Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the clock
Okeana started a thread on Solomon Thomas. Thinking about him got me to thinking about how I'd approach the draft. What's below is what I originally wrote but didn't post on Okeana's thread.

He's in my top 3-4 picks, assuming that the top DE's like Garrett and Williams are gone by 9. Thomas is a bit of a hybrid. He reminds me an awful lot of Geno Atkin. So, can he play DE in our scheme? I'm not sure how he'd do on the perimeter. He's really quick for his size, and very strong. He uses his hands really well. He plays the game with an extreme violence. I like him alot. But would I pick him over Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, Malik Hooker, or even Teez Tabor. Which of these guys, or others, would improve our football team the most? Our coaches have to be in the process of evaluating our own players. They're grading them out. Does Rex become "the guy" at RB? Or do we draft one with Gio and Hill both being question marks for next year? Clearly, we need an improved run game. We could try to improve the Oline through FA and/or the draft. I'd prefer FA, if only because there's not that much talent at Oline in the early rounds. How much do they like Cam Robinson? There are only 2 Olineman in the top 20 of the draft rankings on the CBS website. There are NONE in the top 10. Robinson is ranked 12th.

I don't know. There's alot of real defensive talent at the top of this year's draft. And while I don't think the defense was our biggest problem this year, I do think we had some players who didn't play their positions well. How much DID we miss Reggie Nelson? Shawn Williams was a liability last year. Peko plays will alot of heart and we love him for it, but he's not effective anymore. I think he's just too slow. I hope Billings can play next year.

MJ isn't playing very well. At least our linebackers are good enough to keep Maualuga on the bench. Tongue Vigil looks promising for the SAM spot, but do we re-sign Dansby? Or do we go after Foster or Cunningham? I'd be elated with either of them. But I'd be elated with Thomas, as well. I'd even be cool with Hooker or Tabor. When you're drafting at the top of the draft, you really have tough decisions to make. The talent is pretty amazing in the top 10 most years.

But if I was on the clock right now, I think I'd take Cunningham. Foster had the luxury of playing behind Alabama's DLine. Cunningham played behind Vandy's. He still managed to lead the SEC in tackles.

Again, I'd be ecstatic with a number of players, especially those listed above.

Who would you pick?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 06:14 AM)Shady Wrote: Okeana started a thread on Solomon Thomas. Thinking about him got me to thinking about how I'd approach the draft. What's below is what I originally wrote but didn't post on Okeana's thread.

He's in my top 3-4 picks, assuming that the top DE's like Garrett and Williams are gone by 9. Thomas is a bit of a hybrid. He reminds me an awful lot of Geno Atkin. So, can he play DE in our scheme? I'm not sure how he'd do on the perimeter. He's really quick for his size, and very strong. He uses his hands really well. He plays the game with an extreme violence. I like him alot. But would I pick him over Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, Malik Hooker, or even Teez Tabor. Which of these guys, or others, would improve our football team the most? Our coaches have to be in the process of evaluating our own players. They're grading them out. Does Rex become "the guy" at RB? Or do we draft one with Gio and Hill both being question marks for next year? Clearly, we need an improved run game. We could try to improve the Oline through FA and/or the draft. I'd prefer FA, if only because there's not that much talent at Oline in the early rounds. How much do they like Cam Robinson? There are only 2 Olineman in the top 20 of the draft rankings on the CBS website. There are NONE in the top 10. Robinson is ranked 12th.

I don't know. There's alot of real defensive talent at the top of this year's draft. And while I don't think the defense was our biggest problem this year, I do think we had some players who didn't play their positions well. How much DID we miss Reggie Nelson? Shawn Williams was a liability last year. Peko plays will alot of heart and we love him for it, but he's not effective anymore. I think he's just too slow. I hope Billings can play next year.

MJ isn't playing very well. At least our linebackers are good enough to keep Maualuga on the bench.  Tongue Vigil looks promising for the SAM spot, but do we re-sign Dansby? Or do we go after Foster or Cunningham? I'd be elated with either of them. But I'd be elated with Thomas, as well. I'd even be cool with Hooker or Tabor. When you're drafting at the top of the draft, you really have tough decisions to make. The talent is pretty amazing in the top 10 most years.

But if I was on the clock right now, I think I'd take Cunningham. Foster had the luxury of playing behind Alabama's DLine. Cunningham played behind Vandy's. He still managed to lead the SEC in tackles.

