Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One penalty.
(09-17-2020, 11:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, you're right Fred...sacks occur so often when you are running the ball.  

A negative run play is the same thing as a sack, hence why analytics treat TFL same as a sack. I believe they had 3, so essentially running created the same amount of negative outcomes as sacks did.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:07 PM)Synric Wrote: Im not a fan. The scripted plays were ugly especially the pitches that had a ton of moving parts. I don't mind mixing in pitches but opening with your first two runs that way meh. Zac used empty sets early on first/second downs OFTEN with zero motion. Also I didn't like the tempo and constant shifting of personnel which allowed the Chargers defense to stay fresh. 

To me it looked more like week 1 or 2 of the pre-season.

Well, it kinda was.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 11:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well, it kinda was.....

Yes, it kinda was.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I don't believe in curses... but I gotta say, sometimes you do have to wonder.

We march down the field in a two-minute drill with no timeouts.  Incredible effort led by a rookie QB.  But of course AJ gets called on a ticky-tack OPI.  And as soon as they trotted Bullock out for a field goal, I said to my dad, "He'll miss."  And not only did Bullock miss, he blew out his leg in doing so!  Even when we fans think we can call this shit, the universe still finds a way to twist the knife.

Who else does this sort of shit happen to?  The Browns, maybe?  Our kicker hurts himself doing the one thing he's paid to do.  What a profoundly stupid way to lose a game.

The curse of Bo Jackson is real..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 11:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: The curse of Bo Jackson is real..... Ninja

If we offer him a job as a coach or something, does it break said curse?

Other then offering up the hip of a RB as sacrifice I'm not sure what to do for breaking this one.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: A negative run play is the same thing as a sack, hence why analytics treat TFL same as a sack. I believe they had 3, so essentially running created the same amount of negative outcomes as sacks did.

This is going nowhere.  You honestly believe that the three sacks did the same damage as three negative running plays.  Fine.  The point I was trying unsuccessfully to make was that if you came out running the ball you play away from the strength (the pass rush) and the biggest weakness of the offensive line (pass blocking) and MAYBE get the offensive line going a bit.  

I would be willing to bet the Browns come out pounding the ball against the Bengals tonight.  Instead of getting Baker off on a bad foot, firing up the defense, and maybe even causing an interception.  We will see.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:57 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I'm all for being positive, and usually I am on this board (relative to some others).

But I remember after the Seattle game last year we were all like "sure we lost but there are so many positives from the game, we'll be solid this year."

And look what happened. All I'm saying is that I'm going to reserve any judgement until this Friday morning (sleep it off and cool down either way) at the earliest.

Everyone is overreacting to the Browns loss last week. They lost to the Ravens who are the class of the division. They were able to run the ball on the Ravens, but since they were behind big early, had to pass more. I don't see the Bengals jumping out to any big leads, so the Browns will be able to run the ball more. This will be a huge test for the linebackers and I just don't see them being able to stop Hunt and Chubb. 

I still don't trust the offensive line, and, if I am the Browns I make Joe Burrow beat me. I'd load up the box to stop Mixon and see if Burrow has what it takes when facing a lot of pressure. This may be an area the Bengals can expose if they can give Burrow time. 

I am treating this game like preseason game #2. I'm not going to go nuts if Burrow and the Bengals look like crap. I'd like to see an improvement from last week though. Of course, I'd take a win even if they look like crap. Not to be Captain Obvious, but a win tonight would be absolutely huge. 
Reply/Quote
The empty sets early in the game on first and second down is what gets me.

Second drive - RPO slant to AJ first down. Screen to Sample 8 yards. Outside Zone with Mixon taking the backside gap 6 yards 1st down....Empty Set 5 wide on first down 15 yard sack kills drive. Why take the threat of Mixon off the field 0-0 first quarter no play action no extra blocker if needed or chipping.

Third drive. Open with empty set pressure Burrow flips it to Mixon but incomplete. Outside zone XSF misses second level block no gain. Pressure on 3rd down tries to flip to Mixon again incomplete.

Second half playcalling was alot better than the early scripted plays. Inside zone running and extra protection against the Chargers edge guys. Joe missed a couple deep passes, AJ ran a bad route that would have been a TD, then the OPI, and missed field goal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 11:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, you're right Fred...sacks occur so often when you are running the ball.  

You still don't get the difference between complaining about scheme and complaining about execution.

If a play does not work you blame it on the play call instead of the execution of the player.

Since Bengals could not run or pass in the first half I guess you would suggest they punt on every play, right?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:09 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I still don't trust the offensive line, and, if I am the Browns I make Joe Burrow beat me. I'd load up the box to stop Mixon and see if Burrow has what it takes when facing a lot of pressure. This may be an area the Bengals can expose if they can give Burrow time. 

Given that their starting corners are out, Burrow to Green ought to be there all night long....
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You still don't get the difference between complaining about scheme and complaining about execution.

If a play does not work you blame it on the play call instead of the execution of the player.

Since Bengals could not run or pass in the first half I guess you would suggest they punt on every play, right?

I'm guessing your ignorance here is a part of the reason you have never been a coach.  It is called putting your players in the best position to be successful.  You do it at all levels.  It isn't that surprising that the execution fails when you take your biggest weakness and lay it down time and time in front of your opponent's biggest strength.  Thank God you are just a contrarian on here and not an actual coach of anything.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 03:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Given that their starting corners are out, Burrow to Green ought to be there all night long....

This is huge. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 03:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote:   It isn't that surprising that the execution fails when you take your biggest weakness and lay it down time and time in front of your opponent's biggest strength. 

Bengals averaged more per pass play than Joe Mixon averaged per carry.

You have no idea if our offense would have been more effective with Mixon running on every first down.  He only averaged 3.6 per carry for the game, plus Burrow started the game completing his first three passes on first down.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals averaged more per pass play than Joe Mixon averaged per carry.

You have no idea if our offense would have been more effective with Mixon running on every first down.  He only averaged 3.6 per carry for the game, plus Burrow started the game completing his first three passes on first down.

Interesting you singled out Mixon since it makes your weak argument factually correct.  They actually averaged LESS per pass play than they did when Burrow and Gio rushed.  

And just because I can't see the future doesn't mean you can't look at strengths and weaknesses and game plan accordingly.  

ZT got 13 points against a Charger team that was missing Derwin James.  The Ratbirds put 38 points on the Browns.  We will see what ZT can do.  Let's hope it is a MUCH smarter plan than last week's.  
Reply/Quote