Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Ravens and "statement games"
In 2004 the Ravens were the defending Division champions and the Bengals were a team that had not had a winning record in over a decade.

In week 14 the 7-4 Ravens were at home against the 5-6 Bengals and had 20-3 lead to begin the 4th quarter.

From that point on Carson Palmer, the last Bengal QB taken #1 overall, in just his first year as a starter, took over.  He completed 10 of 12 passes for 200 yards and 3 tds as he lead the Bengals to 4 straight scoring drives and a victory on a last second FG. His only two incompletions were spikes to stop the clock.

Carson finished with a career high 382 yards. And that '04 Ravens defense allowed the fewest td passes in the league. In their other 15 games they only allowed 11 tds passes.  Many people consider that to be Palmer's "statement" game.  He looked like a star and the 6-6 Bengals were in the playoff hunt late in the season.  

If you watched it you will remember.  The feeling was similar to today.  All the "hope" and "potential" turned into an actual big game victory.
Reply/Quote
Evidently we're confused about this being a "statement game."  Check out the NFL's story about "Week 7: What we learned from Sunday's games."  Nothing on the Bengals, absolutely nothing.  Hilarious

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-7-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

Correction: They've since added an appropriate entry.
Reply/Quote
Something just feels different about this team, better different that is. No matter the outcome of this season I'm beginning to believe we're building something here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 07:30 PM)Roland Wrote: Evidently we're confused about this being a "statement game."  Check out the NFL's story about "Week 7: What we learned from Sunday's games."  Nothing on the Bengals, absolutely nothing.  Hilarious

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-7-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

I see several paragraphs written about the game and the Bengals:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-7-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games#Bengals

Including point #3 where they say,  "The Bengals made a resounding statement with this victory."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2004 the Ravens were the defending Division champions and the Bengals were a team that had not had a winning record in over a decade.

In week 14 the 7-4 Ravens were at home against the 5-6 Bengals and had 20-3 lead to begin the 4th quarter.

From that point on Carson Palmer, the last Bengal QB taken #1 overall, in just his first year as a starter, took over.  He completed 10 of 12 passes for 200 yards and 3 tds as he lead the Bengals to 4 straight scoring drives and a victory on a last second FG. His only two incompletions were spikes to stop the clock.

Carson finished with a career high 382 yards. And that '04 Ravens defense allowed the fewest td passes in the league. In their other 15 games they only allowed 11 tds passes.  Many people consider that to be Palmer's "statement" game.  He looked like a star and the 6-6 Bengals were in the playoff hunt late in the season.  

If you watched it you will remember.  The feeling was similar to today.  All the "hope" and "potential" turned into an actual big game victory.

I remember it well and today feels just as good. I’m still riding a high from the win today.
Reply/Quote
Are we a blip on the radar yet, or are we still relegated to 1pm game times?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 07:36 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I see several paragraphs written about the game and the Bengals:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-7-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games#Bengals

Including point #3 where they say,  "The Bengals made a resounding statement with this victory."

That was just added.  I scoured that link and even did a text search for Bengals in it before I posted.  Better late than never, I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 07:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Something just feels different about this team, better different that is. No matter the outcome of this season I'm beginning to believe we're building something here.

I agree with you buddy.  I have no doubt Taylor has a good relationship with the team, and they have assembled a very competitive team.  But I still think some of his play calling is...off.  

But apparently people are okay with Zac Taylor now.  So I guess we'll see.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Today was a great win no doubt. Now let’s go into New Jersey and destroy the Jets by fifty points like we should.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 07:40 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Are we a blip on the radar yet, or are we still relegated to 1pm game times?

**** it. Keep us at 1pm. It's working.
Reply/Quote
I remember that game. I want to say Palmer got hurt at the end of this one and Kitna had to finish out the season.

That said, I think it's a poor comparison. This team has championship potential. That one was just happy to not suck anymore.

Edit: Plus, like Tony said below, this was a blowout...not a miracle comeback, winning by the skin of their teeth.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2004 the Ravens were the defending Division champions and the Bengals were a team that had not had a winning record in over a decade.

This game was way different.. They didn't have to have no close come from behind victory. They literally ***** smacked the **** out of the Ratbirds..Way more confidence this time around..
Reply/Quote
This was a statement game and I just can't say it is only Burrow's, it was Taylor's, Chase's, Lou's and the Defense's.

It was something else. This could be our team we have been waiting for. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 07:40 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Are we a blip on the radar yet, or are we still relegated to 1pm game times?

Who cares when we play....and I hope the rest of the league keeps ignoring us.  That will just piss the guys off.
Reply/Quote

Scrap Seattle/SF in favor of Chargers/Bengals 12/5, maybe?  The Boxing Day rematch 12/26 with the Ratbirds would make for good primetime tv, but I can't see them bumping the Cowboys unless we're both 10-4 or something.  Week 17 we play KC, but that means bumping the Packers, and who know what KC will be like by that time.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Bengals beat 8-0 Chiefs before right?
Reply/Quote