Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On this date in Bengals history...
Paul Brown hired 38 year old former Bengals QB Sam Wyche to become the the new head coach, and it would be officially announced the following day. Wyche had coached the previous year at Indiana University and was let of his contract with the school to take the Bengals job.

Wyche replaced Forrest Gregg, who was allowed to leave with a year left on his deal to become Green Bay's new head coach. Wyche was the only coach interviewed by Paul Brown for the Bengals head coach opening. 

Wyche would have a winning record through his first 7 seasons (58-53) and led the Bengals to an appearance in Super Bowl XXIII. After a 3-13 mark in his 8th season, Wyche would leave the Bengals, via getting fired or resigning, depending on who you believe. He would later settle with Mike Brown for about half of what was still owed on his remaining contract.
Reply/Quote
Bring him back again!!!
Reply/Quote
And thus, the first in a long line of Mike's Bad Moves comes to pass.

At least we once had a HC who was ahead of the curve.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Wyche was an innovator the likes of which we haven't seen since. To bad Mike retreats to a fetal position in his safe place at the thought of any change.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sammy was way ahead of the curve on offensive philosophies.....and had LeBeau coaching the defense.  There was a rough patch or two, but the team was innovative and mentally tough during his tenure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 04:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Sammy was way ahead of the curve on offensive philosophies.....and had LeBeau coaching the defense.  There was a rough patch or two, but the team was innovative and mentally tough during his tenure.

And entertaining to watch most of the time...even during those rough patches.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 04:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: And entertaining to watch most of the time...even during those rough patches.

Indeed.....polar opposite of the last 3 seasons.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 04:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Sammy was way ahead of the curve on offensive philosophies.....and had LeBeau coaching the defense.  There was a rough patch or two, but the team was innovative and mentally tough during his tenure.

The Bengals didn't come out with their tails tucked between their legs when facing the Steelers back then. Or run off in a corner sulking at the first sign of adversity.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Bengals didn't come out with their tails tucked between their legs when facing the Steelers back then. Or run off in a corner sulking at the first sign of adversity.

Hell no....not under Sam Wyche.  Sam wasn't the type to embarrass a team, until he was.  Remember the 61-7 drubbing of the Oilers?  No way in hell Merv would ever do anything like that.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell no....not under Sam Wyche.  Sam wasn't the type to embarrass a team, until he was.  Remember the 61-7 drubbing of the Oilers?  No way in hell Merv would ever do anything like that.

Oh yes ! The Jerry Glanville Houston Oilers. Those were the days !

Like the famous Woody Hayes quote: Why did you go for the two point conversion at the end against Michigan up 20 points ? "Because I couldn't go for 3"

The Bengals had a swag back then that they haven't had in quite some time.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell no....not under Sam Wyche.  Sam wasn't the type to embarrass a team, until he was.  Remember the 61-7 drubbing of the Oilers?  No way in hell Merv would ever do anything like that.

One of my all-time favorite games. Wyche after the game:

"We don't like this team. We don't like their people. When you get a chance to do it (run up the score), you do it. I wish today this was a five-quarter game."

"I just don't like Jerry Glanville. I don't like phonies, and I don't think Jerry is a very genuine guy. The cheap shots they tried after our quarterback was down, their big mouths. Jerry tries coming up and talking to me before the game and when the cameras start rolling he puts his arm around you and smiles behind those dark glasses."

"When your football team is so talented and yet so undisciplined, you got to be ready to get kicked and the score run up on you. And that's exactly what happened today ... I feel sorry for the Houston players having to put up with him. He can take that hit-the-beach stuff and take it back to high school or wherever he got it from. He's a joke."

LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 04:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul Brown hired 38 year old former Bengals QB Sam Wyche to become the the new head coach, and it would be officially announced the following day. Wyche had coached the previous year at Indiana University and was let of his contract with the school to take the Bengals job.

Wyche replaced Forrest Gregg, who was allowed to leave with a year left on his deal to become Green Bay's new head coach. Wyche was the only coach interviewed by Paul Brown for the Bengals head coach opening. 

Wyche would have a winning record through his first 7 seasons (58-53) and led the Bengals to an appearance in Super Bowl XXIII. After a 3-13 mark in his 8th season, Wyche would leave the Bengals, via getting fired or resigning, depending on who you believe. He would later settle with the Mike Brown for about half of what was still owed on his remaining contract.

Great post!

Paul Brown was the most innovative person in NFL history. He surrounded himself with innovative football people, i.e. Bill Walsh, Sam Wyche, etc. If only Mike Brown would have seen that innovation was the key to what his father did all those years.

Reply/Quote
BTW, talking about Sam reminds me that today is the birthday of my all-time favorite Bengals RB, James Brooks...who turns 60! Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: One of my all-time favorite games. Wyche after the game:

"We don't like this team. We don't like their people. When you get a chance to do it (run up the score), you do it. I wish today this was a five-quarter game."

"I just don't like Jerry Glanville. I don't like phonies, and I don't think Jerry is a very genuine guy. The cheap shots they tried after our quarterback was down, their big mouths. Jerry tries coming up and talking to me before the game and when the cameras start rolling he puts his arm around you and smiles behind those dark glasses."

"When your football team is so talented and yet so undisciplined, you got to be ready to get kicked and the score run up on you. And that's exactly what happened today ... I feel sorry for the Houston players having to put up with him. He can take that hit-the-beach stuff and take it back to high school or wherever he got it from. He's a joke."

LOL

Sam was right, but damn, it sure was entertaining watching Chuck Knoll whine and sling snot over getting a dose of his own medicine!

Jerry was/is a very entertaining character to say the least......

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: BTW, talking about Sam reminds me that today is the birthday of my all-time favorite Bengals RB, James Brooks...who turns 60! Mellow

Yikes!  60!

Happy birthday JB!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 05:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: One of my all-time favorite games. Wyche after the game:

LOL

I LOVE it.  A coach who says what he means and means what he says.  The guy had brains and heart.

I loved it that Chuck Noll called him "Whicky Whacky".   Sam just kicked his butt.   I love that Buffalo's Marv Levy whined about the no huddle trying to get it outlawed on the verge of the playoffs... then embraced it after he couldn't get the league to scrap it.

He was not universally admired back then, but he backed up his zeal with good football.  And he was a quality person to boot.  Had a heart for the poor and was the kind of guy who knew how to build a team from the inside out.

If he was healthy and he could talk without an amplifier I'd be writing everybody and their mother to make a plug to get him and Jim McNally back.
Reply/Quote

(12-28-2018, 05:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh yes ! The Jerry Glanville Houston Oilers. Those were the days !

Like the famous Woody Hayes quote: Why did you go for the two point conversion at the end against Michigan up 20 points ? "Because I couldn't go for 3"

The Bengals had a swag back then that they haven't had in quite some time.

Great stuff. Cool

LOL

Sammy really minced words didn't he lmao! Hilarious

(12-28-2018, 06:17 PM)3wt Wrote: I LOVE it.  A coach who says what he means and means what he says.  The guy had brains and heart.

I loved it that Chuck Noll called him "Whicky Whacky".   Sam just kicked his butt.   I love that Buffalo's Marv Levy whined about the no huddle trying to get it outlawed on the verge of the playoffs... then embraced it after he couldn't get the league to scrap it.

He was not universally admired back then, but he backed up his zeal with good football.  And he was a quality person to boot.  Had a heart for the poor and was the kind of guy who knew how to build a team from the inside out.

If he was healthy and he could talk without an amplifier I'd be writing everybody and their mother to make a plug to get him and Jim McNally back.

Complete opposite of Marv and exactly the type of coach we need here but yeah it was a joke about
bringing him back. Wish him all the best with his health. He is in my prayers.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals hired an innovative, young coach who changed the game.

The NFL changed the rules right before the Super Bowl and this innovative coach was able to adjust almost winning the Super Bowl.

The the NFL comes back and says, "Yeah, you can run the no huddle...our bad".

The NFL is fixed!
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 11:18 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Bengals hired an innovative, young coach who changed the game.

The NFL changed the rules right before the Super Bowl and this innovative coach was able to adjust almost winning the Super Bowl.

The NFL is fixed!

The irony is I think Paul Brown thought because Sam had been a compliant player he'd be a compliant coach.   

Then he turned out to be a genius and a firebrand.  And ar the first time he stood up to the family they canned him and said he quit

This is an intergenerational problem that I don't see going away.  Paul got away with it because he was a football genius.  But genius is rarely found in successive generations.

They are good people though, and I am praying Katie breaks the mold.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 11:18 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Bengals hired an innovative, young coach who changed the game.

The NFL is fixed!

The irony is I think Paul Brown thought because Sam had been a compliant player he'd be a compliant coach.   

Then he turned out to be a genius and a firebrand.  And ar the first time he stood up to the family they canned him and said he quit

This is an intergenerational problem that I don't see going away.  Paul got away with it because he was a football genius.  But genius is rarely found in successive generations.

They are good people though, and I am praying Katie breaks the mold.

And yeah, the NFL is corrupt.
Reply/Quote