Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One thing about the Reds that has bugged me for 25 years
Why did they think it was a good idea to get rid of World Series Champion pedigree manager Davey Johnson after back to back 1st place finishes for what appears to be to just give the job to unproven manager Ray Knight? 

Well, I just looked on wikipedia about Johnson's tenure in Cincinnati and never knew this . . .
Quote:After more than two seasons out of baseball, the Cincinnati Reds hired Johnson 44 games into the 1993 season. As was the case with the Mets, Johnson revived the Reds almost immediately. He led the team to the National League Central lead at the time of the 1994 players' strike and won the first official NL Central title in 1995. However, early in the 1995 season, Reds owner Marge Schott announced Johnson would not return in 1996, regardless of how the Reds did. Schott named former Reds third baseman Ray Knight (who had played for Johnson on the Mets championship team) as bench coach, with the understanding that he would take over as manager in 1996.

Johnson and Schott had never gotten along, and relations had deteriorated to the point that he had nearly been fired after the 1994 season. By most accounts, the final straw came because Schott did not approve of Johnson living with his fiancée Susan before they were married. According to The Washington Post, Schott had decided before the 1995 season even started that it would be Johnson's last one in Cincinnati. Johnson finished with a record of 204 wins and 172 losses in the regular season and three wins and four losses in the post-season.
That is an embarrassingly stupid reason to get rid of a successful manager. I don't know what else they argued about but I'll guess it was pretty ridiculous.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
C'mon..you mean you don't miss old Nazi Marge?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, they ran Frank Robinson out of town for having a white girlfriend, so this is pretty on point for their social views, or at least their historical social views.
Reply/Quote
Reds were always conservative. No facial hair for a long time. Reds could have signed Rollie Fingers in 1986 but he chose to retire when the Reds told him he would have to shave his signature mustache,
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote