Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On a Scale of 1-10 How Confident Are You?
I'm at a 1.
51 years old.
I THOUGHT last year was it, but it was not to be.
Like someone said... winning the SB is DIFFICULT, so many things have to go perfectly.
Reply/Quote
5 One game we look like champions, the next chumps, our record backs this up too. We lack the fire from last year and our D is decimated, which got us into the playoffs and beyond.
Reply/Quote
I'm actually posting on my phone after waking up in a strange basement and I'm chained to a bomb that is scheduled to go off the second the Bengals win the super bowl, so I'll still say a 10.  Burrow is just too good for me to get out of this one alive...but I'll enjoy it for a second or two.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure how confident I am.  Burrow could win the thing, but it might be hard to put together a championship team around him when he and Chase are taking up over 90 million of the cap every year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 04:30 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I thought the same thing with Jeff Blake!   Tongue

and this is Jeff Blake now [Image: Jeff-Blake.png]

He looks like he could play God in a movie that can't afford Morgan Freeman.  

Back on topic...

Back on the mothership there was a poll that asked: would you rather have one assured Superbowl victory or leave it chance and see how many SBs Carson, Chad et al could win.  The overwhelming majority chose the latter.  So, the approach on these questions isn't always so realistic.  

There were seven seasons between the first and second SB appearance and 33 years between the second and third.  It's difficult to even reach a Super Bowl and even more difficult to win one.  Joe's a competitor and if he could will this team to a trophy I believe he'd do it.  But that's not how it works.  It's a team sport, and with injury, free agency and retirements (increasingly at younger ages), the players here now may not be here a few years down the road.  Maybe this nucleus will win one in the next season or two.  Or maybe in ten or fifteen years that group of future Bengals will pull it off.  Or maybe none of them will.  

If you asked me this in 1989 when I was in my 20s, I would have said it was an eight or nine.  Today, in my mid-but-soon-to-be-late 50s, it feels more like about a three.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I have no idea when I'm going to die
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not sure how long a live, but think Burrow will get one at least. Albeit they're never a given..

If he does not win one, then believe as long as Katie Blackburn keeps wheeling and dealing a Lombardy is inevitable eventually imho.

She seems "all in" to me and that's a refreshing change from the Bengals approach in the many decades I've followed them.

Voting 9 because SB wins can never be a certainty.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Ummm I guess normally I would say a 5? Seems fair enough. I'll just leave it at that. Yeah
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 05:59 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: 0. They are 0-3 and simply cannot win the big games when the world is watching. Sure, they can win some Sunday 1PM and 4PM games but they choke when the bright lights are on them. They have proved it many times with different players and coaches over the decades. Burrow may win a SB but I doubt it's here with Cincy.

Did you....uh....miss the playoffs last year?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 06:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would say a 6 or 7. Burrow is the exact type of QB who can win a Super Bowl, but winning a Super Bowl is really, really hard. I believe that he will do it, but I wouldn't put money on it or anything.

Same.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 12:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: Did you....uh....miss the playoffs last year?

The big playoff in LA you mean? The one that really counted? Yea I watched it and they failed again as they usually do when the brightest lights are on. If you mean KC and Tenn games yea, I'll give you that but it took them how many decades for those 2 wins. Those 2 wins don't make up for dozens of prime time losses on the way to possible playoff opportunities. 

Not counting those 2 games last year the Bengals over 50 years simply refuse to win the biggest games they are in. Close but no cigar or rings I should say.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 04:20 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you that the Cincinnati Bengals will be Super Bowl Champs before you die?

I use to think this was a sure thing but as the years go by I am now in the realm of maybe not.  So I am at a 5.

Oh I thought this was a season thing. Well we got there once when we really shouldn't have. Hopefully more experience amongst everyone will improve things so I am at a 9.

Dan Marino got his team to the Super Bowl and never returned. I am still hoping Joe Burrow decides to not need to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and decides to spread that wealth around to the team so we can have a strong all around team. If he takes the money and we are stuck cutting other positions I wouldn't be surprised if we are just a playoff only contender the rest of his career as opposed to a consistent Super Bowl contender.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 04:20 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you that the Cincinnati Bengals will be Super Bowl Champs before you die?

I use to think this was a sure thing but as the years go by I am now in the realm of maybe not.  So I am at a 5.

Not Confident SBs take a whole lot to get to and win.

but i am at least happy i got to see a playoff win in my lifetime.

Im Confident in JB but he cant do it alone. And the coaching around him is horrible
Reply/Quote
No poll?

I'm at maybe a 7. I'd be more confident if I were more confident in the coaching on offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 10:21 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Oh I thought this was a season thing. Well we got there once when we really shouldn't have. Hopefully more experience amongst everyone will improve things so I am at a 9.

Dan Marino got his team to the Super Bowl and never returned. I am still hoping Joe Burrow decides to not need to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and decides to spread that wealth around to the team so we can have a strong all around team. If he takes the money and we are stuck cutting other positions I wouldn't be surprised if we are just a playoff only contender the rest of his career as opposed to a consistent Super Bowl contender.

[Image: aaron-rodgers-packers-getty.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: 5 One game we look like champions, the next chumps, our record backs this up too. We lack the fire from last year and our D is decimated, which got us into the playoffs and beyond.

If we could only play 4 teams with depleted secondaries and poor pass rushes in the playoffs!
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 08:03 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: He looks like he could play God in a movie that can't afford Morgan Freeman.  

Back on topic...

Back on the mothership there was a poll that asked: would you rather have one assured Superbowl victory or leave it chance and see how many SBs Carson, Chad et al could win.  The overwhelming majority chose the latter.  So, the approach on these questions isn't always so realistic.  

There were seven seasons between the first and second SB appearance and 33 years between the second and third.  It's difficult to even reach a Super Bowl and even more difficult to win one.  Joe's a competitor and if he could will this team to a trophy I believe he'd do it.  But that's not how it works.  It's a team sport, and with injury, free agency and retirements (increasingly at younger ages), the players here now may not be here a few years down the road.  Maybe this nucleus will win one in the next season or two.  Or maybe in ten or fifteen years that group of future Bengals will pull it off.  Or maybe none of them will.  

If you asked me this in 1989 when I was in my 20s, I would have said it was an eight or nine.  Today, in my mid-but-soon-to-be-late 50s, it feels more like about a three.  

Yes. Another factor is that Joe Burrow gets hit A LOT. Like A LOT. Odds of an injury are elevated. And it could shorten his career and productivity.
Reply/Quote
The AFC is loaded with young QB's. I know we see Burrow and are like Wow - He's awesome! Sure SB's!!! And it's GREAT to have him.

But, the Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Ravens, Browns, etc all say the same things. Heck - Delusional Steelers fans think Pickett is the next Burrow. And Tua is starting to look like a good QB.

Being an elite QB in the NFC seems to be a better path than the bloodbath the AFC is.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 01:07 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: [Image: aaron-rodgers-packers-getty.jpg]

I am curious how they would be doing if they had kept Adams. Rodgers has a ring and 2 appearances so I can understand taking the money on his end I reckon. Although I’m sure he’d love to win another.
Reply/Quote
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote

This franchise had their best chance last year.
Reply/Quote