Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of OL talent league wide
(11-08-2019, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re still 8-1. To suggest elite QB’s can’t overcome bad OL play has always, and will always be ridiculous.

Also, they beat the Bills, who have an elite defense.

Plus, we saw the Dalton numbers from a clean pocket. They weren't good.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 12:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus, we saw the Dalton numbers from a clean pocket. They weren't good.

Speaking of cleaning pockets, i wonder how much money Mikey will make this year...
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 08:54 PM)J24 Wrote: The Patriots have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. In fact there averaging 3.3 yards a carry and are struggling to keep Tom upright on passing plays.

Yet they are 8 and 1.

This Thread talks of a lack of O-line talent League wide.

The Patriots have had somewhat of a Revolving Door at Left Tackle for a few seasons with Nate Solder (who left the team) then Trent Brown (who left the team) then Isaiah Wynn who has been hurt most of this year.

I wasn't touting the current Patriots line as being Stellar but rather that the Coaching Staff has had turnover of players at Left Tackle plus injuries at Left Tackle yet they are still 8 and 1.

Coaches are overcoming the loss of talent and the injuries with wins even as the O-line struggles.

Many expect Isaiah Wynn's return to help settle the Patriot's line into performing better as they head to the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Ben Baby has an interesting tweet statistic this morning about Jerry getting the start at LT. He has the second worst PBWR (pass block win rate) of any OT in the league since he took over as the starter. The only OT in the league with a worse rate in that same timeframe is...Bobby Hart.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 03:27 PM)depthchart Wrote: Yet they are 8 and 1.

The Patriots have had somewhat of a Revolving Door at Left Tackle for a few seasons with Nate Solder (who left the team) then Trent Brown (who left the team) then Isaiah Wynn who has been hurt most of this year.

I wasn't touting the current Patriots line as being Stellar but rather that the Coaching Staff has had turnover of players at Left Tackle plus injuries at Left Tackle yet they are still 8 and 1.

Coaches are overcoming the loss of talent and the injuries with wins even as the O-line struggles.

Many expect Isaiah Wynn's return to help settle the Patriot's line into performing better as they head to the Playoffs.

The Offensive line is bad and coaching isn't fixing it. The Defense and Tom Brady  is making up for it but coaching isn't fixing the problem.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 04:44 PM)pally Wrote: SI did a midseason survey of team execs.  One of the questions asked is "What trend is happening that no one is talking about?"  considering our challenges with the OL and our running game, I thought this answer was telling.

What trend is happening in the NFL right now that no one is talking about?

“The lack of NFL level offensive linemen and the return of the run game/running back—with all the fantasy football and rules being made to get points up and passing yardage up, there are not enough offensive tackles for 32 teams to have at least two NFL level starters to execute the passing game at an efficient enough level to win being a "passing, greatest show on turf" type of offense. Still have to run to win. The offensive-minded coaches that know how to devise ways to run the ball with lesser talent in the offensive line or when their front line OL are out are the guys that give their guys the best chance to win.”

This may be true, but we seem to be struggling more (to find talent) than most considering we've given up the 7th most sacks and we're dead last in rushing. 

There's also likely no other team that has sucked as bad as we have for 4 years running.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 09:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This may be true, but we seem to be struggling more (to find talent) than most considering we've given up the 7th most sacks and we're dead last in rushing. 

There's also likely no other team that has sucked as bad as we have for 4 years running.

Yep

This is one thing I feel some people on here choose to ignore, are just in denial about it, gloss it over, or just refuse to admit. We haven't just been bad this season or this season and last season. 

We've been bad since midway thru 2015 ! We fell on our face in the Texans game that year and haven't gotten back up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 11:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

This is one thing I feel some people on here choose to ignore, are just in denial about it, gloss it over, or just refuse to admit. We haven't just been bad this season or this season and last season. 

We've been bad since midway thru 2015 ! We fell on our face in the Texans game that year and haven't gotten back up.

True, but I was talking specifically about the line. It's been bad for 4 years now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The lineman are slimming up and are more mobile. It’s the natural trend in fitness and conditioning.

Guys built like Cedric Ogbhehi are gonna get real popular long as they can block
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 03:27 PM)depthchart Wrote: Yet they are 8 and 1.

The original article also discussed the ability of coaches to get a running game going with lesser talent are the successful ones.  It is not just lack of OL talent, it is the ability to get the most out of the least

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote