Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Opinion: DeSantis 2024?
(02-24-2021, 11:08 AM)Dill Wrote: What is the time period covered in those stats?

Last 7 days.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 10:42 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: 7 day average cases

FL 5893   NY 7396

7 day average deaths

FL 151     NY 126

One open and one closed

Meanwhile FL see the largest reporting of variant covid in the nation...and they don't do as much testing as other states.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

(note: source provided)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:42 AM)GMDino Wrote: Meanwhile FL see the largest reporting of variant covid in the nation...and they don't do as much testing as other states.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

(note: source provided)

Just showing what the 7 day average is.  

Ok, so if FL was to test more they get closer to NY in cases.  So what?  FL open, NY not.  Pretty much same results.

Source provided.  NY Times.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=qGg2YPn4C_GE_Qb3x6iIDw&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYDZ2uEihFizYX3MQBHNnw8qlN5CPiw6u&q=covid+deaths&oq=covid+deaths&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAELEDMgUIABCxAzIFCAAQsQMyBQgAELEDMggIABCxAxDJAzIFCAAQkgMyBQgAEJIDMgUIABCxAzIFCAAQsQMyAggAOggIABCxAxCDAToICC4QxwEQowI6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOggILhCxAxCDAToICC4QxwEQrwE6BQgAEMkDULgMWLQuYPkwaABwAHgAgAF6iAH3BpIBBDExLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwj57MGz44LvAhVxQt8KHfcjCvEQ4dUDCAk&uact=5 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:54 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Just showing what the 7 day average is.  

Ok, so if FL was to test more they get closer to NY in cases.  So what?  FL open, NY not.  Pretty much same results.

Source provided.  NY Times.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=qGg2YPn4C_GE_Qb3x6iIDw&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYDZ2uEihFizYX3MQBHNnw8qlN5CPiw6u&q=covid+deaths&oq=covid+deaths&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAELEDMgUIABCxAzIFCAAQsQMyBQgAELEDMggIABCxAxDJAzIFCAAQkgMyBQgAEJIDMgUIABCxAzIFCAAQsQMyAggAOggIABCxAxCDAToICC4QxwEQowI6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOggILhCxAxCDAToICC4QxwEQrwE6BQgAEMkDULgMWLQuYPkwaABwAHgAgAF6iAH3BpIBBDExLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwj57MGz44LvAhVxQt8KHfcjCvEQ4dUDCAk&uact=5 

Yes, more testing would show more cases and that being open wasn't "better" than being closed.  It may even have been worse but without the data you can't tell.

And, as has been noted previously, Florida had the advantage of more spread out living, months of studying what worked and didn't work and if they only did "pretty much the same" that is pretty bad.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes, more testing would show more cases and that being open wasn't "better" than being closed.  It may even have been worse but without the data you can't tell.

And, as has been noted previously, Florida had the advantage of more spread out living, months of studying what worked and didn't work and if they only did "pretty much the same" that is pretty bad.

Even if FL cases were same or a little worse, being open is still better than being closed.

Other than the Concrete Hell that is NYC, NY Sate is a pretty rural area.  Heck, a huge portion of NY is red when looking at voting.

Prohibition didn't work and neither does trying to lock people down like animals.

The odds of a healthy person dying from Covid is almost zero.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:14 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Even if FL cases were same or a little worse, being open is still better than being closed.

Other than the Concrete Hell that is NYC, NY Sate is a pretty rural area.  Heck, a huge portion of NY is red when looking at voting.

Prohibition didn't work and neither does trying to lock people down like animals.

This has been explained to you over and over again but you still insist on ignoring it.

Population density has a big role in spreading the virus.  43% of the population of New York lives in one city (8.3 million of 19.4 million).  They are all piled on top of each other and depend on a massive public transportation system  The largest city in Florida (Jacksonville 900K) only contains 4% of the population of the State (21.5 million).  The residents of Florida are not all massed together and using public transportation like subways.

You just can't compare the numbers from the two states.  And if you want to then the fact that Florida's numbers are so close to the numbers from NY despite the massive concentration of population in NYC proves that the policies in NY are working much better than the ones in Florida.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:14 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Even if FL cases were same or a little worse, being open is still better than being closed.

