoff game in 05 or 09. I'm not happy with just being better than the Browns (who also have a more recent playoff win for cripes sake). Our definition of success has shifted. In 2003 I was thrilled to be 8-8 and appear on the "in the hunt" list when they flashed the standings. In 2004 and 2006 8-8 was unacceptable.

I want a Super Bowl parade in Cincinnati and I won't be truly satisfied until it happens.
Reply/Quote
Yeah right. let's praise mediocrity and be thankful.

Reply/Quote
Making the playoffs is better than not. With that being said winning a playoff game is better than just making the playoffs. Winning a conference championship is better than just making the playoffs and winning a playoff game. Winning a championship is better than winning a conference championship, winning a playoff game, and just making the playoffs.
Making the playoffs is a good accomplishment but there is more to the NFL than making the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

I get your point and it's not like I don't want us to win a playoff game but winning a playoff game isn't the barometer for a franchise. I guess I have realized that only 1 team wins it each year. Not to mention since 2000 maybe only 10 teams have won a Super Bowl. Makes you realize making the playoffs 5 year in a row was amazing. Would anything be any different if we had won just 1 playoff game? No because as soon as you say that, the next person is gonna say cool did you win the Super Bowl. I guess all I'm saying is of course I want a Super Bowl but what is 1 playoff win? Nothing and it seems like thats the gauge of success around here and I just dont agree. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 02:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There's good reasons why the Bengals playoff failures gets talked about so much, and is unique from other teams:

Overall, have 7 straight one an done's
NFL record for most consecutive one and done's  - 5
Tied for 2nd for most playoff losses in a row - 8
Have the longest current streak without a playoff win - 27 years
47 of 50 seasons have ended without a single postseason victory

The Bengals share this record with the chiefs....only there is a caveat...the chiefs have lost 7 straight playoff games at home!

See guys....there's always someone worse off then you.
Reply/Quote
One good thing is that the past is always the past and not the future. You can speculate that the history always repeats itself, but it really doesn't. It often seems like it does because history is written by the victors.. The actual past is quite different than history. They're not the same thing. There's a reason history has the letters S T O R Y in it.. 

Hey, if it weren't for hair splitting we'd all wear the same hair style I guess.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's not the number of one-and-dones we have - it's how we got them that irks me. In all of those playoff games the team looked NOTHING like the regular season world-beater team, especially in the 2nd half where what was working is abandoned or what wasn't working was never adjusted. It's like they trashed or forgot what got them there and just went plain vanilla and predictable.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote