Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On to Portsmouth; I Mean Detroit
Go Pack, go home!

Okay, the Bengals lost to the Cheeseheads but that’s life. Now it’s time to travel up I-75 to take on the Detroit Lions which were previously known as the Portsmouth Spartans from 1928-34. That’s right! Portsmouth, the drug infested ghost town on the Ohio River, used to host an NFL franchise. One day their owner said, “I’m enjoying the grimy coal plants, the crime, the bad schools, and the polluted river but it’s just not bone-chilling cold enough. We’re moving to Detroit.”

The Detroit Lions are horrible. Even the actual lions from the 1970s docu-series “Born Free” are more fearsome. These aren’t your father’s Lions. They aren’t even your grandfather’s Lions. The last time Detroit won an NFL Championship was 1957. That’s the year the Soviets launched Sputnik. The last good hit the Lions had was when defensive lineman Alex Karras played Mongo in “Blazing Saddles” and knocked a horse out cold. Okay, they had Calvin “Megatron” Johnson but, like the original Megatron, he lost his Allspark.

Now the Detroit Lions are bad. Really bad. This means it’s time for the Bengals to either (1) walk into a trap game and come out flat or (2) wipe the stadium with Lion fur. It’s time for a statement game, not a squeaker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Go Pack, go home!

Okay, the Bengals lost to the Cheeseheads but that’s life.  Now it’s time to travel up I-75 to take on the Detroit Lions which were previously known as the Portsmouth Spartans from 1928-34.  That’s right!  Portsmouth, the drug infested ghost town on the Ohio River, used to host an NFL franchise.  One day their owner said, “I’m enjoying the grimy coal plants, the crime, the bad schools, and the polluted river but it’s just not bone-chilling cold enough.  We’re moving to Detroit.”

The Detroit Lions are horrible.  Even the actual lions from the 1970s docu-series “Born Free” are more fearsome.  These aren’t your father’s Lions.  They aren’t even your grandfather’s Lions.  The last time Detroit won an NFL Championship was 1957.  That’s the year the Soviets launched Sputnik.  The last good hit the Lions had was when defensive lineman Alex Karras played Mongo in “Blazing Saddles” and knocked a horse out cold.  Okay, they had Calvin “Megatron” Johnson but, like the original Megatron, he lost his Allspark.

Now the Detroit Lions are bad.  Really bad.  This means it’s time for the Bengals to either (1) walk into a trap game and come out flat or (2) wipe the stadium with Lion fur.  It’s time for a statement game, not a squeaker.

No trap games especially when your 3-2 and not been very good over the last few years...could we not say Lions could see this as a trap game also
Reply/Quote
Should be a win, but can't take it for granted. The Lions are pretty talent deficient, but they play hard.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Ah, yes, the quadrennial occurrence of my fantasy Super Bowl Match up: Bengals vs Lions. Problem is, it hardly ever occurs when both teams are good. There's always one mediocre/bad team if not two. This time it's the Bengals who will be punching down.

Hoping we can win this, then take care of the Ratbirds, the Jest and then the Shitstains at home, and roll into the bye at 7-2, maybe 6-3 at worst.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This is a must win in my book and know you're right about a possible trap game.

Yet its hard to believe with Zac's record that he would let them fall into the trap.

Would think the players pride would also not allow this to happen.

Yet as I said earlier, know you're right about this, yet just don't see how teams trying to claw their way from the bottomto the top overlook any team.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This game is more about health then anything else to me. So many times the Bengals have gone to Detriot and lost multiple players or high value draft picks due to the craptastic field the Lions call home. (Ki-Jana Carter's career ended because of that crap playing surface.)

Goff shouldn't scare anyone, but the Lions have two things that will be issues for the Bengals. A really good TE that can make plays and then Swift the RB who will make a lot of plays after catching the ball out of the backfield. Saw the Packers use that today, and I'm sure the Lions will be doing it as well with Swift, who is at his best in those situations.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Ah, the week that pits me against my Wife (a Lions fan).

After our 2013 win on a game-winning FG, I randomly yelled "it's good!" at her for roughly 6 months or so.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ah, the week that pits me against my Wife (a Lions fan).

After our 2013 win on a game-winning FG, I randomly yelled "it's good!" at her for roughly 6 months or so.

How's the spaghetti?
"It's good!!!!     from 39 yards out"
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No trap games especially when your 3-2 and not been very good over the last few years...could we not say Lions could see this as a trap game also

Not when you haven't won 1 game and keep losing on last second field goals. This is not a lock for sure.. These teams win eventually and it's usually against a middle of the pack team like the Bengals..
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ah, the week that pits me against my Wife (a Lions fan).

[Image: bold-strategy-dodgeball.gif]

Reply/Quote
I expected this 4 game stretch to be 2-2, so this was expected. It’s just a bummer that McPherson couldn’t win this for us
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This game is more about health then anything else to me. So many times the Bengals have gone to Detriot and lost multiple players or high value draft picks due to the craptastic field the Lions call home. (Ki-Jana Carter's career ended because of that crap playing surface.)

I would bet money they are NOT playing on the same surface that Ki-Jana Carter played on.
Reply/Quote
Hey, watch it! I’m from Portsmouth. That’s true lol.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:29 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I would bet money they are NOT playing on the same surface that Ki-Jana Carter played on.

They aren’t even in the same stadium.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:29 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I would bet money they are NOT playing on the same surface that Ki-Jana Carter played on.

I know, but it is just the stigma of playing in Det in general. Been lots of players lost there.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: [Image: bold-strategy-dodgeball.gif]

Luckily, she's patient with a good sense of humor. She has to be to tolerate me and my shenigans.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Yikes. Sundays can't be fun days.
Reply/Quote
We should win this game handily. Anything less is an issue.
Reply/Quote
We might get lucky and squeeze by on a FG - that is if McPherson can actually not choke under the pressure. Zac as usual will have a nonsensical game plan and the team will struggle even though they should win comfortably. Which is what poseurs like this team do...
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: They aren’t even in the same stadium.

Right.  That's why I said "surface."  Crappy turf is. thankfully, a thing of the past.  Even the "artificial" stuff behaves mostly like real grass.
Reply/Quote