Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only the Best Teams "Win Ugly"
The Cincinnati Bengals played badly today. Dre Kirkpatrick went down. So did Adam Jones. Andy Dalton limped his way through most of the game. Ball security was questionable at best. AJ Green tipped two Dalton passes into interceptions and fumbled a third ball later. He too came up limping. The turnover differential was -2.

Still, the Bengals won against Buffalo, a team with a winning record.

In the rain.

With no run game.

With Andy Dalton throwing two picks.

With two personal fouls.

With Marvin Lewis in charge.

The Cincinnati Bengals finally won an ugly game where very little went right. Only the best teams do this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well they wont keep winning if they don't fix the running the game. That O=Line needs to improve they if they are going to keep winning.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:26 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Well they wont keep winning if they don't fix the running the game. That O=Line needs to improve they if they are going to keep winning.

I'm afraid that this OL is about as good as it can get.

Andre is near the end and the team basically gave up on him two years. Now he's the best OLman on the team. This simple thing should tell us everything. The team lets a guy go with the idea that he's clearly past his prime and will be replaced by newly drafted young guys. Fast forward two years and he's now best player on the line while young guys play like wet newsprint.

Ogbuehi has now been in the league 3 years. If he were going to improve we'd be seeing that this season, but we aren't.

Fisher is almost the same as Ogbuehi except I think he's a little better than Ogbueihi.

Bodine is in his 4th year and we've seen his peak ability already. So I just don't see the upward movement.

Westerman can't even get active with such a bad line.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals played badly today.  Dre Kirkpatrick went down.  So did Adam Jones.  Andy Dalton limped his way through most of the game.  Ball security was questionable at best.  AJ Green tipped two Dalton passes into interceptions and fumbled a third ball later.  He too came up limping.  The turnover differential was -2.

In the rain.

With no run game.

With two personal fouls.

The Cincinnati Bengals finally won an ugly game where very little went right.  Only the best teams do this.

I think this is a valid point. I don't think the Bengals are a good team or a great team by any means...but they won. In many years this is the exact type of game they'd lose.

With that said...we've yet to see this team play good for an entire game other than Cleveland. If they have aspirations of playoffs...we'll need to see that at some point.

The Steelers look worse on the field than their roster should. We actually can win the division...but we need to beat them in 2 weeks. To beat them...we'll need to play a complete game.
Reply/Quote
Every team has to get an ugly win or two in every season to go anywhere. Question is are we going anywhere ?

The game after the bye is mega hugantic if we're actually going to go somewhere !
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals played badly today.  Dre Kirkpatrick went down.  So did Adam Jones.  Andy Dalton limped his way through most of the game.  Ball security was questionable at best.  AJ Green tipped two Dalton passes into interceptions and fumbled a third ball later.  He too came up limping.  The turnover differential was -2.

In the rain.

With no run game.

With two personal fouls.

The Cincinnati Bengals finally won an ugly game where very little went right.  Only the best teams do this.

I hate to bring this up, but...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's like 2am in the bar and your hammered, back in the college days sometimes you had to go "ugly' or take the "ugly" fat chick for a friend.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote

In the rain.

With no run game.

With two personal fouls.

Post win euphoria is the leading cause of nutty posts.

Only the best teams win ugly? Teams win ugly all the time. The best teams typically pull out ugly and/or close games consistently. One ugly win doesn’t prove anything. Regardless, I think it was a pretty good showing overall, in spite of some fluke-ish turnovers, and tough conditions. The defense certainly showed up, nothing bad about them. They were also under a lot of pressure to win this game, having dug themselves quite a hole, out of the gate.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:10 PM)Utts Wrote: Post win euphoria is the leading cause of nutty posts.

Only the best teams win ugly? Teams win ugly all the time. The best teams typically pull out ugly and/or close games consistently. One ugly win doesn’t prove anything. Regardless, I think it was a pretty good showing overall, in spite of some fluke-ish turnovers, and tough conditions. The defense certainly showed up, nothing bad about them. They were also under a lot of pressure to win this game, having dug themselves quite a hole, out of the gate.

Thanks for clearing that up Coach!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:12 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Thanks for clearing that up Coach!

Wow. Somebody has a long memory. Still bitter about all the dressing downs I’ve handed you in the past? Life is too short to hold grudges. Time to move on, bengalguy. 
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:26 PM)Utts Wrote: Wow. Somebody has a long memory. Still bitter about all the dressing downs I’ve handed you in the past? Life is too short to hold grudges. Time to move on, bengalguy. 

Bitter?  Thanking you for your expertise is being bitter??  The Bengals just don't know what they're missing!!
Reply/Quote
FIK, you can learn a lot from Coach Utts! Pay attention!! You just got 'dressed down' by the best!!
Reply/Quote
This board does undulate between extremes. We win and people act like we're going to win the Super Bowl. We lose and they act like we're going 0-16.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This board does undulate between extremes. We win and people act like we're going to win the Super Bowl. We lose and they act like we're going 0-16.

... and when the smoke clears ... it's still the Bengals, 50 years running of more of the same!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: ... and when the smoke clears ... it's still the Bengals, 50 years running of more of the same!

Yes. Only 3 of those 50 years ended with atleast 1 playoff win.

Our offensive line and not being able to run the ball will do us in against good teams this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: FIK, you can learn a lot from Coach Utts! Pay attention!! You just got 'dressed down' by the best!!

Utts tells it like it is -- and I'm okay with that. I have skin like battleship armor and I can take it. As for being "dressed down," however, I would have to put Utts in second place behind Mrs. FIK.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 07:25 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Utts tells it like it is -- and I'm okay with that.  I have skin like battleship armor and I can take it.  As for being "dressed down," however, I would have to put Utts in second place behind Mrs. FIK.

We can only grow by learning from the best indeed!!
Reply/Quote