Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Opinion: DeSantis 2024?
Me: Post link and copies the entire article including why DeSantis had his little snitfit.

SSF: Repeats what is in the story and says "Dino didn't tell the whole story!!"

One trick pony.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
I don't typically agree with...anything DeSantis does, by the state of Florida's constitution he didn't do anything wrong. However, this does kind of have a scent of punishing one's political enemies.

His base will eat it up, fringe voters may not like it - especially the reasoning behind it (abortion). Kansas kind of proved that even deep GoP states aren't fans of government control of bodily autonomy. And given DeSantis barely won in the first place, this might sink him in November.

On the other hand it is Florida, where crazy goes to breed.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 08:25 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I don't typically agree with...anything DeSantis does, by the state of Florida's constitution he didn't do anything wrong. However, this does kind of have a scent of punishing one's political enemies.

His base will eat it up, fringe voters may not like it - especially the reasoning behind it (abortion). Kansas kind of proved that even deep GoP states aren't fans of government control of bodily autonomy. And given DeSantis barely won in the first place, this might sink him in November.

On the other hand it is Florida, where crazy goes to breed.

Oh, he'll probably win.  If Florida knew what was good for it neither him nor the Angel of Death Rick Scott would hold office.

A lot will depend on if people stay diligent based on Roe v Wade and if there aren't a lot of roadblocks to voting put up.
Reply/Quote
Case in point:

And something like 9000 openings for teachers to be filled.
Reply/Quote
As I've said before, I hope DeSantis is more reasonable than my biased and idiot brain can grasp, because outside of Trump shitting in the pool that is the 2024 election for the GOP, we're looking at 8 years of this guy in charge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 10:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As I've said before, I hope DeSantis is more reasonable than my biased and idiot brain can grasp, because outside of Trump shitting in the pool that is the 2024 election for the GOP, we're looking at 8 years of this guy in charge.

He's not.

He is so used to just getting his way in Florida he'll never be able to function at POTUS unless the gop has complete control of congress.  It will Trump all over again.
Reply/Quote
I can't decide if the lying is worse than the lack of self awareness or the irony of him saying he's fighting to keep "ideology" out of schools.

Secondly, why are all the men with badges behind him for a speech on teacher recruitment?  Odd look.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: I can't decide if the lying is worse than the lack of self awareness or the irony of him saying he's fighting to keep "ideology" out of schools.

Secondly, why are all the men with badges behind him for a speech on teacher recruitment?  Odd look.

Imagine listening to that ***** talk and thinking 'He'd be a good president'..

Then again, it's also not surprising.
Reply/Quote
Anyone makes more sense than old ass Donald Trump and Joe Biden.

Trump would be 78 years old when the 2024 election comes around.
Biden will be 82 years old by the time the next term would start.

Neither one should be the nominee simply because of the fact that there isn't a guarantee they'd make it through a full term, and also a (strong?) possibility either would go senile in that term if they even did make it through.

Remember how many people were concerned about John McCain's age back in 2008? Some even chose not to vote for him because they didn't want to see Sarah Palin end up the president if something happened to McCain.
McCain was 72 years old back when the 2008 election happened...younger than both Trump and Biden will be.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If DeSantis had a chance in hell of winning the FBI would be framing him for a federal crime right now.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 08:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Case in point:

And something like 9000 openings for teachers to be filled.

What the actual **** is “tax fairness”?

Leave it to liberal party members/voters to fabricate metrics to try and prove a point.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 07:23 PM)basballguy Wrote: What the actual **** is “tax fairness”?

Leave it to liberal party members/voters to fabricate metrics to try and prove a point.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tax_fairness.asp

Quote:What Is Tax Fairness?

Tax fairness is a concept which stipulates that a government's tax system should be equitable to all citizens. Opinions differ, however, in just how to reach tax fairness.

The solutions are varied, but most fall under three broad systems of taxation. They include regressive taxation, progressive taxation, and blended taxation.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
  • Advocates of a regressive tax say it is fair because everyone pays the same tax for the same goods and services.
  • Advocates of a progressive tax say the richest can afford to pay more into a system that has benefitted them more.
  • Taxation in the U.S. takes a blended approach. The income tax is progressive while the FICA tax is regressive.
Generally, advocates of tax fairness believe that taxes should be based on a person's or company’s ability to pay but balanced by the needs of society as a whole for government services.

Understanding Tax Fairness
Any notion of tax fairness attempts to strike a balance between what is fair to the individual and what is fair to society as a whole.

The Individual's Right
A tax regime that emphasizes fairness to the individual will allow its citizens to keep most of the money they make or the wealth they own because it is, after all, their property. However, such a tax regime tends to have many exemptions for special cases, created in response to interest groups that make a case for special tax treatment.

Theoretically, the most deserving individuals will pay the least tax, but there may not be a consensus on who are the most deserving. Some would cite the poorest and most disadvantaged. Others may point to the richest who are most able to benefit others by spending money and creating jobs.

The Common Good
A tax regime that focuses on the good of the society as a whole might conclude that a primary function of the tax code should be the redistribution of wealth. For example, generational wealth may be taxed by a high inheritance tax, or high earners may be taxed more to bring their pay in line with other workers.

Most advocates of tax fairness tend to advocate for closing loopholes in the tax code that allow certain individuals and corporations to avoid paying taxes altogether, although every one of those loopholes is strongly defended by individuals or groups who believe they deserve special treatment.

Three Tax Concepts
Groups that focus on tax fairness generally choose one of three possible tax systems. These systems are regressive taxation, proportional taxation, and progressive taxation.

Regressive Taxation
Regressive taxation taxes everyone the same amount, regardless of their ability to pay. As a result, the poor pay a much higher rate than the rich as a percentage of their disposable income.

A state sales tax is an example of this type of taxation. The poorest consumer pays the same amount of tax for a gallon of milk as the richest person.

A flat tax is often characterized as a regressive tax. For example, imagine a tax system that imposes a flat 15% income tax and no other taxes. A family with an income of $180,000 will pay $27,000. A family with a $30,000 income will pay only $4,500. However, when considered as an issue of tax fairness, the lower-income family may be getting the lesser deal. The family's real standard of living has been compromised while the richer family is untouched.

Progressive Taxation
Progressive taxes charge a higher tax rate on higher amounts of income. The U.S. income tax is a progressive tax, with rates ranging from 0% to 37%.

Contrary to popular opinion, this does not mean that a rich person pays 37% of his or her income in taxes in the U.S. That highest percentage is levied only on the amount of the person's income that exceeds a particular level. That is how a progressive tax works.

As of the 2021 tax year, all individual taxpayers pay zero on the first $9,950 in income. The individual must pay 12% on income from $9,951 to $40,525, and so on through the tax brackets.1

The intention of a progressive tax rate is to charge an effective tax rate that is lowest on the lowest earners, and higher on the higher earners.

Progressive taxes may also have exemptions, deductions, and credits that reduce the effective tax rate on certain groups of taxpayers, such as parents with dependent children, or rewards certain behaviors, such as saving for retirement or donating to charity.

Blended Taxation
In practice, most tax authorities blend regressive taxes and progressive taxes.

Many states have a state-wide sales tax but also have a progressive income tax.

The federal government has a progressive income tax, with the exception of the FICA payroll tax, which is a flat tax.

And, both state and federal tax authorities shield their lowest-income residents from income taxes.

Leave it to...well, whatever you are...to question something offhand rather than see what it is so they could make a sweeping comment about liberals.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 09:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tax_fairness.asp

Leave it to...well, whatever you are...to question something offhand rather than see what it is so they could make a sweeping comment about liberals.

an investopedia article is your baseline?????  

A fair tax would be a tax where everyone pays the same rate.

Get out of here with this bullshit.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 12:37 AM)basballguy Wrote: an investopedia article is your baseline?????  

A fair tax would be a tax where everyone pays the same rate.

Get out of here with this bullshit.  

Yes, I gave a quick, easy way to understand you made fun of because of you own lack of information.

You could discuss it further or not I guess.

I suppose just ignoring the issue is why a lot of people think Florida is so great.
Reply/Quote
Maybe this will help: https://apps.irs.gov/app/understandingTaxes/whys/thm03/les01/media/ws_ans_thm03_les01.pdf
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe this will help: https://apps.irs.gov/app/understandingTaxes/whys/thm03/les01/media/ws_ans_thm03_les01.pdf

Yeah...

No it won't.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe this will help: https://apps.irs.gov/app/understandingTaxes/whys/thm03/les01/media/ws_ans_thm03_les01.pdf

I gotta say that looks like propaganda to get people to buy into the idea that Big Government has their "best interests" in mind, when in reality it looks more like an attempt to get citizens to buy into the idea of Communism.

That example uses two families in similar income ranges, and paints a picture as if the retired teachers didn't already pay their dues in society, in order to enjoy a more burden free end of life.  WTF??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I gotta say that looks like propaganda to get people to buy into the idea that Big Government has their "best interests" in mind, when in reality it looks more like an attempt to get citizens to buy into the idea of Communism.

That example uses two families in similar income ranges, and paints a picture as if the retired teachers didn't already pay their dues in society, in order to enjoy a more burden free end of life.  WTF??

You apparently do not understand communism and also weren't able to notice that the activity doesn't do any of what you claim. It is intended to get people to think about the idea of tax fairness and doesn't provide answers as to what actually is fair.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 07:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You apparently do not understand communism and also weren't able to notice that the activity doesn't do any of what you claim. It is intended to get people to think about the idea of tax fairness and doesn't provide answers as to what actually is fair.

It clearly says in the final like that "answers will vary"..

It would seem to me that the truly "fair" way to handle any and all taxation is to leave income alone, and only tax commerce.  The producers of goods and services should match the amount that the consumer pays in sales tax for each respective good or service.  That way the wealthy who make money from their businesses pay the same amount of sales tax that consumers paid in the purchase of those goods or services, and the less fortunate only pay on what they consume, which will be less as they will likely be purchasing goods and services at a lower level than the affluent.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 07:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It clearly says in the final like that "answers will vary"..

Which is shorthand for "there is no one right answer as long as they are thinking critically based on the assignment." So that make my point.

(08-17-2022, 07:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It would seem to me that the truly "fair" way to handle any and all taxation is to leave income alone, and only tax commerce.  The producers of goods and services should match the amount that the consumer pays in sales tax for each respective good or service.  That way the wealthy who make money from their businesses pay the same amount of sales tax that consumers paid in the purchase of those goods or services, and the less fortunate only pay on what they consume, which will be less as they will likely be purchasing goods and services at a lower level than the affluent.

Consumption based tax systems are inherently regressive meaning that the lower your income the higher proportion of your income is taxed, meaning that lower income people have a higher effective tax rate. How is that fair?

Reply/Quote