Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Loss to the Panthers
It's a game we could have won, and probably should have.

Even with our non-existent defense against the run, we had opportunities to win.

AJ Green missed almost the whole 2nd half.
John Ross played like doo-doo
Hubbard should have had a fumble recovery.
Dre Stonehands dropped another pick
Shawn Williams got another costly penalty.

But the play that beat us, if we can narrow it down to one, was the holding call on Redmund. We were on our way to tying the game, but instead of being 1st and 10 inside their 20, it became 1st and 20 outside their 30. And then Never Mind the Bullocks missed the 53 yard FG.

You just can't play like that and expect to beat a team as good as Carolina. Still, we had a chance until John WTF Ross seemed to quit on his route and let the Panthers have another INT.

I hope Marvin gave them an ass-chewing.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Was there a single holding call on Carolina's O-line?
I don't remember any. That seems almost impossible considering the Bengals have some good pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
The DLine couldn't handle Carolina's fifth string OLine. The entire story of that game begins and ends right there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
All I know is that 4 INTs by the QB had nothing to do with it. Gots to be because Redmond held on one play.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
That was a bearable loss. We were still in that with 7 minutes left. And we still had some life left with under 2 minutes in the game. We put up enough points. The offensive line isn't killing Dalton. Dalton didn't throw 4 picks all by himself. A 50+ yard FG is never automatic. They really exploited our LBs. By week 5, the LB issue will be in the rear view mirror.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:39 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: That was a bearable loss. We were still in that with 7 minutes left. And we still had some life left with under 2 minutes in the game. We put up enough points. The offensive line isn't killing Dalton. Dalton didn't throw 4 picks all by himself. A 50+ yard FG is never automatic.  They really exploited our LBs.  By week 5, the LB issue will be in the rear view mirror.

Actually today our OL stunk. Hopkins got punked all day as did Redmond and even Glenn was off. On the INTs, one was the game ending Hail Mary and 2 were directly caused by John Ross. The last one bounced off Malone's chest up in the air and the Panthers caught it. 
Reply/Quote
I agree 100% with OP. This was the play of the game to me. Bengals usually never recover from holding penalty and it essentially took us out of FG range.

Whats funny is the Cam Newton run for first down to seal the game there was an OBVIOUS hold on their LT but surprise surprise no call.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:32 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Was there a single holding call on Carolina's O-line?
I don't remember any.  That seems almost impossible considering the Bengals have some good pass rushers.

Willis had his jersey tugged on a play that should have been called but give the Panthers line credit. They beat our "vaunted" defensive line. 
Reply/Quote
Hubbard could have blocked that punt also. Dont know how he missed it
Reply/Quote
Sometimes you just need things to go EXACTLY right....
These things were soooo close, but didn't happen.

Dre dropped a pick.
Partially blocked punt.
Finally get a strip-sack...fumble right in Bengals lap, can't recover it.
INT caused by uncalled DPI.

Bengals could have been blown out, but kept fighting despite being down key players.
Losing AJ really hurt.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:17 PM)Shady Wrote: It's a game we could have won, and probably should have.

Even with our non-existent defense against the run, we had opportunities to win.

But the play that beat us, if we can narrow it down to one, was the holding call on Redmund. We were on our way to tying the game, but instead of being 1st and 10 inside their 20, it became 1st and 20 outside their 30. And then Never Mind the Bullocks missed the 53 yard FG.

You just can't play like that and expect to beat a team as good as Carolina. Still, we had a chance until John WTF Ross seemed to quit on his route and let the Panthers have another INT.

And it was bullshit.  Marv kicking that FG was even dumber.  Gave them field position to go up two scores.  Stupid.  I was so happy when Rivera went for it on fourth down (almost like "you're kidding me!") and Marvin turns right around as though he had to show Rivera he was a bigger idiot.  

I hope someone chewed Marv's ass.

And as great as Hubbard played...how the F do you not recover that?  He even deflected that punt but was so afraid of a foul that he avoided hitting the punter.  If you get the ball, you can kill the punter.  Sheesh.  What a frustrating game.  Lucy clearly enjoyed pulling the ball away yesterday.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 09:40 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Sometimes you just need things to go EXACTLY right....
These things were soooo close, but didn't happen.

Dre dropped a pick.
Partially blocked punt.
Finally get a strip-sack...fumble right in Bengals lap, can't recover it.
INT caused by uncalled DPI.

Bengals could have been blown out, but kept fighting despite being down key players.
Losing AJ really hurt.

Two of them, actually...

And the hail mary INT doesn't matter at all.  Loved how our guys stood there with their thumbs up their butt and did nothing to play the ball in the air.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:55 PM)McC Wrote: The DLine couldn't handle Carolina's fifth string OLine.  The entire story of that game begins and ends right there.

This. We were handled in the trenches on both sides of the ball, especially on D. We ran the ball 13 stinking times. 13. They ran it 41 times. On to next week.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:17 PM)Shady Wrote: It's a game we could have won, and probably should have.

That was a big play, holding call. But, you can't lose the turnover battle 4-0 (3-0) if you don't count a hail Mary and win football games on the road. We are getting battered and bruised which is a major concern as well. On to Atlanta for back to back road games which is always tough and against a another great QB. If anyone said prior to year we will be 2-2 after 3 of 4 on road, no one would be upset. If we figure out a way to go 3-1, I would be very happy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
inexperience at LB and DE was magnified today.
you have to keep The Panthers 1 dimensional.
Cam had 3rd and managable all day.
2 key parts of the game.Hubbard not securing fumble and going and out after stopping Carolina on 4 downs.
Reply/Quote

No they should not have won. Dre always drops picks, AJ usually a phantom player for large chunks of games even when in there,, Ross has NEVER shown to be anything different up to this point, Williams is a terrible S as it is and always gets penalties, and Hubbard fumble recovery attempt is just the way it bounces.. There's a reason the ball is not round. I'll add in a clueless coaching staff in knowing how to utilize TO's as it cost them big-time at the end of the 1st half. So with all that said why should they have won? If these were one-time miscues your post would make sense.

Bottom line this team played D like a HS team and they let a little scat-back who is primarily a receiver just torch them kike he's an all pro player..

Bengals lost exactly how they should have..
Reply/Quote
The defense as much as it gets blasted, kept the game withing reach and when they made 2 straight stops to help the offense tie the game and then take the lead, it flopped in its back, similarly to game two when they could only get field goals in the 2nd half. In close games like this, the offense has to step up and score. Had we score in those 2 series, I don't think the Panthers would have had scored and won the game. I think we are mentally stronger team (except Ross).
Reply/Quote
This was a "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" game
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote