Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"On my Watch" Guys
Each year around this time I pick a player from a couple of positions of need and make it a point to watch them. I don't pick the elite prospects but a player who I seen and like what I saw; be it play, attitude, or raw talent. As the year progresses I provide updates and draft value. Feel free to comment on mine or provide your own.

QB- Joe Burrow: I mentioned him in one of the QB threads about 3 weeks ago as I heard Pat Kirwan rave about him and he's already increased his stock. Walters doesn't have him going in the first 2 rounds of their most current draft, so using that he's available for our 3rd. Tonight should go a long way in raising or lowering his stock

ILB-Erroll Thompson: Watched him play my Cats a couple years ago and he's a big ILB that can cover ground. Character is high as he is one of the 2 Team Captions for MSU and he's just a Junior. Walter currently has him rated as their 5th best ILB and current draft stock is our 3rd.

OL-Calvin Throckmorten: Dude started a every oline position in 2018. Some of your better olinemen are known for their intelligence and this dude has a degree in Human Physiology and currently carries a 3.84 GPA in Medical School. Walter currently has him at their 6th ranked interior olineman and 16th ranked OT carrying a draft stock of early 4th.

WR- Chase Claypool: Think Auden Tate who can run and catch. Chase is currently Walters 15 ranked WR carrying a 3rd rd grade. Here's a story that speaks to the kid's heart https://strongofheart.nd.edu/profiles/chase-claypool-2017/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2019, 03:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Each year around this time I pick a player from a couple of positions of need and make it a point to watch them. I don't pick the elite prospects but a player who I seen and like what I saw; be it play, attitude, or raw talent. As the year progresses I provide updates and draft value. Feel free to comment on mine or provide your own.

QB- Joe Burrow: I mentioned him in one of the QB threads about 3 weeks ago as I heard Pat Kirwan rave about him and he's already increased his stock. Walters doesn't have him going in the first 2 rounds of their most current draft, so using that he's available for our 3rd. Tonight should go a long way in raising or lowering his stock

ILB-Erroll Thompson: Watched him play my Cats a couple years ago and he's a big ILB that can cover ground. Character is high as he is one of the 2 Team Captions for MSU and he's just a Junior. Walter currently has him rated as their 5th best ILB and current draft stock is our 3rd.

OL-Calvin Throckmorten: Dude started a every oline position in 2018. Some of your better olinemen are known for their intelligence and this dude has a degree in Human Physiology and currently carries a 3.84 GPA in Medical School. Walter currently has him at their 6th ranked interior olineman and 16th ranked OT carrying a draft stock of early 4th.

WR- Chase Claypool: Think Auden Tate who can run and catch. Chase is currently Walters 15 ranked WR carrying a 3rd rd grade. Here's a story that speaks to the kid's heart https://strongofheart.nd.edu/profiles/chase-claypool-2017/

How about Ben Bredeson from Michigan?  He is looked at as more of a technician, but is strong at the point of attack.  Could probably get stronger, but his technique can make up for the strength disparity.
Reply/Quote
I was listening to the ESPN radio guys, on the way into town this morning. They were declaring Joe Burrow the most improved player thus far in major college football. They were also talking about how most of the prospect raters had him in the late 2nd to 3rd round grade range, and went on to say that with a good showing versus the Florida defense tonight, it could solidify him as a 1st round talent.

The biggest statistical observations about Burrow are that he's the top rated QB in the nation when throwing under pressure, and he's #2 in passes more than 10 yards past the LOS.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This wide receiver for Oklahoma Ceedee Lamb is a beast.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2019, 03:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was listening to the ESPN radio guys, on the way into town this morning.  They were declaring Joe Burrow the most improved player thus far in major college football.  They were also talking about how most of the prospect raters had him in the late 2nd to 3rd round grade range, and went on to say that with a good showing versus the Florida defense tonight, it could solidify him as a 1st round talent.

The biggest statistical observations about Burrow are that he's the top rated QB in the nation when throwing under pressure, and he's #2 in passes more than 10 yards past the LOS.

Throwing under pressure.

Sounds familiar.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Burrow ends up a top 10 pick barring injury, never trust Walter for anything. I had reservations going into Florida, but even with that in this class he was at worst a late 1st knowing a team like NO could be lurking late for the future.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Burrow was tremendous from the pocket and impressive evading pressure. He had a few throws where he effectively climbed the pocket and delivered a strike downfield and he was consistently able to extend plays when things broke down.

Burrow was consistently on target. He was able to place it into tight windows when necessary in the short and intermediate passing games.

Burrow displayed NFL-caliber ball placement on a few deep balls and he’s erasing any questions remaining about his arm talent.

Burrow displays the intangible leadership qualities necessary for success at the next level.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/10/13/2020-nfl-draft-joe-burrow-stands-out-in-win-over-florida/
Reply/Quote
Burrow is playing his way into the early 2nd, possibly 1st round when all is said and done.
A lot of eyes will be on him when he plays Auburn and Bama.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
2 on the watchlist on in the SEC and both made PFF's SEC team of the week:
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-week-7-sec-team-of-the-week

Quote:QUARTERBACK
Joe Burrow, LSU
Our highest-graded quarterback is no ordinary Joe.  Not just the SEC quarterback of the week, Burrow again found himself on our national team of the week.  In addition to his stellar passing numbers (87.5% adjusted completion rate and 157.1 passer rating), Burrow picked up 40 yards on five scrambles, with 18 of those yards coming after contact.