Who would you pick?
honestly would go McMillan. U have to pick someone who can start day one.for me that's Mike Williams in 1 McMillan in 2. Even guys like hooker they're too inexperienced to start day one they would have to be eased in. And Williams seemed to play better into fs as year went on. As far as oeko Billings hoping for a 50/50 split to start season, then more of a 70/30 by midway point. If u don't go lb I would also prefer walker he can play de or Dt on obvious passing downs. As u stated Foster played behind bama dline so don't really know how to grade him. Robinson to me is a major reach at 9.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 08:54 AM)Jpoore Wrote: honestly would go McMillan. U have to pick someone who can start day one.for me that's Mike Williams in 1 McMillan in 2. Even guys like hooker they're too inexperienced to start day one they would have to be eased in. And Williams seemed to play better into fs as year went on. As far as oeko Billings hoping for a 50/50 split to start season, then more of a 70/30 by midway point. If u don't go lb I would also prefer walker he can play de or Dt on obvious passing downs. As u stated Foster played behind bama dline so don't really know how to grade him. Robinson to me is a major reach at 9.
Im thinking we should trade up a few spots to get Malik Hooker.....before you say anything just go watch his tape..just started evaluating him and have been blown away.Adding him to our defense instantly adds 5 turnovers a year minimum,Our scoring defense would rise big time.This guy catches everything like a WR and hits like a linebacker
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:41 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Im thinking we should trade up a few spots to get Malik Hooker.....before you say anything just go watch his tape..just started evaluating him and have been blown away.Adding him to our defense instantly adds 5 turnovers a year minimum,Our scoring defense would rise big time.This guy catches everything like a WR and hits like a linebacker

oh trust me as big ten fan in general and osu in particular I love hooker. Only problem is I want a day one starter he won't be. He's a first year starter who is still learning the position and the ins and outs. Hell make amazing plays and stupid plays and while I think he's ed Reed and Eric berry love child, I think we need a day one starter. That being said if we pick him I will not be upset  by any means. His tackling is a little suspect but he has insane instincts. He instantly recognizes plays and goes right after it. Averaged over 30 yards a return.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:00 PM)Jpoore Wrote: oh trust me as big ten fan in general and osu in particular I love hooker. Only problem is I want a day one starter he won't be. He's a first year starter who is still learning the position and the ins and outs. Hell make amazing plays and stupid plays and while I think he's ed Reed and Eric berry love child, I think we need a day one starter. That being said if we pick him I will not be upset  by any means. His tackling is a little suspect but he has insane instincts. He instantly recognizes plays and goes right after it. Averaged over 30 yards a return.

I dont disagree that he is raw,I think he could still come in and start day one and be a contributor.Based on instinct and ball skills he could be at a pro bowl level midway through the season
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:16 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I dont disagree that he is raw,I think he could still come in and start day one and be a contributor.Based on instinct and ball skills he could be at a pro bowl level midway through the season

yeah I just worry about that first half if he makes a bunch of mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:19 PM)Jpoore Wrote: yeah I just worry about that first half if he makes a bunch of mistakes.

He would be an upgrade over what we have even being that raw
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:53 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: He would be an upgrade over what we have even being that raw

no argument there Williams is a ss not a fs 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:19 PM)Jpoore Wrote: yeah I just worry about that first half if he makes a bunch of mistakes.

If he stays healthy and continues his upward trend then we will have someone who can shutdown part of the field.jpoore i know your abig TOSU fan as am i .i thought i knew everything about hooker from watching the games....go back and watch his highlights u will spank it till u bleed watching that
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:55 PM)Jpoore Wrote: no argument there Williams is a ss not a fs 

