Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
One improvement?
I am not a fan of Allen as backup QB, however if Burrow goes down for the year like most teams our Super Bowl return possibility greatly diminishes.

I think interior OL. The guard positions and the center position were both issues in 2021. If we improve our starting interior line and the depth behind it ( we have a bunch of guys who gained experience and drafted a 4th round guard), I think our offense will have the ability to attack defenses both through the air and on the ground. The opposing DC would have to pick their poison, stop the run or stop the pass. Or play more vanilla and try and stop both which I think will be hard to do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I know this has been discussed before but I would still like to see J.C. Tretter brought in and move Karras to LG. Maybe the Bengals could get Tretter at a reasonable rate. He's not signed yet. That would be 5 seasoned vets on the O-line. The O-line would not be such a worry then. That in my eyes would greatly improve that 2 year window LeonardLeap is talking about.
Reply/Quote
Offensive Line.Preferably a versatile Veteran Offensive Lineman.
Reply/Quote
I want Richie Braham back or a stud center really
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
In today's NFL I think you have to go Oline or CB. The odds of all your starters in those positions starting every game are slim and the impact of a downgrade is huge. Giving up points, giving up sacks - those are game killers.

WR - get out. We're stacked for starters and if Burrow lives up to his potential he's a guy that will make a lot of money for average third and forth WRs.

QB2? - nah. Not a lot of backups who are going to win many games with this schedule at a cap friendly price. Wasting your one hypothetical improvement on a player you hope never sees the field makes no sense. Better to spend it on Oline and keep Burrow standing up.

DL - maybe. We saw an impact as Hendrickson got dinged up late last season. But we have backups with potential and hopefully they'll give us more of a rotation this year. Reader is solid. Are Topu and Hill ready to fill for Ogungobi? We'll see.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 04:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I want Richie Braham back or a stud center really

Richie Braham's son Noah just committed to WVU following in his father's footsteps... except Noah Braham is a linebacker lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 03:40 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Maybe the Bengals could get Tretter at a reasonable rate.  He's not signed yet. 

Riely Reiff was not signed until yesterday and he got $12.5 million.

Since Tretter can't practice on those rickety knees no need for him to sign this early in training camp.
Reply/Quote
I still say QB2. If Burrow goes down for a few games, no one on the oline, corner WR or anywhere else is going to matter. We need a better backup QB. Period.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 12:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Of course I agree with others about the backup QB position. Yet if Burrow goes down for more than a couple of games then the Bengals are probably going nowhere anyway.

If I could add one piece it would be a good RB to alleviate some of Mixon's workload without losing much in production all while featuring a two headed rushing attack.

Feel if Mixon had a season ending injury the Bengals would still be ok if this piece was added more so than trying to find someone who can't fill Burrows shoes anyway.

Know this is not an opinion anyone else shares, yet this is the move I would make while they're still in the window of opportunity.    

Believe it would make the Bengals offense unstoppable and the receivers would feast on the single coverage.

Still thinking Evans and Perine can get the job done but there are lots of talented RB's to be had, nice thought Go Cards. Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 01:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Interior Pass Rusher- Rirght now we have 0 depth behind BJ Hill.

I listened to an interview with DJ Reader, on NFL radio (maybe Friday afternoon?) anyway, Reader didn't seem overly concerned with the depth chart on the interior DL.  He seemed very high on the younger guys in the DL room.  Then again, why wouldn't he be excited about the guys that he's being the leadership example to?

Personally, I would improve the Bengals by adding a FB/H-back player.  But, that would involve having to modify the offensive game plan..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 01:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not a fan of Allen as backup QB, however if Burrow goes down for the year like most teams our Super Bowl return possibility greatly diminishes.

I think interior OL. The guard positions and the center position were both issues in 2021. If we improve our starting interior line and the depth behind it ( we have a bunch of guys who gained experience and drafted a 4th round guard), I think our offense will have the ability to attack defenses both through the air and on the ground. The opposing DC would have to pick their poison, stop the run or stop the pass. Or play more vanilla and try and stop both which I think will be hard to do.
I'd love it if the Bengals added Ereck Flowers and Trey Hopkins as veteran depth.
Flowers can play Guard well and he's better at OT than Isaiah Prince and probably D'Ante Smith if Jonah or Collins goes down.
Let Adeniji and either Hill or Prince go to make room for these guys.
The OL will instantly have great depth, IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2022, 03:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I listened to an interview with DJ Reader, on NFL radio (maybe Friday afternoon?) anyway, Reader didn't seem overly concerned with the depth chart on the interior DL.  He seemed very high on the younger guys in the DL room.  Then again, why wouldn't he be excited about the guys that he's being the leadership example to?

Personally, I would improve the Bengals by adding a FB/H-back player.  But, that would involve having to modify the offensive game plan..

8m excited about the potential of the young guys too but I still want to see another veteran body in there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2022, 01:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still thinking Evans and Perine can get the job done but there are lots of talented RB's to be had, nice thought Go Cards. Cool

As back ups I agree.  Don't hate them but if Mixon goes down I'm not sold that either are ready to shoulder the load. 

Feel that if Bengals can have an established rushing attack with Burrow and these WR's all year ?  

Then the offense will be a juggernaut and their SB chances soar by making defenses play them honest. 

Think Bengals are still formidable if Mixon gets hurt, but definitely missing some of their claws and will be a completely different team without him. 

Usually would not want to do this sort of greedy move but think the Bengals can go all in the next 2 seasons and would have loved to have seen this come to fruition. Plus see no way Mixon gets re-signed and need to search for a replacement, yet think that's still a year away so I understand the game plan. .Just worried they will run Joe so much he may not hold up throughout the year.  

Still stoked though, they basically the Bengals did everything I wanted in offseason except adding a stud RB. 

But everything else I wanted C, RG, RT that are run blockers were added. Thought they may get 2 of them but did not think they would get all 3.  Bates replacement in case he acted funny, got it too. 

I'm happy. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The staff is excited about Hayden Hurst. He’s a better receiving threat and more apt to produce bigger plays.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Running back. Mixon is a key part of the offense. At his age and mileage a young stud would be helpful.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2022, 04:25 PM)J24 Wrote: 8m excited about the potential of the young guys too but I still want to see another veteran body in there.

Where would another vet fit on the roster?  We're not keeping 6 DT's on the 53.  Sims and Carter are locks at 3 tech.  I realize Carter is a rookie, but they aren't cutting a rookie 3rd round pick.  Reader and Tupou are locks at NT and Shelvin is relatively safe as a 2nd year 4th round pick.  If you cut Shelvin and add another 3 tech, you're light at NT.  That's especially bad for a team that uses 3-4 looks at times.  Besides which, you can always slide a DE inside on passing downs.

Every team in the league is going to have to rely on rookies as 2nd string/rotation players.  I don't see the trepidation about Carter.    
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2022, 06:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: As back ups I agree.  Don't hate them but if Mixon goes down I'm not sold that either are ready to shoulder the load. 

Feel that if Bengals can have an established rushing attack with Burrow and these WR's all year ?  

Then the offense will be a juggernaut and their SB chances soar by making defenses play them honest. 

Think Bengals are still formidable if Mixon gets hurt, but definitely missing some of their claws and will be a completely different team without him. 

Usually would not want to do this sort of greedy move but think the Bengals can go all in the next 2 seasons and would have loved to have seen this come to fruition. Plus see no way Mixon gets re-signed and need to search for a replacement, yet think that's still a year away so I understand the game plan. .Just worried they will run Joe so much he may not hold up throughout the year.  

Still stoked though, they basically the Bengals did everything I wanted in offseason except adding a stud RB. 

But everything else I wanted C, RG, RT that are run blockers were added. Thought they may get 2 of them but did not think they would get all 3.  Bates replacement in case he acted funny, got it too. 

I'm happy. 

Not that I like the idea, because I don't want him hurt, but if Mixon gets hurt I think we'd see a lot of Chase on jet sweeps, end arounds, etc. JC used to be a running back, and he's probably the 2nd best RB on this team in addition to being #1 WR.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:34 AM)Whatever Wrote: Where would another vet fit on the roster?  We're not keeping 6 DT's on the 53.  Sims and Carter are locks at 3 tech.  I realize Carter is a rookie, but they aren't cutting a rookie 3rd round pick.  Reader and Tupou are locks at NT and Shelvin is relatively safe as a 2nd year 4th round pick.  If you cut Shelvin and add another 3 tech, you're light at NT.  That's especially bad for a team that uses 3-4 looks at times.  Besides which, you can always slide a DE inside on passing downs.

Every team in the league is going to have to rely on rookies as 2nd string/rotation players.  I don't see the trepidation about Carter.    
What happens if BJ Hill goes down for multiple  games; Who starts at 3T then? Do you really trust Carter to fill that rolel?

BJ the backup 3T  last year played more snaps for the season then both Tupou and Shelvin did combined  last season. 
That indicates to me that the backup 3T is a much more important position than 3rd string Nose tackle. 

Yes we can move an end into a 3T position on passing downs and two minute situations but what about 1st and 2nd downs and non two minute  situations. We need a guy that  Penetrate and provide  Pass rush for us on 1st and second downs to  keep  BJ fresh.

Further more we can easily keep 11 Dlinemen this year because only 4 LBers play usually play and Bachie figures to be on PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season. They could use a PS squad LB as a GameDay filler if needed to.

If Carter shows out in preseason and shows he can play right away then great but in all likelihood this season figures to be a redshirt year for him. Hill will likley need a true backup in that case.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 05:39 PM)J24 Wrote: What happens if BJ Hill goes down for multiple  games; Who starts at 3T then? Do you really trust Carter to fill that rolel?

BJ the backup 3T  last year played more snaps for the season then both Tupou and Shelvin did combined  last season. 
That indicates to me that the backup 3T is a much more important position than 3rd string Nose tackle. 

Yes we can move an end into a 3T position on passing downs and two minute situations but what about 1st and 2nd downs and non two minute  situations. We need a guy that  Penetrate and provide  Pass rush for us on 1st and second downs to  keep  BJ fresh.

Further more we can easily keep 11 Dlinemen this year because only 4 LBers play usually play and Bachie figures to be on PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season. They could use a PS squad LB as a GameDay filler if needed to.

If Carter shows out in preseason and shows he can play right away then great but in all likelihood this season figures to be a redshirt year for him. Hill will likley need a true backup in that case.

I'm more confident in Carter being able to fill in at 3 tech than Morgan being able to fill in for Chase, Perrine for Mixon, Anderson for Bell, Allen for Burrow, etc., etc.

Is it?  Or did Larry O play a bunch of NT in passing situations which necessitated Hill being on the field due to the lack of quality edge rushers?  Also keep in mind that there was a much bigger drop off from Reader to Tupou than Larry to BJ.  Finally, if 3 tech is more important, why do most 4-3 teams keep more NT's than 3 techs?

Ok, what happens if we cut Shelvin and Reader misses games?  Who spells Tupou?  It's the same quandary either way.  Difference is, you can sub an edge or a NT at 3 tech, but can only sub a 3 tech at NT.  

You're going to only keep 4 LB's when you typically have 2 on the field at a time to keep three 3 techs when you typically only have one on the field at a time?  It doesn't make much sense from a roster composition standpoint, nor a ST's standpoint.  You can also call up a PS 3 tech if needed.  

That's partly what TC is for, evaluating young players.  Why prioritize knocking a rookie 3rd round pick down the depth chart over second stringers that have been here for years and proven to not be good position players?
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2022, 04:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd love it if the Bengals added Ereck Flowers and Trey Hopkins as veteran depth.
Flowers can play Guard well and he's better at OT than Isaiah Prince and probably D'Ante Smith if Jonah or Collins goes down.
Let Adeniji and either Hill or Prince go to make room for these guys.
The OL will instantly have great depth, IMO.

Approve of this post big time. Bringing in Flowers and bringing Hop back would be fantastic moves for this team.

(08-01-2022, 06:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: As back ups I agree.  Don't hate them but if Mixon goes down I'm not sold that either are ready to shoulder the load. 

I'm happy. 

Yes, I have never had an Offseason like this one where I am happy with every single move and every single addition.

There is always some so called starter that I don't think should be starting every year. 

This year it is depth that is the only concern in my eyes. If we can add Flowers and Hop like Ocho said and a vet stud 
RB it would be the cherry on top honestly for me. Until I see Zach Carter not being the answer at backup 3-tech I won't
be concerned there, haven't heard anything yet about him good or bad. Will assume he is practicing well.

(08-02-2022, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not that I like the idea, because I don't want him hurt, but if Mixon gets hurt I think we'd see a lot of Chase on jet sweeps, end arounds, etc. JC used to be a running back, and he's probably the 2nd best RB on this team in addition to being #1 WR.

Chase is a crazy player, he is so tough that this honestly isn't an absurd thought.

He broke that weird ass curse of our 1st round rookies getting hurt every year for heck sake.

Chase has great balance and vision for a WR with break away speed. He could very well play RB like the 49ers use Deebo
and he could be great in doing so just the same.
Reply/Quote