Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Days Left Before Season to Re-Sign Bates
I am HOPING we get the word any day that Bates is re-signed. I'm hoping Price traded was a way to work the salary cap. I'm hoping that such a talented 24 year old team leader is not heading into end of season Free Agency. This team will never crawl out of Last Place by losing good young players like Bates. Once the season starts against Vikings, Mike Brown and Company do not like talking contracts during The Season. So I'm hoping any day there is good news that Bates is Re-Signed...Time is running out Fast....on resigning Bates, Hurry Up and GO BENGALS.

Unlike Ogbuhei, Ross and Price drafted under Marvin's last years, Bates at age 24 is a later round pick under Marvin worth keeping. I can see Taylor cleaning house of these Marvin Picks, but Bates is the exception.

Sports Illustrated and such have Bates ranked as one of the best young safeties in the NFL at age 24. If Bengals do not sign him, then it tells me that Mike Brown who says, " Why should I pay a guard ", also feels the same way about safeties. That would be a mistake in todays pass happy NFL where teams use less Linebackers and more DB's and a good safety is the new Dick Butkus with few LB's on the field. Teams need a Ronnie Lott or an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu now, and Jesse Bates seems to be that guy......This is one last Marvin player that Zac should not sweep out with Ogh, Ross and Price. At age 24, and already a team leader, Bates is as young as some NFL draft picks in 2021, but already coached up under Zac and a Team Leader. Why create a Draft or Free Agent need at Safety when Bengals have so many other needs areas to become a Super Bowl team. Just keep Bates who is part of the future at age 24.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
My hunch is that they'll announce it next week. They're just waiting for the right time. It's gotta be done by now. I think Geno's was announced the Monday before Week 1, and I wouldn't be surprised if they followed the same schedule here. And if they somehow don't strike a deal at all, fire everybody.
Reply/Quote
One of two things will happen:

1. Jessie Bates takes a below market (or maybe right at market) deal that keeps him here long term.

2. The Bengals let him play his final contract year and then franchise tag him in 2022.

The franchise tag is currently lower than what Bates is expected to make and the second consecutive franchise tag ( with the 20% mark up) is still looking like it'll be approximately what Bates is expected to make.

So unless Bates "buys" those three years of control the Bengals have of him at below market value, the Bengals have no real reason to extend him outside of morale.

And I don't think Troy Blackburn is all that concerned with morale...
Reply/Quote
I find it interesting how in another thread you complain about Joey Votto (an MVP and future HoFer) getting a big contract, but now in a sport where they actually have a salary cap, thus a limit to their spending, you're wanting the Bengals to throw huge amounts of money at a guy who is a 0x Pro Bowler, 0x 1st Team All-Pro.

They still have 2 years of franchise tagging at a lower cost than the extension would be. Jessie Bates isn't going anywhere.

The fact that you say "Teams need a Ronnie Lott or an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu now, and Jesse Bates seems to be that guy." tells me that you don't expect this thread to be taken seriously.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He's going to get tagged the next two years regardless. He will be a Bengal through 2023 at least.

Bates has zero leverage in this situation and he would be smart to just sign a decent deal. If he gets seriously injured he's screwed.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
From what I hear, Katie Blackburn is the executive of the decade, so I expect a long term deal laden with team-friendly provisions. And I expect a lifetime of free UDF chocolate malts.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 02:16 AM)kevin Wrote: I am HOPING we get the word any day that Bates is re-signed.  I'm hoping Price traded was a way to work the salary cap.  I'm hoping that such a talented 24 year old team leader is not heading into end of season Free Agency. This team will never crawl out of Last Place by losing good young players like Bates. Once the season starts against Vikings, Mike Brown and Company do not like talking contracts during The Season.  So I'm hoping any day there is good news that Bates is Re-Signed...Time is running out Fast....on resigning Bates, Hurry Up and GO BENGALS.

Unlike Ogbuhei, Ross and Price drafted under Marvin's last years, Bates at age 24 is a later round pick under Marvin worth keeping.  I can see Taylor cleaning house of these Marvin Picks, but Bates is the exception.

Sports Illustrated and such have Bates ranked as one of the best young safeties in the NFL at age 24.  If Bengals do not sign him, then it tells me that Mike Brown who says, " Why should I pay a guard ", also feels the same way about safeties. That would be a mistake in todays pass happy NFL where teams use less Linebackers and more DB's and a good safety is the new Dick Butkus with few LB's on the field.  Teams need a Ronnie Lott or an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu now, and Jesse Bates seems to be that guy......This is one last Marvin player that Zac should not sweep out with Ogh, Ross and Price. At age 24, and already a team leader, Bates is as young as some NFL draft picks in 2021, but already coached up under Zac and a Team Leader. Why create a Draft or Free Agent need at Safety when Bengals have so many other needs areas to become a Super Bowl team.  Just keep Bates who is part of the future at age 24.

1) Price and Webb make close to the same money, so no savings there.

2) Bates is a Bengal for the next two years, regardless of if they extend him, if they use the tag on him. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 02:16 AM)kevin Wrote: Time is running out Fast....on resigning Bates, Hurry Up and GO BENGALS.

Carson Palmer signed his contract extension in December.

Doubt that will happen with Bates, but it is still too early to cray about losing Jesse.
Reply/Quote
You can actually re-sign after the season ends but before FA starts, so it's not just a few days left technically.
With that said, the likelihood Bates signs an extension after the season ends probably greatly decreases.
He'll more likely be tagged or leave in FA if he doesn't sign an extension before Game 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Is this Bates guy any good?
Reply/Quote
Bates will sign...

...the franchise tag next year.
Reply/Quote
Would be nice to get it done for everybody...
Reply/Quote