Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One could say Zac is one of the greatest Bengals coaches ever.....
Lol. That's 4 Playoff wins. Who has more?
Reply/Quote
Don't know if I'm ready to go there yet. There was a guy named Paul Brown who could coach a little bit. Yeah, I know he didn't win a playoff game here, but those 70's Bengals teams were really, really good. They would have done well in the playoffs but there was no Wild Card and to get there they had to go through one of the greatest teams of all time. I won't mention their name. Hated them then, hate them more now, but have to give credit where it's due. Hell, half their roster is in Canton.

Other than PB, Zac is making a case. I would put him second, already.
Reply/Quote
Paul and Sam are the reason I said "one of the greatest" and not the greatest
Reply/Quote
I mean, the bar isn't exactly the highest with Head Coaches in this organization but ZT is NO DOUBT one of the best Bengals HC of all time. If he can maintain consistency for years to come, then it won't even be a debate.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 03:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Paul and Sam are the reason I said "one of the greatest" and not the greatest

Sorry, I am still recovering from last night.  Thought you said "greatest."  I'm 100% in agreement with that.
Reply/Quote
I am very confident in our team with Zac on the sideline. Great communicator and when things aren't going right he keeps the
team calm and focused. Zac Taylor and Sam Wyche are both my faves besides the great Paul Brown of course. What Zac is doing
is epic though, no doubt about it and Lou Anarumo sure helps everything.
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure you could convince me that ZT couldn’t have won 1 playoff game with the crew Marvin had. Now no doubt, ZT has a better QB than Marv had in his run, but the TEAM always seemed to meltdown in the playoffs, and I haven’t seen that in any of the playoff games with ZT.

Going back to the 80s I didn’t get the pleasure of being aware of what was going on to watch them.
Reply/Quote
Um... Nah.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
This is where things get kind of funny. There are only 40 coaches in NFL history with more playoff wins than Zach Taylor at this point. I think people sometimes forget how hard it is to win playoff games.
Reply/Quote
I think the reason a lot of credit doesn’t go to Zac is because of his QB. Burrow is a guy who’s got that confidence/borderline arrogance that the whole team embraces.
The interesting question is what how many playoff (SB?) wins would Marvin have if he had Burrow as his QB? Same team just switch out Palmer or Dalton for Joe B and I think they at least win some playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 04:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is where things get kind of funny. There are only 40 coaches in NFL history with more playoff wins than Zach Taylor at this point. I think people sometimes forget how hard it is to win playoff games.

That number is sure going to dwindle
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
For me it goes...

- Paul Brown (He's just too important to the game in general to put anyone above him.... unless they win a SB as a Bengals coach)
- ZT (Complete 180 degree culture change, SB appearance, all around great dude by all accounts)
- Wyche/Gregg
- Marvin
- None of the rest matter. They're in the bottom of the Porta John.
Reply/Quote
From a purely emotional/nostalgic stand point Sam will always be my favorite. Zac is probably a better coach but Sam was so colorful.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 04:56 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think the reason a lot of credit doesn’t go to Zac is because of his QB. Burrow is a guy who’s got that confidence/borderline arrogance that the whole team embraces.
The interesting question is what how many playoff (SB?) wins would Marvin have if he had Burrow as his QB? Same team just switch out Palmer or Dalton for Joe B and I think they at least win some playoff games.

Marvin’s best teams were good to great but always shrunk in big moments. They lacked that mental edge that wins in the post season. Taylor’s teams take mental toughness to a new level.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 03:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Lol. That's 4 Playoff wins. Who has more?

He has 2 more wins than our Coach Lafluer. He only is 2-3 in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
If he wins a Super Bowl, then it can't be denied.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 04:56 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think the reason a lot of credit doesn’t go to Zac is because of his QB. Burrow is a guy who’s got that confidence/borderline arrogance that the whole team embraces.
The interesting question is what how many playoff (SB?) wins would Marvin have if he had Burrow as his QB?  Same team just switch out Palmer or Dalton for Joe B and I think they at least win some playoff games.

Yeah it's a chicken and egg question. The real answer probably lies in the middle; Zac is more successful due to Burrow, but Burrow is also having success due to Zac. 

Back to the topic, I mean at some point the stats talk for themselves right? 

- First back to back division titles.
- First road playoff win. Which was followed up within a week by another.
- First road AFC Championship.
- First 3 win postseason.
- First back to back seasons with a playoff win. 

Obviously you can attribute different levels of credit to different parts, but ZT is the head coach and deemed responsible for it all. He obviously doesn't achieve this with Brandon Allen, but at the end of the day it also takes more than Joe Burrow to do all this, and ZT has helped build most of the roster. 

If he wins a SB it's a non-argument.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:16 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah it's a chicken and egg question. The real answer probably lies in the middle; Zac is more successful due to Burrow, but Burrow is also having success due to Zac. 

Back to the topic, I mean at some point the stats talk for themselves right? 

- First back to back division titles.
- First road playoff win. Which was followed up within a week by another.
- First road AFC Championship.
- First 3 win postseason.
- First back to back seasons with a playoff win. 

Obviously you can attribute different levels of credit to different parts, but ZT is the head coach and deemed responsible for it all. He obviously doesn't achieve this with Brandon Allen, but at the end of the day it also takes more than Joe Burrow to do all this, and ZT has helped build most of the roster. 

If he wins a SB it's a non-argument.

The flaw in the Qb argument has been...the defense was the star of most those wins. We can all love Burrow and recognize great defense and kicking really has been our calling card in the playoffs to this point of Taylor's tenure.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 07:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: The flaw in the Qb argument has been...the defense was the star of most those wins. We can all love Burrow and recognize great defense and kicking really has been our calling card in the playoffs to this point of Taylor's tenure.

Yeah definitely, I think Burrow and the offence has generally been well contained by the opposing defences in the playoffs. We just make the plays we need to at the right times. We had what, 3 good drives yesterday? But that was enough to win the game. 

Flip the argument, and I doubt we win those games with Andy Dalton at QB. Certainly not all 4 anyway. Had some great defences when he was here. And I think he was much maligned as a QB. Burrow is clearly an element to winning these games, as he's a high level QB and can simply do more than most other QBs can. Even if it's only shown by 1-2 pass plays in a playoff game. 

Like you say, it isn't 'one or the other'. We win these games because of a mix of everything we have right now. Coach, QB, Defence etc etc. 
Reply/Quote
I had been heavily in the fire Zac side after his 1st 2 seasons but I'm in the he's a good coach now. My concern for him is still the offense. This defense is beyond special and probably the best one I've seen with this team ( but only been a fan since 2005 ). We are gonna start losing pieces and I don't think this offense will be good enough to win with out them. Not trying to be a downer just trying to look at it from a different perspective. I just think we have too much talent and the offense isn't that creative at times.
Reply/Quote