Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety
Our backup S have both looked good so far now starters in Smith, Fedelem. I have heard Shaw moving over as a backup. Are we concerned that pre season wont matter once the games count meaning our corners and linebackers going to have less margin for error due to potential bad S play. I'm encouraged so far. You just won't know until the regular season hits.
Reply/Quote
I think that Williams was good against the run and struggled against the pass...so the dropoff from the him to the backups might not be that far.
Reply/Quote
I've always been a big fan of Shaw and think he could look good at the safety position. He's played there in college and in the NFL.

Many people like Derron Smith (me included) and Fej has seemed to become a favorite among board members.

I think we're fine when it comes to safety. Sure, it will take a step back because I don't seen any of them being as hard a hitter as Williams, but these guys are young and bring their own style.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Safeties seem to get called for penalties on hard hits anyways.
Reply/Quote
Our CB depth looks solid (I think K Russel will have a breakout year) so we can afford to slide Josh Shaw to safety.

I think he will excel in coverage and still has the pop to stop the run when needed.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
With 2 preseason games remaining, I think it gives Smith and Fej great opportunities to show what they got. I also like the idea of Shaw sliding to safety. I know it's preseason, but I think WJ3 is looking good at corner. I think we're set enough at corner that seeing what Shaw does at safety will be great.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't forget D Cox. He had two more defensed passes Sat night against KC. Kid is looking much better than I thought he would.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:15 AM)Shady Wrote: Don't forget D Cox. He had two more defensed passes Sat night against KC. Kid is looking much better than I thought he would.

Can play CB too. I like him as a depth player.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Somebody call tom nelson...

j/k
Reply/Quote
With Derron Smith and Shawn Williams ahead of him on the depth chart, Fej wasn't going to get too much of a look at Safety . However, injuries to both (Smith is back but seems to always be injured), the door has opened.

I supported the signing of Shawn with a second contract, and although he struggled early last year, I felt that we saw signs of improvement.

What I like best about Fej, from when I scouted him at Illinois is he is a flat-out tackling machine. He doesn't whiff on tackles, and the guy stood out on a porous Illinois defense that had minimal pass rush. I thought he was a LB when I first watched him because of the number of tackles he made near the LOS.

I am going to put myself out there: If Fej gets a pick in Week 1 against the Ravens, or has some other big play...like a forced fumbled that gets picked up for a TD, I am buying his jersey.

Maybe that is rationalizing because he is already "my guy", but I think he knows what a rare chance this is for him and he is going to make the most of it.
Reply/Quote
Have always been a fan of Smith and thought he should have gotten more play last season.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Until the #1 offense can score a TD and the #1 defense can start some 3 and outs now and then and stop the opposing #1 offense from moving the ball at will, I will stay pessimistic.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 12:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Somebody call tom nelson...

j/k

He was still damn good in coverage and a WILLING tackler; just too small.

Fejedelem doing well would put a huge smile on my face, but I think this may be Derron's chance to show his ballhawking skills.

Small like Nelson, but like Nelson, willing tackler and great in coverage.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote