Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only 59 Yards Rushing in TWO Games!
34 + 25 = 59

That’s how much the Bengals have rushed all season; barely over half the length of the field. They managed 34 rushing yards against the Seahawks and the 49ers held them to only 25 yards rushing today. Yes, I know the NFL is pass-happy on the whole but if you can’t run the ball you can’t control the clock. Every Bengal touchdown so far has come via the pass.

Now I realize this is mostly on the offensive line which, at least with respect to run blocking, might be the worst in the entire league. Somehow Jim Turner needs to get those big guys to directionally block and open some holes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon will rush for 350 yards on 250 carries and get an extension at $15 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 34 + 25 = 59

That’s how much the Bengals have rushed all season; barely over half the length of the field.  They managed 34 rushing yards against the Seahawks and the 49ers held them to only 25 yards rushing today.  Yes, I know the NFL is pass-happy on the whole but if you can’t run the ball you can’t control the clock.  Every Bengal touchdown so far has come via the pass.

Now I realize this is mostly on the offensive line which, at least with respect to run blocking, might be the worst in the entire league.  Somehow Jim Turner needs to get those big guys to directionally block and open some holes.

We hired a mediocre offensive line coach with a bunch of red flags that no other team would hire in the NFL. What do you expect?

Also, Pollack apparently didn't want to coach this line when given the opportunity to leave. That says a lot.
Reply/Quote
Hey looks like you read my post in the other thread where I posted those stats. Big Grin Yeah it isn't not good. No team can prosper averaging 1.7 yards a carry. Run blocking is a huge issue but last week everyone here said it was because the Seahawks stacked the box when I mentioned that concern. The O-line has been exposed as well in pass blocking. I don't know if the Seahawks just had an off game last week with pass rush or the Bengals played above their level. Time will tell.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I know he’s working with scrubs, but if this continues you have to think Turner could get fired mid season.

Let Taylor bring in Mike Sherman. It can’t get any worse.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I know he’s working with scrubs, but if this continues you have to think Turner could get fired mid season.

Let Taylor bring in Mike Sherman. It can’t get any worse.

Turner is on the friends and family plan. He won't get fired.

He's why ZT got hired at U of Cincy. They're close.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Turner is on the friends and family plan. He won't get fired.

He's why ZT got hired at U of Cincy. They're close.

He will if there’s another mutiny. Mike Brown fired Zampese mid season, and he had been with the team like 2 decades.

If this continues we know Mixon will be outspoken about doing something.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon will rush for 350 yards on 250 carries and get an extension at $15 million per year.

i would bet if  Mixon doesn't get an offensive kine to block and give him a chance he will blowout of Cincy in a heartbeat. He'll get his money somewhere else and an offensive line to block for him,
Reply/Quote
The line gets zero push. Are biggest offseason free agent was John Miller who stinks. Not sure how serious Michael Jordan’s injury is but Price might have another shot to start at guard and prove his worth. On Price’s 1st play in he got bullied backwards and called for a holding.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:30 PM)GodFather Wrote: i would bet if  Mixon doesn't get an offensive kine to block and give him a chance he will blowout of Cincy in a heartbeat. He'll get his money somewhere else and an offensive line to block for him,

Mixon could have 1600 yards behind Dallas's line. He'd be a HOF-caliber back.

Guys waste their careers here.
Reply/Quote
Didn't Mixon lead the AFC in rushing last year? What has changed up front?

Well, Glenn is not playing, Price has been benched, Miller is at RG, and Boling is gone. Seems to be clear the problem.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I had the bengals at 4-12 this season but I am correcting my position and say it will be 2-14 and they will be lucky to win at all!
THIS SHIT IS JUST SAD!!!

Reply/Quote
Breaking news - once again the off season signings suck. Brown, Miller, Hart..yipeee. Wondering if OL coach Turner still loves Bobble Head Hart.

For 3 years we have been talking about a woeful LB and OL group. 3 years. Just brutal.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He will if there’s another mutiny. Mike Brown fired Zampese mid season, and he had been with the team like 2 decades.

If this continues we know Mixon will be outspoken about doing something.

Austin was fired midseason too. With this being Turner's first year in Cincinnati, he's definitely not gonna be given the benefit of the doubt by Mike Brown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Didn't Mixon lead the AFC in rushing last year?  What has changed up front?  

Well, Glenn is not playing, Price has been benched, Miller is at RG, and Boling is gone.  Seems to be clear the problem.

Different scheme too with a new OL coach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Didn't Mixon lead the AFC in rushing last year?  What has changed up front?  

Well, Glenn is not playing, Price has been benched, Miller is at RG, and Boling is gone.  Seems to be clear the problem.

And a new line coach.
Reply/Quote
I never understood the hiring of Jim Turner. Yeah, he got drummed out of the league for playing a part in a strange scandal that made him look bad. That's what people think of when they hear his name.

However, even without the Martin/Incognito storyline, I just don't see a body of work that makes him the guy that you want to bring in to fix your long-suffering line. He's got a tough guy reputation for all of the dumb shit he's done, but the fire-breathing approach hasn't reaped much in the way of results. He's a below average o-line coach that most people never would have heard of if it weren't for the stupid incidents he was a part of that got publicized.

His track record so far in Cincinnati consists of stumping for our incumbent steaming shitpile of a right tackle in free agency and bringing in a dude he coached a long time ago in Miami that had been run out of the league for a year. Yay.
Reply/Quote
The thing that is sad to me is how everyone is pointing at the OLine. Sure it stinks and needs to be rebuilt/upgraded, but I would throw in that the RBs aren't as good as fans on here think.

Even with the box being stacked, with the OLine being terrible, 59 yards isn't just those things, that is the RBs not having any type of dominance. Sanders had a terrible OLine, but was still able to get yards. At some point you just expect great RBs to do great things. Make people miss, run people over or whatever, but I don't see that with these guys.

Bernard is slippery and tries to truck people over, but he is not as stout as other RBs. He, right now, is our best back though, what he lacks in the run game he makes up for his receiving abilities. He has 21 yards on 7 attempts rushing with 42 yards on 2 receptions, for a total of 63 yards.

Mixon on the other hand has 27 rushing on 17 attempts with 5 receptions of 17 yards, totaling 44 yards.

I won't say that Bernard should be the primary back, but he has the better YPC, both rushing and receiving, than Mixon. If Mixon is hurt and not at his best, then maybe game plan with Bernard taking the load, and switching to Mixon as the CoP back.

I also think we need to think about dink and dunk passes with our RBs, especially in the middle of the field on 1st and 2nd down. If they can't run for 4 yards, then maybe they can get you 4 yards on quick passes. Sure the rushing stats look weak, but the point is to move the ball. If you are getting 4 yards, per play, from your RB, it shouldn't matter if they are running for 4 or catching for 4, that is a good play. Puts us in 3rd and short and hopefully gets the defenders to sit in tight, allowing for the speedy WRs to get downfield.
Reply/Quote
What do you expect when you put like 10$ into your o line? Mike Brown saw these lineman and was like “yep they are good enough”

This line is worst than any I’ve seen in football.
Reply/Quote
This is probably the worst running game I've ever seen in my entire life.

It's to the point where a running play is actually just a waste of a down.

It's not gaining any yards. It's not setting up the play action. It's not drawing 8 or 9 man boxes.

It does absolutely and positively nothing.

Either fix the run blocking on this team or stop running it for the remainder of the season.
Reply/Quote