Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Bengals, Whitworh and London
(10-22-2019, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously she does not understand how the NFL works either.  I am sure it hurt her feelings, but the exact same thing happens to older players around the league every year.  

There was absolutely NOTHING "personal" about it.

Again, you ask most fans if they would rather have Whitworth or Troy Blackburn and few if any will say Troy.    Also again, how the NFL works and as you mentioned Patriots, and how worst Front Office in NFL Bengals works are apples and oranges.  Since Paul Brown died the Worst Records speak for themselves.  The Bungles Years.  No Play-off wins in 30 years. More 0-4 starts than any NFL team.   You will find few that compare Bengals Front Office to Patriots Front Office. You are comparing a Dynasty Franchise to worst NFL franchise over last 30 years.  The Patriots Front Office and how they do things is nothing like how losing Bengals front office does things.  Bengals for example have cheapest scouting dept in NFL, and it shows on the field. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I have some sympathy for the Bengals' Front Office on Whit.

We'll see it on Green as well. If we pay him fans will moan that we've overpaid for someone who is an aging, injury prone player. If we let him walk many of those same fans will moan that we've let a Hall of Fame caliber player go.

Why didn't the Bengals consider a franchise tag on Whitworth?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 11:58 AM)kevin Wrote: I agree Whitworth won't be back.  I don't remember any tweet from Troy Blackburn and that shows the mess this team is in, Tweets from an NFL nobody like Troy Blackburn. 

Anyway, it was Whitworth's hope not to play in Cincinnati again and he said one of reasons he took Rams offer over other teams because Rams almost never play Bengals.  Since game is in London, Whitworth will probably get his wish and never play in Cincinnati again.  On going to Rams he said he had reasons not to want to return any time soon and put his old team behind him and focus on new team.  

I also noticed Ogbuehi as Left Tackle for Jacksonville against Bengals last week and played OK.  Is it our coaching last few years ?   

One said Mike Brown prepared well for all these player moves with draft picks.  I don't think these moves worked out well at all.  Plus we needed Linebackers and other areas and that got ignored in the draft.  They keep going Round 1 to get a Left Tackle and sign Top Free Agent money for a Left Tackle. It would have been cheaper and smarter to have kept Whitworth.   After the 8-0 start in 2015, Mike Brown & Family have made a lot of moves, but I can't say they prepared well considering they went from a good team to an awful team the last 3 years.   The high price free agent LT and LB from Bills have been a huge money mistake in their often injured and doing little when they do play.   The last time team drafted LB's high was Maualuga and Rivers and that has been many moons ago.  With almost no scouts, I don't think this Front Office prepares well at all, but I'll let the team on the field represent our Front Office.  2017 was awful enough to get most coaches fired. 2018 was even worse to get almost all coaches fired. Bengals in 2019 on way to 0-8 start in 0 for September & October. Last 3 years this is maybe worst team in NFL in that time span.  Can't say Front Office prepared well, I don't see how anyone can.

We didn't sign a top money free agent LT from Buffalo. We traded down 11 spots in the first round for him. Preston Brown was signed to a one year prove it deal out of Buffalo.

I can't remember the last time this team spent top money on a free agent from another team. When you say Top money, I think of a guy paid in the top 5 for his position. I just can't think of a time the Bengals paid any player from another team Top money.

Mike Brown is in charge and the front office is run like it was back in the 90's. Marvin's last draft (2018) gave us Bates and Hubbard as quality starters, but this year's draft gave us????????? So far, backup QB is the only upgrade we've seen from the 2019 draft.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:51 PM)kevin Wrote: Again, you ask most fans if they would rather have Whitworth or Troy Blackburn and few if any will say Troy.    Also again, how the NFL works and as you mentioned Patriots, and how worst Front Office in NFL Bengals works are apples and oranges.  Since Paul Brown died the Worst Records speak for themselves.  The Bungles Years.  No Play-off wins in 30 years. More 0-4 starts than any NFL team.   You will find few that compare Bengals Front Office to Patriots Front Office. You are comparing a Dynasty Franchise to worst NFL franchise over last 30 years.  The Patriots Front Office and how they do things is nothing like how losing Bengals front office does things.  Bengals for example have cheapest scouting dept in NFL, and it shows on the field. 

