Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One thing ZT is missing in copying the Rams model
(05-12-2019, 08:53 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Who says the Bengals are trying to become the Rams? I am sure they are looking to the Rams as a part of their offensive philosophy but I am pretty sure that Taylor is going to create his own offense that is taken from the influence of many coaches that he has worked with. I do not at all believe that he is basing his influence solely off his influence with the Rams.

I was listening to Paul Alexander's weekly segment on Sirius xm nfl radio today.  He was breaking down different types of nfl offenses.  When he got to the Rams he said the next like is the bengals.  He said something to the effect if inside information telling him its the same playbook and same verbiage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 06:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I was listening to Paul Alexander's weekly segment on Sirius xm nfl radio today.  He was breaking down different types of nfl offenses.  When he got to the Rams he said the next like is the bengals.  He said something to the effect if inside information telling him its the same playbook and same verbiage.

No doubt. And it's good to copy the Rams. They have a hot offense now and we have a RB like Gurley with Mixon.

Like Taylor would copy the guy who got fired as the Dolphins HC's offense. Or The Texas A&M Offense that was 25-25 under Mike Sherman. Or his terrible U of Cincy offense.

Of course, the Rams are who we'll copy.

The fans on this board want to make the Bengals sound innovative. Yeah keeping a HC for 15 years is really a sign of an innovative team.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My overall point is that people attribute the Rams turning things around to getting rid of Fisher and replacing him with McVay...like that was the only variable changed. The also brought in 4 REALLY GOOD players that upgraded positions of need in free agency/trades.

We have changed out Marvin in favor of Taylor...and didn't add those free agents to upgrade positions.

Now hear this,barring major injury and that is always a very big issue on every team,we are going to be surprising teams that play us.I do believe we will go as far as Dalton can take us as he is the man running the offense.If he plays at a much higher level than last year I say we win 9 games and are a wild card team.I do believe the stoolers will take the division as they are always putting together a team that pushes for playoffs. I see us losing to the hawks and the stoolers on Monday night at their joint.After that we will go on a killer mission.Dalton has to play a ton better and if doesn't look for Finlay to be on the field running the offense.I hope ZT is smart enough to play these rooks as they are better than what we have and I think they will be very good. I am excited to see the product on the field come Pre-Season.Stay positive people, marvin is GONE AND ALL HIS CROONIES. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My overall point is that people attribute the Rams turning things around to getting rid of Fisher and replacing him with McVay...like that was the only variable changed. The also brought in 4 REALLY GOOD players that upgraded positions of need in free agency/trades.

We have changed out Marvin in favor of Taylor...and didn't add those free agents to upgrade positions.

I guess that is an issue if you believe in building thru free agency. For every signing that you could point to as absolutely moving a team forward you could probably show three that were miserable failures.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 06:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I was listening to Paul Alexander's weekly segment on Sirius xm nfl radio today.  He was breaking down different types of nfl offenses.  When he got to the Rams he said the next like is the bengals.  He said something to the effect if inside information telling him its the same playbook and same verbiage.

Same playbook would not be very smart now would it?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 08:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Same playbook would not be very smart now would it?

I don’t know, ask him. He didn’t say they would be running the same plays or that additions or tweaks weren’t being added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 10:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Where was the value in spending on guys like Hart, Miller, and Webb? It's not like we signed them for $2-3 million a year.

We arguably overpaid all 3 of them.

So we spent a couple mil a year more on each of them than they might be worth...possibly.  We didn't spend 15 mil a year on anybody because there was nobody worth that.  Big difference.  And still blows up your argument. 

We didn't have one missing piece.  We had a few missing pieces.  And they weren't out there in FA.

So, to recap--not copying the Rams, employing principles used by the Rams, among others.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 09:47 PM)McC Wrote: So we spent a couple mil a year more on each of them than they might be worth...possibly.  We didn't spend 15 mil a year on anybody because there was nobody worth that.  Big difference.  And still blows up your argument. 

We didn't have one missing piece.  We had a few missing pieces.  And they weren't out there in FA.

So, to recap--not copying the Rams, employing principles used by the Rams, among others.

Oh there were actual free agents out there that would have made the team better. Had we signed one of them, the homers would have been going wild.

Instead you get Hart, Miller, and Webb and people rationalize how it was good moves.

Status Quo.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People love him because we drafted him. Just like Sample.

Another complete lie.  You have been on a real roll with these lately.

The Draft Forum is full of guys loving Pratt BEFORE the draft.  Mnay would have been fin with us taking him a round earlier (Nate, SadFacedBengal15, Wyche, Synric, TKHUL, Bfine32)
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 04:03 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: On the 63rd ranked college defense.  And NC State doesn't play many powerhouse teams like the SEC. Did he have any other competition out there making tackles? He was the only defensive player selected from NC State.  Just about every college draft analysis had 2 LBs as day 1 starters: Devin Bush and Devin White.

We needed a LB, and I like our pick since both of those guys were gone. But give the guy a little room for error. Like what I originally stated... he starts most likely because we are bad at LB. He probably has some issues with run defense.. give him some time to grow into a NFL caliber starter.

