Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
On pace for over 50 sacks again
(10-25-2022, 11:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You keep pumping hard negatives against this oline...

As mentioned above; over the last 5 games, the Bengals offensive line has been charged with 8 total sacks - that's 1.6 sacks per game.  They are improving.

BTW, that terrible oline is:
2nd in the league in total yards at 2,120
3rd in the league in yards per game at 302.9
3rd in the league in touchdowns.

I didn't know the O-line gained yards or scored touchdowns.

Jokes aside, your offense can still rack up yards and points despite bad o-line play, obviously; but that isn't the concern for the people who pointed out the sacks. The concern is whether this productivity can be sustained with a QB getting hit as much as Burrow. It's a valid concern.
Reply/Quote
I mentioned in a previous thread after the Falcons game that I didn't know how I felt about the Falcons--who ranked the worst in sacks prior to the game--sacking Burrow as much as they did. Wasn't sure if it could be chalked up to Burrow just chuking the ball as much as he did so they had more shots to get him then they did past opponents.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 11:51 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I didn't know the O-line gained yards or scored touchdowns.

Jokes aside, your offense can still rack up yards and points despite bad o-line play, obviously; but that isn't the concern for the people who pointed out the sacks. The concern is whether this productivity can be sustained with a QB getting hit as much as Burrow. It's a valid concern.

Well, informed fans can see the OBVIOUS regression in sacks by the oline from week one to week 2 ........ Mixon has issues blocking and many of the sacks are on Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 11:55 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I mentioned in a previous thread after the Falcons game that I didn't know how I felt about the Falcons--who ranked the worst in sacks prior to the game--sacking Burrow as much as they did. Wasn't sure if it could be chalked up to Burrow just chuking the ball as much as he did so they had more shots to get him then they did past opponents.

So you dont know why the Falcons had those sacks?

1.  Blitz against empty set, too many to block.
2.  Center screwed up and hiked the ball too early and DE got the jump.
3.  Grady Jarrett being Grady Jarrett

Basically beat one time by an excellent defender out of 42 passing attempts.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 01:12 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Well, informed fans can see the OBVIOUS regression in sacks by the oline from week one to week 2 ........ Mixon has issues blocking and many of the sacks are on Burrow.

Watt and Parsons had a lot to do with that.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 04:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We are doing better since first two games but last two games had 3 sacks each still, still lead the league with 24 with 10 games left if  average  2 1/2 sacks a game Joe will be sacked for over 50 for past two years...

Tiger

I love trench talk!
The one thing that I'll tell you is that I thought that it would take this line until week four to establish some continuity. So give or take a game or two the unit is where it should be...( Pass Blocking). I'll take it. I will never believe that this team can reach its potential to move forward without a true running game established by mid November. I'm talking December & January run blocking. Does anyone think that we can still obtain home field advantage throughout the playoffs? I do.
Look at the home games down the line. Take care of Bengal business and the finish could be epic! I almost forgot to mention that we can only drop one or two the rest of the way.. We can do it with this roster but I would like to see Duke make a move before the trade deadline. We need help on both lines so send late picks!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 09:20 PM)Emeritus Wrote: We can do it with this roster but I would like to see Duke make a move before the trade deadline. We need help on both lines so send late picks!

Yeah, let’s throw someone brand new onto a unit that needs cohesiveness more than any other position group. In the middle of the season when they’re finally starting to gel. Seems logical. Ninja

Not to mention you aren’t getting anyone better than what we currently have for “late picks.” You would basically get a guy like Max Scharping, who we - you know…already have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 09:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, let’s throw someone brand new onto a unit that needs cohesiveness more than any other position group. In the middle of the season when they’re finally starting to gel. Seems logical. Ninja

Not to mention you aren’t getting anyone better than what we currently have for “late picks.” You would basically get a guy like Max Scharping, who we - you know…already have.

Tiger

Your just looking for veterans chasing a ring that may cost you a 6th or 7th to add depth and fill a void for a run. I don't believe that you disrupt the roster much doing that. Just "Ring Chasers" with solid work.
Reply/Quote
First 2 games: 13 sacks
Last 5 games: 11 sacks

None of these guys played together last year. They needed time to gel.

That average of 2.2 sacks over the last 5 games would equal 37 sacks in a 17 game season, which would be a remarkable turnaround.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 05:38 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Joe Burrow and Sacks IMO will always be an issue. Unfortunately it's his play style.

However the last two game he is getting the ball out quicker and will cut down on the sacks.

Good point, and I do wonder if the big play being taken away has led to quicker throws and fewer sacks. I do think the line has been better, but what you mention could also be a factor.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 05:09 PM)Tomkat Wrote: When you drop back to pass so much, sacks are bound to happen eventually.  The defensive guys on the other side are professionals, too.

Exactly, I would add that we have close to 0 run game.  That leads to these professional defenders not being slowed by the possibility of a big run.
Now the short pass seems to be the new run - it can work but Joe must get rid of the ball very quickly a lot.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 08:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we are 6th right now and just 14 attempts out of being 16th... so still high on sacks compared to league

Yes... But anyone with eyes can see that Burrow's play style correlates to high sacks. The Herbert vs Burrow statistic mentioned earlier is very relevant to this. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: First 2 games: 13 sacks
Last 5 games: 11 sacks

None of these guys played together last year. They needed time to gel.

That average of 2.2 sacks over the last 5 games would equal 37 sacks in a 17 game season, which would be a remarkable turnaround.

Right, it's about the trend and overall sack %. For the season, Cincinnati has an 8.4% sack percentage, which is good for 26th. However, from week three to current, that sack percentage is 5.6%, which is good for 17th. Is it stellar? No, but it is a significant improvement. 
Reply/Quote