Hooker can play both spots.He can come up and smack you in the mouth in the running game or pick off a deep pass and take it to the house.This would be my most preffered pick for us,Problm is that i think he will be gone by pick #5 after he blows up the combine
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 02:00 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Hooker can play both spots.He can come up and smack you in the mouth in the running game or pick off a deep pass and take it to the house.This would be my most preffered pick for us,Problm is that i think he will be gone by pick #5 after he blows up the combine

my point was Iloka is a top 10 ss when they have a legit fs next to him. Problem last year was they were trying to convert Williams from ss to fs and it didn't work. Kiper just put out his first mock and he went 15. Just posted the whole mock. Also doubt they do this considering they have both players locked up until 2020.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:53 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: He would be an upgrade over what we have even being that raw
Ask the Seahawks how that legion of boom thing went once Earl Thomas went down. This franchise, fanbase and this board specifically are severely underestimating the importance of a good FS that can play centerfield in deep zone and also come up and hit like a linebacker when asked to crowd the box. Williams or Illoka neither one is a FS by nature and both excel playing near the line of scrimmage. To me, as much as I kind of like Williams, it was a wasted pick from day 1 in my eyes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 02:16 PM)dr1441 Wrote: Ask the Seahawks how that legion of boom thing went once Earl Thomas went down. This franchise, fanbase and this board specifically are severely underestimating the importance of a good FS that can play centerfield in deep zone and also come up and hit like a linebacker when asked to crowd the box. Williams or Illoka neither one is a FS by nature and both excel playing near the line of scrimmage. To me, as much as I kind of like Williams, it was a wasted pick from day 1 in my eyes. 

I agree,I think it Hooker would be what were missing after reggie left
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 06:14 AM)Shady Wrote: Okeana started a thread on Solomon Thomas. Thinking about him got me to thinking about how I'd approach the draft. What's below is what I originally wrote but didn't post on Okeana's thread.

MJ isn't playing very well. At least our linebackers are good enough to keep Maualuga on the bench.  Tongue Vigil looks promising for the SAM spot, but do we re-sign Dansby? Or do we go after Foster or Cunningham? I'd be elated with either of them. But I'd be elated with Thomas, as well. I'd even be cool with Hooker or Tabor. When you're drafting at the top of the draft, you really have tough decisions to make. The talent is pretty amazing in the top 10 most years.

Who would you pick?

I think we need to improve our pass rush in the 1st or 2nd round then our running game the most.

So my top picks right now are Solomon Thomas or Dalvin Cook in the first but i would be fine with Cunningham
cause he can cover and is the type of LB we have needed for a long time. The only problem i have with Thomas
is that we might need more of a perimeter type of End but it might be time to change that up and go versatile.

Hardison is supposed to be this guy but he won't be no Solomon Thomas.

Right now my ideal scenario though is Dalvin Cook, in the 1st, Taco Charlton or Takk Mckinley in the 2nd and a
Center like John Toth or Tyler Orlovsky in the 3rd. Hope we trade McCarron for another pick and really can work
on our weaknesses early.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:00 PM)Jpoore Wrote: oh trust me as big ten fan in general and osu in particular I love hooker. Only problem is I want a day one starter he won't be. He's a first year starter who is still learning the position and the ins and outs. Hell make amazing plays and stupid plays and while I think he's ed Reed and Eric berry love child, I think we need a day one starter. That being said if we pick him I will not be upset  by any means. His tackling is a little suspect but he has insane instincts. He instantly recognizes plays and goes right after it. Averaged over 30 yards a return.

Chances are you will be disappointed.  We generally don't draft day 1 starters.

That being said, I think he has as good a chance as anybody in this draft to be a day 1 starter.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 11:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Chances are you will be disappointed.  We generally don't draft day 1 starters.

That being said, I think he has as good a chance as anybody in this draft to be a day 1 starter.
This is why I've been pushing Williams's so hard . I feel he would be aj green and would start right away. Williams has the best chance to start right away imo. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 11:47 PM)Jpoore Wrote: This is why I've been pushing Williams's so hard . I feel he would be aj green and would start right away. Williams has the best chance to start right away imo. 

I actually think there is less of a chance for ANY WR to come in and start as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
Williams probably won't be there at #9 anyway.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 12:09 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I actually think there is less of a chance for ANY WR to come in and start as a rookie.

Both of the top 2 receivers are the most pro ready since green Julio draft. That said while I would be upset if Williams goes before 9 bc I would love him on our offense I wouldn't be angry bc we have many other options ala hooker, Foster, walker, Davis,even corner.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 02:24 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I agree,I think it Hooker would be what were missing after reggie left

I love Hooker and would take him in a heartbeat, but a lot of S issues were due to blown coverages, and Reggie used to be the guy that made the secondary calls and got everyone on the same page.  Hooker won't take over those duties as a rookie, and part of Iloka's struggles may have been due to his worrying about the entire secondary instead of just himself.
Reply/Quote