Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One thing cost us that game
(10-15-2018, 03:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A typical play takes 5-7 seconds. 7 x 8 = 56 seconds. There was over a minute left on the clock when they scored...

That is either an incomplete pass or a play out of bounds.  When you get close to the goal line you need the option to run the ball.
Reply/Quote
We've put ourselves in this situation many times before and a few of the times the D has come through with an INT. The lack of pressure from the D made this a no-win scenario.

I wouldn't dwell on it for too long.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the dumbest article I have seen in my life.  It tells exactly how to run the clock when you know exactly what is going to happen on every plan.  Anyone can look like a coaching genius when they know exactly what is going to happen.

The fact is that if the Bengals had started milking the clock on the second play of the drive way back in their own territory the crowd would have started booing.  

Even when we had first and ten at the Pitt 11 it could have taken us 8 plays to get into the end zone.  Even with 2 timeouts we had to be careful with the clock.

Yeah it was an extreme article, and I've been being overly emotional and reacting without thinking it through.

I do believe though that we could have worked the clock down a little at the end of the drive.  As bad as the defense was playing we didn't need to give them the time to mount a drive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There is not one single team that tries to score as fast as they can at the end of the game. Not one. 

The pace is determined by field position + time + timeouts left. Every team tries to score, but you always try to score as late as possible.

Plus deficit. If a team is down by more than a score, you better believe they’re trying to score as fast as possible. You’re more methodical when down by a FG or less vs a TD.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yes, but you don't put the cart before the horse. The goal was to score the go-ahead TD. They did that. Maybe we should look at other areas that could of lend a hand to this loss?

0 pressures, hits or sacks. ZERO!!

No turnovers
491 yards allowed
8-14 3rd down conversions 
12 missed tackles TWELVE!!

I am not going to get bent out of shape over a few seconds the offense didn't take away from a suspect D 

This.  Is scoring too fast ONE OF the reasons?  Yes, an argument can be made for that.  Is it THE reason we lost? No....emphatically no.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually when you need a TD you take it when you can get it.

Everyone claims to be an expert when the plays are over and they know what happened, but Sunday we had no idea how many plays it would take us to score.  And we did not want to be in a goal line situation without enough time to call running plays.

We had scored ZERO points the entire second half and we have people here claiming we should have throttled down the offense to make sure we did not score to quickly.

When that drive started i had every confidence that they would go down and score. Not one single doubt. After they crossed the 50, i started talking to the tv...yelling at Fouts that they didn't need to run another play before the 2 minute warning, telling them to slow down, wondering out loud why they were snapping the ball so soon and then saying what a dumb thing to run a crossing pattern to the sideline and go out of bounds. When they scored, i didn't celebrate at all because i knew it wasn't over. I was hoping for a stop or a turnover but i knew it wasn't over. My wife even asked me why i wasn't excited and i told her they left too much time on the clock...so she proceeded to ask me what that meant.  Mellow

I get that you score when you can, but there are instances where you can manipulate the clock based on the time, field position and how many timeouts you have. I've seen way too many games where this happens and i've seen/read too many players talk about it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is either an incomplete pass or a play out of bounds.  When you get close to the goal line you need the option to run the ball.

I'm having trouble believing you know how to football properly.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I would say that was the most glaring, as any end of game situation. It would have been tough because we needed a TD to take the lead, to waste a down by kneeling or falling short of the goal line. Either way, we could have taken at least another 30 seconds off the clock which would have changed the game.

With how the defense has played that whole game (and lately), it was a mistake to really leave anything more than 5-10 seconds left. That's part of the game, not just who scores as fast as possible and the most points. Limiting possessions of elite players.

PB had 3 timeouts left so it would have been tough to kill the clock, too. We move too fast.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What cost Cincinnati the game?  Not scoring on the first possession in the second half!  Why win the coin toss, defer possession until the second half, and consistently lay an egg on the first third quarter possession?

Steelers won the toss and took the ball. I do agree that when the Bengals win, they need to stop deferring. 

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is either an incomplete pass or a play out of bounds.  When you get close to the goal line you need the option to run the ball.

They had 2 timeouts left.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 04:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Plus deficit. If a team is down by more than a score, you better believe they’re trying to score as fast as possible. You’re more methodical when down by a FG or less vs a TD.

Unless you get past mid field with lots of time left. They were inside the 40 at the 2:00 warning with 2 timeouts.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 05:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: When that drive started i had every confidence that they would go down and score. Not one single doubt. After they crossed the 50, i started talking to the tv...yelling at Fouts that they didn't need to run another play before the 2 minute warning, telling them to slow down, wondering out loud why they were snapping the ball so soon and then saying what a dumb thing to run a crossing pattern to the sideline and go out of bounds.

Just curious, but how did you know we would score so easily when we had not scored a single point the entire second half?

Hard to blame a coach for not having psychic ability to see into the future.  Apparently not everyone has your gifts.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 05:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Unless you get past mid field with lots of time left. They were inside the 40 at the 2:00 warning with 2 timeouts.

And we had not scored the entire second half.

It is easy to talk like this after the game is over and everyone knows what happened, but it is not uncommon to take a lot more than 2 minutes to score from 40 yards away.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And we had not scored the entire second half.

It is easy to talk like this after the game is over and everyone knows what happened, but it is not uncommon to take a lot more than 2 minutes to score from 40 yards away.

It's not what cost the game, but it could have been handled better. And it is all hindsight, since the steelers scored to win.

A stop or a turnover and none of this is even spoken about.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 05:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Unless you get past mid field with lots of time left. They were inside the 40 at the 2:00 warning with 2 timeouts.

Only with field goals. inside 2 min down by 6 you always go for the score 1st and manage clock second. Once you get inside the red zone area you cut your real estate down and thus the D too. Those crossing and slant routes are harder. The line is under more stress. All things that don’t sound good for this offense.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 05:50 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Totally sickening!!

One thing cost us that game, on our last TD drive with the  game clock running and about 1:30 still on it and the play clock sitting with 24 secs left Dalton snapped the ball. Why the **** did we not wait and run another 20 seconds off the clock?
The Squeelers would then have had less than a minute after we had scored the touchdown.

Who is responsible for this? Marvin, Lazor or Dalton. Who ever it is needs there balls wrapped.

To many games against this lot that we have lost in the last few seconds because of mistakes and it is absolutely Sickening, starting to think that there are certain people in the organisation that are too close to the Squeelers due to working for them in the past.

I hope this doesn't have a knock on effect for the rest of the season.

I'm guess i'm just really hurting just now

While this wasn't helpful, it was far from what cost us the game.

The beginning of the second half... we have the ball, Erickson has a nice return.  We make a few plays but find ourselves looking at a 3rd and 1.  Give the ball to Mixon, he gets stopped for little to no gain.  We now have 4th and 1.  I am screaming at my TV for us to go for it.  A divisional rival, the most hated one at that, and we have a chance to put up some points to take the lead.  What call is made?  Punt... silly defensive minded HC, figuring to "pin them back deep and play the field position game" with a defense that hasn't stopped anyone all year long.  The Steelers get a FG on their possession.

Turnovers... for a team emphasizing TOs, we aren't very good at it.  A few dropped INTs, hell Dunlap and Hubbard tipped a ball in the air and NONE  of the LBers made any attempt at the ball, one fumble by their TE and we don't capitalize and get the recovery?  That lead to another FG by the way.

Our last drive of the game.... 2 mins, already on our side of the field with 2 time outs.  1 run play called... the TD.  I understand that you have to take points when they present themselves, however in the NFL the team that possesses the ball last is usually the team that will win the game.  You have to move the chains but you have to do so efficiently.  If you are looking at 3rd and 3 with 40 seconds left and 2 time outs, go for the run play to try and get the 1st down, call a TO and stop the clock.  We had way too much time left at the end.  It would have been one thing if we had went up by 4 or more with the TD, but the TD only gave us a 1 point lead.  They had all 3 TOs and only needed a FG to win.  Our Defense was hurting and limping at this point and have been lackluster all season long.

Going back to Mixon, he had less than 20 carries... that is unacceptable.  I am no Mixon fan, but if he is the back, then he should be used.  It was almost like his failure to get the 1st down on the 3rd and 1 made us move away from him.

Lastly, the drops... those were terrible.  Even Green had his fair share, however Core's stand out the most.  Gotta catch the ball when they are that easy.  I know a lot of WRs miss on those easy catches, but that doesn't excuse them.
Reply/Quote
Sorry to burst any bubbles but Dave Lapham, a guy who played the game and has been in the booth for better than 30 years, feels the same way i do. They could have and should have done a better job with clock management during the final touchdown drive. 

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 08:04 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: While this wasn't helpful, it was far from what cost us the game.

The beginning of the second half... we have the ball, Erickson has a nice return.  We make a few plays but find ourselves looking at a 3rd and 1.  Give the ball to Mixon, he gets stopped for little to no gain.  We now have 4th and 1.  I am screaming at my TV for us to go for it.  A divisional rival, the most hated one at that, and we have a chance to put up some points to take the lead.  What call is made?  Punt... silly defensive minded HC, figuring to "pin them back deep and play the field position game" with a defense that hasn't stopped anyone all year long.  The Steelers get a FG on their possession.

Turnovers... for a team emphasizing TOs, we aren't very good at it.  A few dropped INTs, hell Dunlap and Hubbard tipped a ball in the air and NONE  of the LBers made any attempt at the ball, one fumble by their TE and we don't capitalize and get the recovery?  That lead to another FG by the way.

Our last drive of the game.... 2 mins, already on our side of the field with 2 time outs.  1 run play called... the TD.  I understand that you have to take points when they present themselves, however in the NFL the team that possesses the ball last is usually the team that will win the game.  You have to move the chains but you have to do so efficiently.  If you are looking at 3rd and 3 with 40 seconds left and 2 time outs, go for the run play to try and get the 1st down, call a TO and stop the clock.  We had way too much time left at the end.  It would have been one thing if we had went up by 4 or more with the TD, but the TD only gave us a 1 point lead.  They had all 3 TOs and only needed a FG to win.  Our Defense was hurting and limping at this point and have been lackluster all season long.

Going back to Mixon, he had less than 20 carries... that is unacceptable.  I am no Mixon fan, but if he is the back, then he should be used.  It was almost like his failure to get the 1st down on the 3rd and 1 made us move away from him.

Lastly, the drops... those were terrible.  Even Green had his fair share, however Core's stand out the most.  Gotta catch the ball when they are that easy.  I know a lot of WRs miss on those easy catches, but that doesn't excuse them.

Good stuff.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 05:50 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Totally sickening!!

One thing cost us that game, on our last TD drive with the  game clock running and about 1:30 still on it and the play clock sitting with 24 secs left Dalton snapped the ball. Why the **** did we not wait and run another 20 seconds off the clock?
The Squeelers would then have had less than a minute after we had scored the touchdown.

Who is responsible for this? Marvin, Lazor or Dalton. Who ever it is needs there balls wrapped.

To many games against this lot that we have lost in the last few seconds because of mistakes and it is absolutely Sickening, starting to think that there are certain people in the organisation that are too close to the Squeelers due to working for them in the past.

I hope this doesn't have a knock on effect for the rest of the season.

I'm guess i'm just really hurting just now
Well it was a positive play so maybe he snapped it before defense could adjust, that say 10 to 15 secs meant little in the grand scheme with Steelers having 3 time outstanding, they really had easily 6 to 8 plays to get into field goal range
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:23 AM)higgy100 Wrote: You're wrong. That's fine with no TO's but they had 2 TO's left. Do you understand that? Not to mention they were inside the 15 yard line. You milk the clock as much as you can by NOT running OOB and you take the play clock down to 5 before snapping. The clock is/ was/ never will be the issue in that exact situation. Your set of downs is what you're competing against and they had all day long to run 4-5 plays. You're trying to score a TD but you're also trying to give the ball back with a little time as possible especially to a team that only needs a FG to win..

You said it yourself, you're trying to score a TD.  Trying means there are no guarantees.  Ever think the pace of play is why they were able to move the ball on that drive?

If you take more time you give Pitt more prep time.  Might be a good ideal if you are like Brady was Sunday night and tied, just need a field goal for the win.  The Bengals needed 6 points to tie and 7 to take the lead.  There is no "milking" the clock when you are behind.  It can't be "assumed" you will score anyway.  

I've even hear people say Mixon should have gotten down at the 1 yard line.  Good grief are people stupid?  Extra plays to then try to score?  A chance to fumble, throw and INT, get a holding call, a number of things can happen.

I've got a novel concept:  How about the defense stopping somebody when the game is on the line?  Hmm.
Reply/Quote