Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
On The Play That Hill Fumbled......
(04-09-2016, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If you looked at Gio and Hill standing next to each other last year, it seems to me that Gio was in much better shape and was much more defined. I think Hill may have come into the league and had huge success, and let that go to his head and maybe slacked off in the weight room. Hopefully, last year opened his eyes. Marvin saying he would have run Gio instead of Hill had Gio been available should send a clear message to Jeremy.

I believe Hill was quoted as saying that he did the same as he always had for his lower body last offseason, as there was no need to change it.  He did say he was changing his upper body regimen, because guys were harder to stiff arm off of you in the NFL as compared to college, so he wanted to improve his upper body strength.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 11:20 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Gio fumbled away the playoff game against SD. Lets not act like he is innocent either!

Hopefully both guys work together to be even better in the future.

gio has fumbled 2 times in 3 years.  one of those was from a helmet to ball connection if i remember correctly.  Hill fumbled 10 times over 2 years ?  

Hill is garbage.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 11:32 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Actually I would take a healthy Gio 100% of the time in that situation.  Gio has ZERO career fumbles on 328 carries.  (I do recall at least 2 fumbles, but he was a receiver each time)

No you would not. Gio is used to get big chunk yardage. In return, hes going to have alot of -1 -2 or 0 yard runs. Hill is a back that is designed to go up the middle for 3 or so yards. If they put gio back there, it would of been one of those moments where we all were scratching our heads saying "why cant we utilize theSe 2 backs correctly?"
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 11:20 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Gio fumbled away the playoff game against SD. Lets not act like he is innocent either!

Hopefully both guys work together to be even better in the future.

Quote: (I do recall at least 2 fumbles, but he was a receiver each time)... I wouldn't say that I was acting like he was "innocent" as you put it, or I wouldn't have included that statement.  I was trying to be objective.  The fumble by Gio in the SD game was again, on a reception, not a carry.

I do agree that hopefully they both continue to get even better.  
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 02:30 PM)Gohards Wrote: No you would not. Gio is used to get big chunk yardage. In return, hes going to have alot of -1 -2 or 0 yard runs. Hill is a back that is designed to go up the middle for 3 or so yards. If they put gio back there, it would of been one of those moments where we all were scratching our heads saying "why cant we utilize theSe 2 backs correctly?"

Of course I would.  I wouldn't let the size of the running back dictate who got the ball.  It would go to the player who will most likely NOT fumble the ball.  Furthermore Gio is a pretty effective runner between the tackles.  Gio is 5'9" 208.  Emmitt Smith was 5'9 210.  Gio is not just some one trick pony scat back.  No one would to suggest that Gio should pound the rock between the tackles 20 carries a game. That would be absurd. But to suggest Gio shouldn't get the ball late in the game simply because Jeremy Hill is a bigger back is equally absurd. The ball should be in the hands of the player that is most likely to hold onto it.  In this case that player is clearly Gio, as the numbers prove.
Reply/Quote
Right, we really didn't need a first down, just run the ball 3 times, eat the clock, and punt.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 10:58 PM)Shepdawg Wrote:  The ball should be in the hands of the player that is most likely to hold onto it.  In this case that player is clearly Gio, as the numbers prove.

You mena the same Gio who had fumbled away the ball setting up a Steeler score the last time he carried the ball?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mena the same Gio who had fumbled away the ball setting up a Steeler score the last time he carried the ball?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mena the same Gio who had fumbled away the ball setting up a Steeler score the last time he carried the ball?

Are you being serious right now? Shocked That spear would have caused "insert the greatest running back of all time here _________________" to fumble the ball.  Gio was knocked out cold and as we have been witness to, Gio can take some pretty nasty hits without fumbling the ball.

Reply/Quote

Yes Fred, the very same Gio.  Which other Gio could you possibly think I was referring to?  You know the very same Gio that has ZERO fumbles on 328 carries since Hill has joined the league.  Hill has 8 fumbles on 457 carries.  Only 5 running backs in the entire league have a fumbling rate higher than Jeremy Hill, since he's joined the NFL.  

Give me one single reason that Jeremy Hill should get the ball in that situation over a healthy Gio Bernard.  
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 08:03 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Give me one single reason that Jeremy Hill should get the ball in that situation over a healthy Gio Bernard.  

A healthy Gio gets the carry.

But since you asked...Gio had 2 fumbles in his last 3 playoff games.  Butterfingers in the post season.
Reply/Quote
We should have just taken a knee and surrendered to the Steelers. What were we thinking trying to run the ball with our running back? Damn that Hue and his cutesy plays! DAMN HIM!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 12:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, we really didn't need a first down, just run the ball 3 times, eat the clock, and punt.
We were in field goal range.

Could have kneeled it three times, kicked a field goal, and make them go the length of the field for a score with no timeouts.
(04-10-2016, 09:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We should have just taken a knee and surrendered to the Steelers.  What were we thinking trying to run the ball with our running back?  Damn that Hue and his cutesy plays!  DAMN HIM!!!!

Like I said above, it seems extreme, but, if you weren't going to have a more sure-handed back carry it, is it really that extreme?!
Reply/Quote
I guess Marvin had brought up a new idea at the rules committee meeting for review. They called it the Hill rule, but he fumbled the delivery so much that it didn't make it to vote.

Here's a picture of the concept.

[Image: HM_UVA_web.JPG]

True story.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
Let's move on..

Goodness.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2016, 07:34 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Let's move on..

Goodness.

Can we even go a month without someone bringing up Carson's knee?  And that was a decade ago.  Good luck with moving on from this.

I'm still not over Greg Cook getting injured, and I was 2 when it happened  Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2016, 09:16 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Can we even go a month without someone bringing up Carson's knee?  And that was a decade ago.  Good luck with moving on from this.

I'm still not over Greg Cook getting injured, and I was 2 when it happened  Sad

I wasn't even born and I'm still not over it! Where's my 4 Super Bowls from before I was born that I get to brag about for some reason  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2016, 09:38 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I wasn't even born and I'm still not over it! Where's my 4 Super Bowls from before I was born that I get to brag about for some reason  Ninja

You're not a Pittsburgh fan... "Bradshaw is the greatest ever, the 70's ROCKED"!  "Wait, weren't you born in 1980"??? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
If a team has doubts regarding giving a running back the ball during the playoffs then that player shouldn't be on the roster. The fact the team trusts Gio over Hill to carry during crunch time speaks volumes.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote