Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Opinion: DeSantis 2024?
(11-13-2022, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I loved me some Trump in the moment, but it's really time that everyone just turned the page on him.

That's not how relationships with people like Trump work.  You can't just harness the power of a terrible person for your own gain and then discard him as soon as he's no longer useful to your cause.  When you let someone like Trump in, then double-down on him when he gives you a reason to get rid of him...well, you're probably stuck.

I envy anyone who thinks the GOP can just "move on" from Trump, because it's clear you've never had to deal with close relationships with crazy/mean/narcissistic people.  I mean, the USA tried to move on from Trump via the 2020 election and here we are 2 years later and he's still the face of the GOP.

Good luck.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's not how relationships with people like Trump work.  You can't just harness the power of a terrible person for your own gain and then discard him as soon as he's no longer useful to your cause.  When you let someone like Trump in, then double-down on him when he gives you a reason to get rid of him...well, you're probably stuck.

I envy anyone who thinks the GOP can just "move on" from Trump, because it's clear you've never had to deal with close relationships with crazy/mean/narcissistic people.  I mean, the USA tried to move on from Trump via the 2020 election and here we are 2 years later and he's still the face of the GOP.

Good luck.

At this point, the Trump supporters who are left ARE the crazy/mean/narcissistic people that think that there is nothing wrong with him. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:53 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: At this point, the Trump supporters who are left ARE the crazy/mean/narcissistic people that think that there is nothing wrong with him. 

The major point is that they still think he is a winner and that his narrow victory in 2016 as well as his big losses in 2018, 2020, and 2022 were all major wins that were stolen from him by a rigged system.

No one in the GOP, sane or insane, wanted to drop Trump until he lost the midterms for them a week ago...that's all that matters is that he isn't winning and he's going to cause them to lose ground to the democrats if he stays the main figure of the GOP.  They have the problem that they let Trump convince half of their base that he's never lost and he can never lose.

2016 - rigged, Trump won by a landslide
2018 - rigged, the GOP won by a landslide
2020 - rigged, Trump won by a landslide
2022 - Ok, seriously this one wasn't rigged and neither were the others, we've given you 6 straight years of propaganda that we need you to disregard before 2024

I mean, as long as Trump still has big rallies over the next 2 years how can you convince every Trump voter that he won't crush DeSantis and then crush Biden/whomever in 2024?  What are you going to use on them....logic?

The GOP talked a big game about needing to ditch Trump after 2020 and 1/6 and some of them tried and then it was like...no, his supporters won't budge, we've got to backtrack on this and change our tune and throw out anyone who won't do a 180 on this.  They're talking tough now about pulling their support for Trump and anointing DeSantis as the face of the GOP, but history has shown it's very possible they start down this path and have to retreat yet again.

Turning on Trump hasn't gone over well with his supporters and hoping that his supporters somehow finally accept that he lost so you can safely and effectively turn on him may be a tough road to hoe, so to speak.
Reply/Quote
Trump will go scorched earth on anyone that opposes him. And if it is a crowded primary again like 2016 his devoted base very well could get him the nomination with 30% of the early vote. If he loses the nomination, he will go 3rd party not caring that he will undermine the Republican candidate. In his narcissistic mind, the worst thing he can be called is a loser. For him the hole idea of leadership stems from being a winner. He is like a wounded wild animal backed into a corner. What he’ll do is unpredictable but guaranteed to be dangerous.
I’ve said, only half jokingly, that the best thing for this country is for Trump to die. Not be killed or anything. But, to die, of natural causes preferably where someone can see what happened. We may have to watch him become a martyr and live through endless and ever growing conspiracy theories but he would be gone and the world could move on. As it is now we have to live through his and his followers destructive hatred

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's not how relationships with people like Trump work.  You can't just harness the power of a terrible person for your own gain and then discard him as soon as he's no longer useful to your cause.  When you let someone like Trump in, then double-down on him when he gives you a reason to get rid of him...well, you're probably stuck.

Good luck.

He's going to be like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction

Only with hundreds of millions of dollars and dozens of dedicated employees 
and sycophantic hangers on ready to sacrifice all to do his bidding.

So odd that so many Republicans could not suspect this already in 2015.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 02:26 PM)Dill Wrote: He's going to be like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction

Only with hundreds of millions of dollars and dozens of dedicated employees 
and sycophantic hangers ready to sacrifice all to do his bidding.

So odd that so many Republicans could not suspect this already in 2015.

I think the GOP was banking on either getting 0 terms out of him or 2 consecutive terms out of him.  The unlikely event that he'd be a 1 term president is what opened the door to him being this ever present "possible president" for the rest of his life.  

He's probably running in 2024 and he will either win, or lose and spend years throwing a fit and interfering with things AND if he loses he can still run in 2028.  Hell, the narrative around Trump is so god-like and unreasonable that his death won't even convince everyone that he won't be the best presidential candidate for who knows how long.

He's 76 now, which means even if he drops dead tomorrow people could semi-conceivably think he could live to be around 100.  So for the next 24 years he could be alive and hiding and going to reemerge and become president.  Someone out there someday will have a TRUMP/JFK JR 2046 flag.  We can't prove that he's dead, so we can't prove that he won't appear and become president when he is 100.

If anyone wants my strategy suggestion to get rid of Trump, I'd say pass this photo of his mom around and spread the rumor that Trump is secretly trans or a cross-dresser.

[Image: image.jpg?quality=65&smart&width=990]
Reply/Quote
DeSantis!  Tough on Crime!  Ninja

https://www.rawstory.com/florida-trafficking-fines/

[/url]
Quote:Ron DeSantis issues zero fines after 6,600 hotels rack up sex trafficking violations

David Edwards
November 20, 2022
 [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.rawstory.com/florida-trafficking-fines/&text=Ron%20DeSantis%20issues%20zero%20fines%20after%206%2C600%20hotels%20rack%20up%20sex%20trafficking%20violations&] [/url]   

[Image: desantis.jpg?id=29791897&width=1200&height=675]

Florida Governor Rob DeSantis speaks at the University of Miami in 2019. (Shutterstock.com)

[url=https://www.rawstory.com/florida-trafficking-fines/#yappa-comments-frame]
Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' administration has declined to issue fines after over 14,000 violations of a sex trafficking law by Florida hotels and lodging establishments.

An investigation published on Sunday by the Sun Sentinel found that 6,669 hotels and other lodging establishments had received 14,279 citations since a 2019 sex trafficking law required them to make modest changes to protect victims.

In one case, The Plaza Hotel was cited five times after a 17-year-old girl was choked because she would not turn over all her earnings to her sex trafficker.
The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation told the paper that no fines had been issued because the establishment had corrected the problems within a 90-day grace period provided by the law.

State Sen. Lauren Book passed the law and was shocked to find out that state enforcers had required no fines.
"The reason that we had the cure period was that you fix the problem, not that you fall back on your laurels because the department then gives you another 90 days after some time," she explained. "That's not the intention, that's not the spirit of the law or the intention. So it's my intention to go back and change that and not allow for that."

It's not clear why DeSantis has not ordered his government to use the law to crack down on sex trafficking.

"The division's main goal is to focus on educating licensees and assisting them as they strive to come into compliance with the law," the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation said in a statement.

"By performing follow-up inspections at 60 days and then again at the 90-day deadline, division inspectors have been successful in compelling establishments to comply prior to the issuance of an administrative complaint. To date, all public lodging establishments have complied by the conclusion of 90 days and no enforcement cases have yet been generated due to non-compliance with the law."

The department declined to make a spokesperson available for an interview.

"My administration is committed to ensuring criminals involved in this heinous crime are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and victims are returned to safety," DeSantis told the 2019 Human Trafficking Summit.
"While this issue remains a serious threat here in Florida, I'm proud of the great work people across our state are doing to push back."

Fines from the 2019 law were expected to help fund the Florida Alliance to End Human Trafficking.
The report was the first of a five-part series from the Sun Sentinel.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 01:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Totally normal day under DeSantis rule...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article264169541.html

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article264169541.html#storylink=cpy

At least they put some "thought" into it... Mellow

Reply/Quote
Huh, can't see how this could go wrong.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 05:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Huh, can't see how this could go wrong.  :ninja:

So basically we are seeing an evolution of the Republican Party leader as he morphs from bozo the clown (trump) to pennywise (desantis).

I promise a power hungry ass clown villainizing the FDA, CDC, and NIH isn’t in your best interest if you are an American.

Hell it’s not in human kinds best interest to have “man from Florida” acting like America’s top doctors and medical researchers are intentionally acting nefarious.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 01:39 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So basically we are seeing an evolution of the Republican Party leader as he morphs from bozo the clown (trump) to pennywise (desantis).

I promise a power hungry ass clown villainizing the FDA, CDC, and NIH isn’t in your best interest if you are an American.

Hell it’s not in human kinds best interest to have “man from Florida” acting like America’s top doctors and medical researchers are intentionally acting nefarious.

It may win him the Republican nomination but will lose him the Presidency

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
One of his best friend commited suicide after being accused of sexual misconduct this week.

Talk about distraction.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I loved me some Trump in the moment, but it's really time that everyone just turned the page on him.

(11-13-2022, 07:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Couldn’t agree more. He’s been getting on my nerves for quite sometime. I think his actions over the last week have most of his supporters ready to wash their hands of him.

Can I ask what changed your mind? 

I ask because for me, he is just the person he always was, I don't see the change really. But I am genuinely curious.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 07:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: Can I ask what changed your mind? 

I ask because for me, he is just the person he always was, I don't see the change really. But I am genuinely curious.

As for me, there wasn't one, singular moment or action that caused my support to wane.  I'd say it was more of an accumulative effect of the guy not realizing when it was time to simply STFU and stay with the bigger picture policy items that won him the support of so many to begin with.  

I hope that explanation is suffice, as I'm not looking to get into deeper explanations, or any sort of 'item by item' examination of blunders and policy items that I was for or against.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As for me, there wasn't one, singular moment or action that caused my support to wane.  I'd say it was more of an accumulative effect of the guy not realizing when it was time to simply STFU and stay with the bigger picture policy items that won him the support of so many to begin with.  

I hope that explanation is suffice

Sure it is, thanks.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 07:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: Can I ask what changed your mind? 

Nothing specific. I think he was once good for the country but now I think he is not in our best interest.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 12:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Nothing specific. I think he was once good for the country but now I think he is not in our best interest.

If that is an option you* have, will you vote against him/for someone else in a primary?

[*open question to any former supporter]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 12:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: If that is an option you* have, will you vote against him/for someone else in a primary?

It'll be interesting to see how Trump handles the primaries when he's likely to go in way down in the polls.  I assume he will say the primaries are rigged and maybe even mention patriots using their 2nd amendment right to make sure the election is fair and that DeSantis supporters don't cheat too badly.

I can't help but see Trump and Kari Lake joining up and being the "if we don't win, it's rigged" ticket and just crapping in the political pool in 2024. I could also see DeSantis hanging back and being the governor of Florida and just letting the Trump era burn itself out, rather than putting himself in the crosshairs. What does it benefit DeSantis to run in 2024 and instantly turn the most insane fringe of his own political party against him?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 12:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: If that is an option you* have, will you vote against him/for someone else in a primary?

Not sure what you mean by option?

(12-16-2022, 01:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote:   I could also see DeSantis hanging back and being the governor of Florida and just letting the Trump era burn itself out, 

Now this will be interesting. The Trump era burns out only when he lets it, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 02:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure what you mean by option?

Oh, just for technicalities. I don't know what it takes to vote in primaries really, if you need to be a party member which you might not be, or things like that. Or if your state even is relevant in that regard, since not every state is.
Reply/Quote