You still don't get it.

The Bengals plan of action was the same as the Patriots.  It did not work in execution, but you can't say that makes it a personal insult.  Lawyer Milloy's wife might have gotten her feelings hurt when the Pats released him, but that does not mean it was a personal insult from the Pats.

I understand that the Patriots have been more successful than the Bengals, but you can't rip the Bengals for doing the same type of thing the Pats do.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You still don't get it.

The Bengals plan of action was the same as the Patriots.  It did not work in execution, but you can't say that makes it a personal insult.  Lawyer Milloy's wife might have gotten her feelings hurt when the Pats released him, but that does not mean it was a personal insult from the Pats.

I understand that the Patriots have been more successful than the Bengals, but you can't rip the Bengals for doing the same type of thing the Pats do.

While no one does it right all the time, the Pats seem to know when to release someone and when not to.   Whit was at the top of his game and was showing no signs of a decline.  Just because the Pats let aging or declining players go doesn't mean the Bengals have made the right move when they do the same thing.  It's about the right timing and good judgment.  And they seem to be better prepared to replace the players they are letting when they release their veterans.   The Bengals in the case of Whit and Hart have shown poor judgment.

And the Pats don't make comments designed only to defend their decisions (as far as I can tell, though I don't read the local press).  They just say all the positives about the player they can, wish them well and move on.  Troy Blackburn has not only been part of poor decisions, he has handled the backlash with defensive, classless comments.

I was excited about the prospects of a new generation of the Brown family coming down the road.   But in my mind Mike Brown has much more class than Troy Blackburn.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:52 PM)3wt Wrote: And the Pats don't make comments designed only to defend their decisions (as far as I can tell, though I don't read the local press).  They just say all the positives about the player they can, wish them well and move on.  Troy Blackburn has not only been part of poor decisions, he has handled the backlash with defensive, classless comments.

Troy said exactly the same thing that many teams say to their aging players.  If that was classless then so is the rest of the league.

The fact that Whit's wife took it as "personal" doesn't change a thing.  She (and some fans here) did not get it but Andrew did.  It was just a business decision like every other team in the league often makes.  That is why Whit said he still loves the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Irony is that the Bengals did him a huge favor and he ended up in the Super Bowl.
Doesn’t matter how anyone felt now - Whit showed them he was worth it and the Bengals end up looking stupid as usual
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why in the world would he after the disrespect we showed him? Remember that tweet from Troy Blackburn to Whit’s agent?

I've always felt they tried to strong arm Whit, they thought they had him over a barrel. They, or at least MB probably thought Whit would be "loyal" and stay at a reduced price.

It backfired on them.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:57 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I have some sympathy for the Bengals' Front Office on Whit.

We'll see it on Green as well. If we pay him fans will moan that we've overpaid for someone who is an aging, injury prone player. If we let him walk many of those same fans will moan that we've let a Hall of Fame caliber player go.

Why didn't the Bengals consider a franchise tag on Whitworth?

Offensive Line franchise tag was set to $14.271 mill. Whitworth signed a 3 year, $33 mill deal with LAR.
That gives indication that the Bengals did not want to spend $14 mill on him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:52 PM)3wt Wrote: While no one does it right all the time, the Pats seem to know when to release someone and when not to.   Whit was at the top of his game and was showing no signs of a decline.  Just because the Pats let aging or declining players go doesn't mean the Bengals have made the right move when they do the same thing.  It's about the right timing and good judgment.  And they seem to be better prepared to replace the players they are letting when they release their veterans.   The Bengals in the case of Whit and Hart have shown poor judgment.

And the Pats don't make comments designed only to defend their decisions (as far as I can tell, though I don't read the local press).  They just say all the positives about the player they can, wish them well and move on.  Troy Blackburn has not only been part of poor decisions, he has handled the backlash with defensive, classless comments.

I was excited about the prospects of a new generation of the Brown family coming down the road.   But in my mind Mike Brown has much more class than Troy Blackburn.