Quote:LINEBACKER
Erroll Thompson, Mississippi State
Thompson was the Bulldogs’ highest-graded defender and put forth an outstanding effort in a loss. He finished the game with an elite run-defense grade, collecting seven stops and missing only one tackle in 13 attempts.

One was in the PAC 12 and guess what?

Quote:OFFENSIVE TACKLE
Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon
Throckmorton was an anchor on the offensive line full of anchors, allowing just one pressure on 36 pass-blocking snaps. He was also stout in the run game, finishing the contest with the second-best run-blocking grade in the conference, just behind Sewell.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow is playing his way into the early 2nd, possibly 1st round when all is said and done.
A lot of eyes will be on him when he plays Auburn and Bama.

Yeah, we'd be lucky to get him with our 2nd at this point. Luckily Herbert had a good game too and remains ranked ahead of him; as does Tua. Unfortunately Jake Fromm had a mediocre game. Right now I have Burrow ranked neck and neck with Jacob Eason as the 3-4 ranked QB and that makes a difference as you can expect the top 3 QBs to go in RD 1.  

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, we'd be lucky to get him with our 2nd at this point. Luckily Herbert had a good game too and remains ranked ahead of him; as does Tua. Unfortunately Jake Fromm had a mediocre game. Right now I have Burrow ranked neck and neck with Jacob Eason as the 3-4 ranked QB and that makes a difference as you can expect the top 3 QBs to go in RD 1.  

Agreed. I think 3-5 QBs go in Rd 1.
Tua and Herbert will go Top 5 methinks.
If they continue as they are right now, I see Burrow and Eason going ahead of Fromm. 
Fromm might return to Georgia and enter the 2021 draft.
When does someone take a chance on Jalen Hurts? I'm thinking Rd 3.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 2 on the watchlist on in the SEC and both made PFF's SEC team of the week:
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-week-7-sec-team-of-the-week

One was in the PAC 12 and guess what?

I have a hard time trusting PAC 12 OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, we'd be lucky to get him with our 2nd at this point. Luckily Herbert had a good game too and remains ranked ahead of him; as does Tua. Unfortunately Jake Fromm had a mediocre game. Right now I have Burrow ranked neck and neck with Jacob Eason as the 3-4 ranked QB and that makes a difference as you can expect the top 3 QBs to go in RD 1.  

I honestly think I'd take Burrow over Herbert - ranking be damned.  Herbert has stronger upside, but Burrow seems the more polished prospect right now.  
Reply/Quote
Another SEC/Alabama guy that is having a great year is the Left Tackle Alex Leatherwood.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
A team who takes Herbert is a team who will be drafting another QB in the next 5 years. When it's all said and done I think the QB's go Tua/Burrow/Fromm/Herbert.
Reply/Quote
All of you OSU fans clue me in on how well Browning is playing. I haven't watched OSU this year and very little Big10 but I've heard Browning is really breaking out.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 02:16 PM)Synric Wrote: All of you OSU fans clue me in on how well Browning is playing. I haven't watched OSU this year and very little Big10 but I've heard Browning is really breaking out.

He's really broke out this year. I'd say the move to play more zone has worked in his favor because he has done a really good job reading and reacting to the QB eyes and making plays. He is showing what made him a 5 star recruit when he was recruited finally. I'm not sure I see 1st round talent yet but he still has time to show that as the year continues. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a Bush type rise like we saw late last year because he looks on the field like a physical freak.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 08:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: Burrow ends up a top 10 pick barring injury, never trust Walter for anything. I had reservations going into Florida, but even with that in this class he was at worst a late 1st knowing a team like NO could be lurking late for the future.

I like to check Walter for a good laugh every now and then. 

PFF had Burrow graded #1 before this past weekend. (for what that's worth to some...)

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 08:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: Burrow ends up a top 10 pick barring injury, never trust Walter for anything. I had reservations going into Florida, but even with that in this class he was at worst a late 1st knowing a team like NO could be lurking late for the future.

Perhaps, but every draft site I've seen (Walters Drafttek, Draftsite) has him not higher that the 4th QB. Folks always say don't trust these sites, but by and large they get it pretty good. 

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps, but every draft site I've seen (Walters Drafttek, Draftsite) has him not higher that the 4th QB. Folks always say don't trust these sites, but by and large they get it pretty good. 

Not really, especially this early. For instance we can go back to Walter Football last year at this very this same week and see... 
  • 1st QB was Herbert (didn't declare). 
  • 2nd QB was Locke at 19 (drafted  42nd)
  • 3rd QB was Grier at 54 (drafted 100)
  • 4th QB was Finley at 58 (drafted 104)
  • 5th QB Clayton Thorson at 60 (drafted 167)
I could keep going but the reality is right now they just say a lot of random crap no one ever calls them on but they are usually way off. Not they are missing Murray/Haskins/Jones on the list completely. That is just QB's too, if you go look at other positions it's pretty comical as well. I'll come back around and say, Burrow will be top 10 when it's all said and done. I called Daniel Jones in the 1st back in early December (it's in my post history), albeit a mid round choice to the Raiders, but Walter didn't even have him going in the first 3 rounds at that point. People who actually do scouting professionally, not me but people I know, think Walterfootball is a clown. 

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a long tangent but I have this hatred for that guy and that site specifically that is long running. 
Reply/Quote