Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Last Free Agent? (Miller)
Do we still have the roster space and money to pick up some late minute free agents?

I wouldn't be against bringing in a veteran tight end (other than Gresham) like Zach Miller.

Z. Miller has been an above average TE in the league the past few years. Reliable, trustworthy, and fairly durable I believe.

What do you guys think about brining in a veteran TE, or are there any other last minute FA's worth taking a look at?
Reply/Quote
I've always liked Miller and would bring him in for a physical. The Seahawks cut him for failing to pass a physical after he had ankle surgery.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 05:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Do we still have the roster space and money to pick up some late minute free agents?

I wouldn't be against bringing in a veteran tight end (other than Gresham) like Zach Miller.

Z. Miller has been an above average TE in the league the past few years. Reliable, trustworthy, and fairly durable I believe.

What do you guys think about brining in a veteran TE, or are there any other last minute FA's worth taking a look at?

A nice thought, this would cushion the loss of Gresham. Would be all for it.

Like i said in a couple other threads, it is pretty dumb to think a rookie could just replace Gresham.

This guy is proven and might even be an upgrade and could tutor up Kroft.
Reply/Quote
I think they like their TE group. It is young, but they didn't draft two not play at least one. I also think they feel like Hewitt could kick out to TE if they had to and they could play Wilder as the FB in a crunch.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 10:55 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A nice thought, this would cushion the loss of Gresham. Would be all for it.

Like i said in a couple other threads, it is pretty dumb to think a rookie could just replace Gresham.

If Palmer could be replaced with a rookie, surely Gresham can.  Especially when you consider we have another first round TE in the group.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 10:55 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A nice thought, this would cushion the loss of Gresham. Would be all for it.

We're not replacing Gresham with a rookie. Eiffert is Gresh's replacement. The rookie is taking Eiffert's place as the #2 TE.

Sent from my samsung SPH-L710T Using Ez Forum for Android
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 11:12 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: If Palmer could be replaced with a rookie, surely Gresham can.  Especially when you consider we have another first round TE in the group.

I don't think we need a vet TE right now, we have enough beef on the OL and talent at WR that we can make due even if Eifert doesn't pan out to be amazing this season.

Buuuuut,

I do think the premise of "Andy replaced Palmer so why couldn't a rookie replace X?" is very flawed reasoning for not getting a vet TE. We can't just always assume our mid round picks are going to come in and tear it up right away. Like you said though, we have Eifert to essentially replace Gresh so it's not like we're asking a rookie to come in and start immediately.
Reply/Quote
IF anything, why not just grab Tim Wright?
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 11:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: We're not replacing Gresham with a rookie. Eiffert is Gresh's replacement. The rookie is taking Eiffert's place as the #2 TE.

Sent from my samsung SPH-L710T Using Ez Forum for Android

Eifert was not drafted to replace Gresham, he was simply BPA and he's not no where nearly as good of a blocker as Gresham.

Miller is a good blocker, so I wouldn't mind that at all, and I don't trust Eifert to stay healthy yet.

If Eifert goes down again, we'd be forced to find another TE that's not very good. I'd rather let our rookies learn their spots and be eased in instead of being forced into the starting lineup.

What we should do is bring back Gresham for a 1 year deal and let him prove his health to the league and we would get a great blocker to help us, not only that, but after the season he will have plenty of suitors so we'd get a comp pick for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 11:52 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Eifert was not drafted to replace Gresham, he was simply BPA and he's not no where nearly as good of a blocker as Gresham.

Miller is a good blocker, so I wouldn't mind that at all, and I don't trust Eifert to stay healthy yet.

If Eifert goes down again, we'd be forced to find another TE that's not very good. I'd rather let our rookies learn their spots and be eased in instead of being forced into the starting lineup.

What we should do is bring back Gresham for a 1 year deal and let him prove his health to the league and we would get a great blocker to help us, not only that, but after the season he will have plenty of suitors so we'd get a comp pick for him.

Spot on Mike, except i doubt we bring back Gresham. There seemed to be some hard feelings, especially on the Bengals side towards him.

The reason we drafted Kroft is he shown the ability to block and we were looking to replace Gresham.

It was obvious for all to see from Hobspin's articles that they wanted pretty much rid of him. Might backfire on us, but it is what it is.

I just hope Kroft can live up to the coaches expectations. Eifert is our playmaking pass catching TE, he is not Gresham who was a solid blocker/solid pass catcher. That is what the coaches saw in Kroft, so they grabbed their man.
Reply/Quote
Also remember that with Fisher we will probably see him lined up as a TE for blocking purposes, but he may sneak out a couple times on routes to keep teams honest. I just don't see anyway this team adds another TE unless there is another injury. Eiffert and Kroft will play with Hewitt the back up and Fisher will see time in 6 OL sets.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 12:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Also remember that with Fisher we will probably see him lined up as a TE for blocking purposes, but he may sneak out a couple times on routes to keep teams honest. I just don't see anyway this team adds another TE unless there is another injury. Eiffert and Kroft will play with Hewitt the back up and Fisher will see time in 6 OL sets.

Yeah, kind of forgot about Fisher at TE at times.

Nice post.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 05:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Do we still have the roster space and money to pick up some late minute free agents?

As far as i know hes hurt... And is probly the reason hes not already on someones roster... but if healthy id be interested. They are talking up a few of these young TEs though (well they are all young lol)
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 12:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Also remember that with Fisher we will probably see him lined up as a TE for blocking purposes, but he may sneak out a couple times on routes to keep teams honest. I just don't see anyway this team adds another TE unless there is another injury. Eiffert and Kroft will play with Hewitt the back up and Fisher will see time in 6 OL sets.
Tiger While I think you are more right than wrong, let's not forget CJ Uzomah. Big body and supposedly a better blocker than receiver and very athletic...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 03:01 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger While I think you are more right than wrong, let's not forget CJ Uzomah. Big body and supposedly a better blocker than receiver and very athletic...

Actually his MO is the opposite great athlete that has never been taut how to block with technique. Kroft is a much better blocker right now.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 01:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: As far as i know hes hurt... And is probly the reason hes not already on someones roster...   but if healthy id be interested.  They are talking up a few of these young TEs though (well they are all young lol)

Ya I didn't realize he was hurt until Bengal Dude brought it up earlier, so bummer!

As to what everyone else was saying, I think I just lack faith in our TE coach to get rookies to play up to a pro level. Call me skeptical

Atleast with Miller we know he did fairly well in Seattle and even Oakland.
Reply/Quote
Could be a guy to look at if an injury occurs in the season.
Reply/Quote
I don't get why people are so panicked about the TE position. We're in good shape.

Tyler Eifert- former 1st round pick who had 39 catches for 445 yards in his rookie season, despite not getting starter snaps.
Tyler Kroft- 3rd round pick. Was named 1st team All-America in '13 with 43 catches for 573 yards. Experienced blocker.
CJ Uzomah- 5th round pick. Used more as a blocker at Auburn, but has flashed great athleticism at his Pro Day (4.63 forty)

In addition to these, they also have Jake Murphy (who was on last year's practice squad and had impressed in OTA's), Matt Lengal from EKU (6'8" 272 lbs) and John Peter (6'8" 265 lbs).

I understand wanting some experience behind Eifert, but talent-wise, we're fine.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Zach Miller or Tim Wright would be decent signings for veteran depth, if they decide they need it.

Wright is a bit small, but he's a good receiver for sure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 04:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't get why people are so panicked about the TE position. We're in good shape.

Tyler Eifert- former 1st round pick who had 39 catches for 445 yards in his rookie season, despite not getting starter snaps.
Tyler Kroft- 3rd round pick. Was named 1st team All-America in '13 with 43 catches for 573 yards. Experienced blocker.
CJ Uzomah- 5th round pick. Used more as a blocker at Auburn, but has flashed great athleticism at his Pro Day (4.63 forty)

In addition to these, they also have Jake Murphy (who was on last year's practice squad and had impressed in OTA's), Matt Lengal from EKU (6'8" 272 lbs) and John Peter (6'8" 265 lbs).

I understand wanting some experience behind Eifert, but talent-wise, we're fine.

Because there is absolutely no experience there... Is a valid reason for concern.. they cant be a QBs best friend if they arent in the right spot etc.

Plus Coach hayes doesnt have much of a track record improving a TE once there are here.

Eifert is our most experienced with 1 year and 7? snaps.

Potential wise we are fine... but as we know all too well that doesnt always translate.
Reply/Quote