There's a BINGO
Reply/Quote
So what are you all going to say this off season if the Bengals tell Green they are not going to pay him as much as some other teams and his wife feels personally insulted?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 11:17 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Any Bengals fan that boo’s Whit should be ashamed. He was a great player who I felt was underrated most of his career and was a great person who you want on your team. Personally he was one of my favorite Bengals players. I still remember the Oakland game where Dalton was hit late and Whit got into a fight with the Oakland player and was ejected. After the game he stated “ I took an oath to protect two people my wife and my quarterback “. I also remember the Jaguars game where he got into a fight with big John Henderson and got ejected. As he was leaving the field he raised his hands for the crowd  to get pumped up we were 0-8 at the time and ended up winning the game.

I was at that Jags game.....that was awesome.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:52 PM)3wt Wrote: While no one does it right all the time, the Pats seem to know when to release someone and when not to.   Whit was at the top of his game and was showing no signs of a decline.  Just because the Pats let aging or declining players go doesn't mean the Bengals have made the right move when they do the same thing.  It's about the right timing and good judgment.  And they seem to be better prepared to replace the players they are letting when they release their veterans.   The Bengals in the case of Whit and Hart have shown poor judgment.

Spot on. Great post.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 06:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: I was at that Jags game.....that was awesome.

Andrew has "coach" written all over him.

I remember when he was drafted the coaches raved about his interviews at the combine and how he was able to break down blocking schemes and defensive adjustments on the white board.

While he was here he was a natural leader.  He would get the entire O-line together socially to form bonds.

He has the work ethic and discipline to keep his body in top shape.  He looks LEAN at 6'7" 330.

He is composed and  very well spoken, but he also showed the fire inside him at that Jags game.

So if he really does still love the Bengals maybe he will return someday as a coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While all of this is true, it wasn't as though the front office didn't prepare for their departure.  They drafted OTs with their first TWO draft picks and a year later they drafted Boyd.  However, the two massive whiffs on the OT position have set this team back tremendously and wasted the prime years of some of their key players.  It was those picks that really hurt this team, not just the departure of our players.
Tiger Not that I'm an Obueghi fan, because I'm not. But one of our 2 massive whiffs (Obueghi) played Left Tackle for the Jags on Sunday and I don't recall seeing Minshew II getting much if any pressure from his blind side.

Just sayin'...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Britts are going to see a beat down this weekend. Whitworth will have a good game. The Bengals will not.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:17 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger Not that I'm an Obueghi fan, because I'm not. But one of our 2 massive whiffs (Obueghi) played Left Tackle for the Jags on Sunday and I don't recall seeing Minshew II getting much if any pressure from his blind side.

Just sayin'...

Sounds like it says more about Sam Hubbard than Ogbuehi. 

Hubbard seems like a guy who is just good enough to start, just good enough that you hope the light will click on, but will never be real good. Michael Johnson-esq, but worse against the run. Or like a Carlos Dunlap who is just slightly worse in all aspects.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 03:12 AM)kevin Wrote: It works out good for Whitworth that game is in London.  On going to Rams he said he was glad Rams didn't play Bengals for 3 years.  He didn't want to play against Bengals in Cincinnati.   With game in London, he still doesn't and probably never will.  It must be noted Rams were awful before Whitworth became their Left Tackle.  I'm sure ex Rams OC Taylor misses having Left Tackle Whitworth as Bengals have since Mike Brown let players like Marvin Jones, Sanu, Zeitler and Whitworth go in 12 month span after 2015 season.  Marvin Jones scored 3 touchdowns Sunday but who needs him.  Meanwhile Rams with Whitworth will clobber Bengals in London, but Whitworth doesn't have to do it in Cincinnati as he had hoped.  Without Whitworth the Rams NEVER go Super Bowl last year.  Getting a Left Tackle like Whitworth turned around losing Rams.  Whitworth was good,  Bengals haven't had a Left Tackle since.

I love Whit but hes looked like hes every bit of 38 this year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
What about those who paid good $$$$ to go see the team lose, in London. Hope they can claim it as a "loss" in their taxes. Hehe
Reply/Quote
If this game was not in London it would have been in LA. The Rams won’t play in Cincinnati until 2023.
Reply/Quote