They played Syracuse, BC, Virginia, WVU, Clemson, South Carolina, and A&M in their bowl.  Agree though, he'll need to grow some, but with the way the rest of our LBs played, let him grow on the field....lol.

EDIT: WVU game was cancelled.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 07:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I've read multiple times how the Bengals are drafting to become the Rams. Sample - a blocking TE in Round 2. A physical team I keep hearing. And perhaps we are.

I also see Marvin being compared to Jeff Fisher and how Fisher left and McVay came in the Rams started winning. Like McVay came in, inherited the same exact Roster and started winning...which isn't accurate.

Well...the Rams also added some really good players in free agency.

Before McVay's 1st year they added: Whitworth and Sullivan on the offensive line. The line was a big issue for the Rams in Fishers tenure.
They added Kayvon Webster at QB. Robert Woods at WR. They traded for Watkins at WR.

IF you added 2 quality offensive lineman to the Bengals roster and a couple good WR's and a decent CB...WOW.

The Bengals added Hart, Miller, and Webb as external free agents. None of which are major upgrades. We did also retain some of our own as the Rams did.

Then, the next year they added Suh, Easley, and Ramik Wilson.

Draft: I'm sure I'll hear people counter the well the Bengals added Jonah Williams via the draft. And we did. But, the Rams draft too. Hilarious

In 2017, they added Gerald Everett and Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds at WR.

So yes....every team adds talent through the draft. The difference seems to be free agency.

While I do think McVay is very smart, he also had a better roster to work with than Fisher did due to free agency additions.

I have heard this referenced about us becoming the Rams, i don't think this is the case as i think Taylor is just using his experience with the Rams and bringing THAT here. We already have a couple really good Receivers in AJ Green and Tyler Boyd, we also have Ross who might blow up soon enough and be a good one. We DID add Jonah Williams in the Draft, the best OT in the Draft. John Miller and Hart in FA and while i was not thrilled with this FA it did enough maybe.

Brought in Pratt to fill that cover LB weakness, added Sample to help out the O-line, Dalton and our very talented RB in Mixon.

We might not be as far off as you allude Pistons especially if the coaching is better then last year which i bet it is especially on the Defensive side. Adding Jonah and Miller helps out Turner and Price should be much better in his sophomore year at Center.

Having an offensive minded coach instead of a defensive minded one helps the Offense right there.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter what his plan is no coach would be happy with the free agent's we signed this year.

But I am hoping he is looking long term and the Bengals and next year the Bengals will have an offseason more like 2018.

See...it looks like you weren't happy with free agency either Fred?

I looked and we're projected to have about $37 million cap space next year which is 17th most in the league. I would have thought that this would be the year to sign a couple upgrades...but it's possible to waive guys like Hart to create more space.
Reply/Quote
Man...so we are in the 0-4 blah of the Bengals...

But, Imagine IF they added the same talent that the Rams did when they hired McVay. The added 2-3 quality free agents each year.

Imagine IF we added a Guard like Saffold. A LB like Jordan Hicks. Another LB like LJ Fort.

Our line right now would be: Hart/Miller/Hopkins/Saffold/Smith - Not great, but the 3 inside guys would be above average.

Then Hicks at LB would be able to cover and Fort could compete for a starting spot.

What a blown opportunity to recharge the fanbase!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Man...so we are in the 0-4 blah of the Bengals...

But, Imagine IF they added the same talent that the Rams did when they hired McVay. The added 2-3 quality free agents each year.

Imagine IF we added a Guard like Saffold. A LB like Jordan Hicks. Another LB like LJ Fort.

Our line right now would be: Hart/Miller/Hopkins/Saffold/Smith - Not great, but the 3 inside guys would be above average.

Then Hicks at LB would be able to cover and Fort could compete for a starting spot.

What a blown opportunity to recharge the fanbase!

At settling for 4 yr/$44M, Saffold would have been a hard sell at Guard for this front office in free agency.  Now, the LBs I agree with whole heartedly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At settling for 4 yr/$44M, Saffold would have been a hard sell at Guard for this front office in free agency.  Now, the LBs I agree with whole heartedly.

re: LB - There are good LB's every year in free agency. It's basically IF you want a good one, you just have to pay them.

re: Saffold - They're essentially paying Dennard to not play. Glenn is paid a lot and might not play. Eifert has produced very little. Yeah $10 million is a lot for a Guard, but having a bad offensive line sucks.
Reply/Quote
So far the only thing that seems to be missing is the dates of the records. 2019 seems to be encapsulated from the 1991-1999 seasons with a 43-101 record. I can see a craptacular 3 win season in the making although it'll probably be a 2 win season if we're lucky. Maybe he's trying to model them after Dick LeBeau's craptacular 2002 season! 
Maybe the FO will splurge and sign someone to an astonishing $3.97 contract to play LT! Guards might not make as much though..maybe $2.34 per and use the savings to upgrade Mike Brown's golf cart!  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The major thing LA has over us offensively, a good O-Line.
Reply/Quote
Hey look at that, Pistons necro’d another one of his redundant threads!

Color me shocked.

Reply/Quote