Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of these four may fall...
If one of these four fell to the Bengals at #21, which one would you want? (Sorry, not good at polls, and I want to read the rationale as to why you chose a player).

I think this is all a moot point if McGlinchey falls, but I am guessing he will be long gone and it will be one of these four that falls. Also, it sounds like some teams have failed Leighton Vander Esche in their physical. Could be agent-fueled rumors, but the Bengals need to be very careful there and I think he might slide out of Rd 1 if the rumors are true. I think some teams will look at the Super Bowl offenses and go after TEs and WRs that aren't rated as high right now, allowing one of these to slide.

James Derwin, S

Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S

Roquan Smith, LB

Tremaine Edmunds, LB

My choice is James Derwin. He is an outstanding athlete that wasn't surrounded by crazy talent compared to their competition lending to big play opportunitites (Fitzpatrick). Although Edmunds might be the best athlete in the entire draft, he simply doesn't have the instincts and I think he might be fooled more at the pro level. He was fooled on misdirection plenty in college, but he had the speed to cover it. I like, but don't love Roquan Smith. He is very quick and instinctive, but I don't want to have an undersized LB at pick #21.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 08:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If one of these four fell to the Bengals at #21, which one would you want?  (Sorry, not good at polls, and I want to read the rationale as to why you chose a player).

I think this is all a moot point if McGlinchey falls, but I am guessing he will be long gone and it will be one of these four that falls.  Also, it sounds like some teams have failed Leighton Vander Esche in their physical.  Could be agent-fueled rumors, but the Bengals need to be very careful there and I think he might slide out of Rd 1 if the rumors are true. I think some teams will look at the Super Bowl offenses and go after TEs and WRs that aren't rated as high right now, allowing one of these to slide.  

James Derwin, S

Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S

Roquan Smith, LB

Tremaine Edmunds, LB

My choice is James Derwin.  He is an outstanding athlete that wasn't surrounded by crazy talent compared to their competition lending to big play opportunitites (Fitzpatrick).  Although Edmunds might be the best athlete in the entire draft, he simply doesn't have the instincts and I think he might be fooled more at the pro level.  He was fooled on misdirection plenty in college, but he had the speed to cover it.  I like, but don't love Roquan Smith.  He is very quick and instinctive, but I don't want to have an undersized LB at pick #21.
I know there is a never say never mentality with oh a player won't be there but in this case? None of these players will be there. Especially James. I would bet a lot that James dosent make it past the Packers. Edmunds is a bonafide lock top 10. Minkah dosent make it past the raiders pick. The only one I could see falling is Smith. And I don't want a lber rd1. 
Reply/Quote
As I've said for a while now, the one I could see falling from top 10 lock is Denzel ward
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 08:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If one of these four fell to the Bengals at #21, which one would you want?  (Sorry, not good at polls, and I want to read the rationale as to why you chose a player).

I think this is all a moot point if McGlinchey falls, but I am guessing he will be long gone and it will be one of these four that falls.  Also, it sounds like some teams have failed Leighton Vander Esche in their physical.  Could be agent-fueled rumors, but the Bengals need to be very careful there and I think he might slide out of Rd 1 if the rumors are true. I think some teams will look at the Super Bowl offenses and go after TEs and WRs that aren't rated as high right now, allowing one of these to slide.  

James Derwin, S

Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S

Roquan Smith, LB

Tremaine Edmunds, LB

My choice is James Derwin.  He is an outstanding athlete that wasn't surrounded by crazy talent compared to their competition lending to big play opportunitites (Fitzpatrick).  Although Edmunds might be the best athlete in the entire draft, he simply doesn't have the instincts and I think he might be fooled more at the pro level.  He was fooled on misdirection plenty in college, but he had the speed to cover it.  I like, but don't love Roquan Smith.  He is very quick and instinctive, but I don't want to have an undersized LB at pick #21.

I don't see any way Tremaine drops. I would say with his age and athleticism, he'll be gone way before top 20. Of the four, I think James has the highest probability of falling and would be sprinting to the podium in a frantic race
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

James Derwin, S

Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S

Roquan Smith, LB

Tremaine Edmunds, LB

I'd welcome any of them, but I'd "most" love Roquan Smith or Minkah Fitzpatrick. They are the most NFL-ready. James and Edmunds may have the higher ceilings but they are not as polished right now. Out of the Smith and Fitzpatrick, Smith would be more of a need but Fitzpatrick IMO is my top prospect out of the four.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

James Derwin, S

Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S

Roquan Smith, LB

Tremaine Edmunds, LB

I'd be thrilled with any of these guys. My list would be Derwin, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, Smith, but I'd considered moving Fitzpatrick down another spot. If that many teams have passed him over it'd mean he's too much of a tweener for CB or S.
Reply/Quote
I'd take Roquan Smith all day. He is an elite playmaker at LB.

Edmunds may have more athletic upside, but Smith is the better player at this stage and doesn't need to develop the instincts and recognition that Edmunds does.

Smith is a hair worse as an athlete (though he doesn't have the physical size that Edmunds does) but is significantly more advanced at "being a Linebacker" so I think I'd take Smith over Edmunds.

It'd be close though.

The two safeties. Eh. Maybe I'm falling into the Marvin Lewis trap, but I think an elite LB is more important than an elite safety.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 10:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd take Roquan Smith all day. He is an elite playmaker at LB.

Edmunds may have more athletic upside, but Smith is the better player at this stage and doesn't need to develop the instincts and recognition that Edmunds does.

Smith is a hair worse as an athlete (though he doesn't have the physical size that Edmunds does) but is significantly more advanced at "being a Linebacker" so I think I'd take Smith over Edmunds.

It'd be close though.

The two safeties. Eh. Maybe I'm falling into the Marvin Lewis trap, but I think an elite LB is more important than an elite safety.
I gotta agree with everything you have said!  
Reply/Quote
None of those guys get past 15
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 10:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd take Roquan Smith all day. He is an elite playmaker at LB.

It'd be close though.

This is an excellent point.  We have all seen the dramatic drop off in defensive production when Burfict is not on the field.  Can a safety impact the team unless he plays nickelbacker as much as a player like Roquan Smith?  Is the improvement of an athlete like Derwin enough to bump Shawn Williams out of the lineup?  Remember, this is Marv we are talking about.  

You might have changed my mind.  I guess I am just not as high on the player, Smith, as many others.  I would rather get our C and RT early and then maybe get Shaq Griffen in the 3rd, or maybe you have to package a 5th with your third to move up to get him.  It isn't just a great story, I love the way that kid plays the game.  His twin playing safety for Seattle last year at a high level also bodes well for him.  He is the only guy that will make me go buy a jersey (with his number on it)
Reply/Quote

It'd be close though.

I’m with you on LB over safety, but I’ll take Edmunds over Smith based on size and potential. Smith is likely a WILL backer while Edmunds could play any of the three spots (hopefully MLB and put an end to our revolving door at the position). We already have Burfict at WILL and that is the easiest spot to find a LB to play well for us. If its my choice I’d rather have the star potential at MLB instead of another WLB which we already have several of
Reply/Quote

James Derwin, S

Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S

Roquan Smith, LB

Tremaine Edmunds, LB

Let's see if I could put my Mikey Brown thought antenna on to see what he's think about on this.

Here comes Mikey Brown's thought on this dilemma. Get ready for some crazy thinking.

Mikey thinks, "you say some teams have failed Leighton Vander Esche in their physical. Well, that is intriguing. We could draft him at 21, then put him on the Pup list and claim he owes us an extra year on the backend of his contract to force him to stay one more. I could save some money in 5 years."

Mikey thinks, "Hum, Fitzpatrick is there. Oooo, that means I don't have to try and sign Dennard to play the slot. I could save some money. But what if Fitzpatrick out plays Williams. Oh, then I'd look dumb once again for signing Williams for more money instead of keeping Nelson. Oh, can't do that."

Mikey thinks, "LBers, LBers, I keep drafting LBers lately and the only one that's any good is the one that we didn't draft and signed as a rookie free agent. Bah, I hate drafting LBers. I'll just make Marv find one later."

Mikey thinks, "You know my people say all four of these guys would be gone for sure. Other teams must know something we don't. Yeah, that's it. We'll draft the safe pick and take Leighton Vander Esche. Thats safe. We'll just say 'injuries happen' or 'God hates us' or something and blame it on devine intervention."

You gotta know that's how ol' Mikey boy thinks. I just couldn't help but make fun of him.

As others have said, none of these four will be there and hopefully they'll be help push McGlinchey down to us at 21.

Reply/Quote
Out of these 4 no doubt take Edmunds. Unless something terrible happens within the next week and a half there is a 0% chance he would fall to 21. He wont even make it to the old pick at 12. I think its very unlikely any of them are there at 21. The only one of those 4 that I think could possibly fall would be Roquan. He is smallish and some teams are worried in regards to medical. If Roquan is there at #21 I turn that card in with a big smile. Odds of any of them being there are very minute. Id say 0% on Edmunds. 0% on Minkah. 2% on Derwin and 4% on Roquan.
Reply/Quote
If all 4 are there then you draft Smith end of story. I don't see any of those guys lasting past 10 though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I would say Edmunds. His ceiling is just crazy.

I have hopes for Vigil and Evans. But thats not gonna stop me from drafting a LB that could make our unit elite.

Roquan is safer. Edmunds could be the next best LB in the league. Swing for the fences.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 09:02 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’m with you on LB over safety, but I’ll take Edmunds over Smith based on size and potential. Smith is likely a WILL backer while Edmunds could play any of the three spots (hopefully MLB and put an end to our revolving door at the position). We already have Burfict at WILL and that is the easiest spot to find a LB to play well for us. If its my choice I’d rather have the star potential at MLB instead of another WLB which we already have several of

Another great point.  That is why I was leaning a bit to Vander Esche before these injury (failed physicals) started to become apparent. 

If none of these four fall, and we go the route of OT and C with our first two picks, although I really like Shaq Griffin as a future WILL and nickel backer for us, Josey Jewell is a very solid prospect at MLB from Iowa that could be a nice selection in the third round.  Completely agree about the revolving door at MLB.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 12:00 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: None of those guys get past 15

With all due respect, you don't know that.  And the point of the thread was to ask (or rate) four very highly rated players against one another and ask who fans would most like to see in stripes.

Last year, one LB was taken before selection #21.  ONE.  We all thought Reuben Foster was a bonafide top 10 pick, and he went #31.

I didn't see Corey Davis going at #5, Mike Williams at #7, or McCaffery going at #8, but teams always fall in love with the model of the two teams that just participated in the Super Bowl.  New England and Atlanta.  High-powered offenses.  The same with last year, pats and eagles.  I am just saying that it could happen and it was interesting to get (almost) everyone's take on who they prefer. 
Reply/Quote
Not a single 1 is gonna fall to 21 regardless of what justification u can whip up....with all do respect of course
Reply/Quote
I would gladly take any of these guys, but agree that they probably won't make it to 21. Would probably have to go with one of the LBs since this is a deeper safety class. Although I'm a little leery of the LBs, as Smith reminds me a little of Keith Rivers (talented and productive in college, but a little undersized to shine in the NFL) and Edmunds of Vernon Gholston (off-the-charts athleticism but lacking in instincts). That's worst-case scenario, of course, not a prediction ....

The latest scuttlebutt is that Fitzpatrick may fall due to the "tweener" label, similar to Peppers last year. I think Fitzpatrick can play either FS or CB, though, and would love to have him on our team, as we really need a coverage safety. I see him as a bigger Earl Thomas (best case scenario ...).

Regardless, if any one of these guys are at 21 I think we have to take him.
Reply/Quote
I'm actually seeing mocks, where McGlinchey is there and we take him. The latest is Daniel Jeremiah's mock.
Reply/Quote