If cases were the same after all Florida should have learned then being open cost thousands of lives.  

No one in America was :locked down like animals.  Not even close and that's just partisan BS talk.  As is what I'm guessing is your "understanding" of odds and statistics.

Pure stubbornness has made the overall situation worse across the country.  Refusal to listen or learn.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This has been explained to you over and over again but you still insist on ignoring it.

Population density has a big role in spreading the virus.  43% of the population of New York lives in one city (8.3 million of 19.4 million).  They are all piled on top of each other and depend on a massive public transportation system  The largest city in Florida (Jacksonville 900K) only contains 4% of the population of the State (21.5 million).  The residents of Florida are not all massed together and using public transportation like subways.

You just can't compare the numbers from the two states.  And if you want to then the fact that Florida's numbers are so close to the numbers from NY despite the massive concentration of population in NYC proves that the policies in NY are working much better than the ones in Florida.

Actually I can compare the numbers and I did.  Straight from the far right NY times.

All the big box stores have magically kept everyone safe in NY, but if you're a Gym, oh hell no, instant death!   So much hypocrisy and inconsistency that I don't believe anything I hear from either side.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:52 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Actually I can compare the numbers and I did.  Straight from the far right NY times.

All the big box stores have magically kept everyone safe in NY, but if you're a Gym, oh hell no, instant death!   So much hypocrisy and inconsistency that I don't believe anything I hear from either side.

There is a difference between walking through a store and the exertion of exercising when it come to the spread via deep breaths.

That's why churches were one of the places asked to close because of the singing vs just being in the building.

But either you know this and choose to ignore it or never bothered to learn it because it went against what you "knew".

(02-24-2021, 12:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: Pure stubbornness has made the overall situation worse across the country.  Refusal to listen or learn.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:52 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Actually I can compare the numbers and I did.  Straight from the far right NY times.

Then you have to agree that due to the extreme population density in NYC it is clear that the policies in NY have been more effective than those in Florida.

Either that or you are bragging about comparing apples to oranges.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: There is a difference between walking through a store and the exertion of exercising when it come to the spread via deep breaths.

That's why churches were one of the places asked to close because of the singing vs just being in the building.

But either you know this and choose to ignore it or never bothered to learn it because it went against what you "knew".

I just think it's all pure BS.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:27 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I just think it's all pure BS.

To what extent?  You have to realize we are so deep into mainstream conspiracy culture that saying it is all BS could mean that you think democrats sacrificed half a million Americans to satan and then made up the covid excuse to explain the missing people.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then you have to agree that due to the extreme population density in NYC it is clear that the policies in NY have been more effective than those in Florida.

Either that or you are bragging about comparing apples to oranges.

FL is completely open with no real mask requirements.  FL should be exploding with death and destruction.  Yet, per the NY Times, FL has far less cases over the last 7 days and about the same amount of death.  Those trends have been steady.

It must be hard to not understand that over the whole nation, mask mandates and shuttering of small businesses has had very little impact on Covid deaths and cases.

Now, if EVERYONE had a mask sewn to their face 24/7/365 and you NEVER got within 10ft of ANYONE (including family) and I saw stats to back it up, then I might start believe it could help significantly.

Nah man, I'm comparing babies to eggs.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To what extent?  You have to realize we are so deep into mainstream conspiracy culture that saying it is all BS could mean that you think democrats sacrificed half a million Americans to satan and then made up the covid excuse to explain the missing people.

I mean making people think they are going to die or kill someone by not wearing a mask (outside for some people) when the chance of actually dying from covid is zero is BS.

I believe Covid is not going anywhere.  I believe we need to let it run it's course and hope we can build immunity as a species.  I do not believe wearing a mask constantly and locking everything down makes sense or is the solution.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:40 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I believe Covid is not going anywhere.  I believe we need to let it run it's course and hope we can build immunity as a species.  I do not believe wearing a mask constantly and locking everything down makes sense or is the solution.

You have a right to your opinion, but your stance involves a lot of hope and belief and also characterizes the opposing viewpoint as being oppressive and having sinister motives.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You have a right to your opinion, but your stance involves a lot of hope and belief and also characterizes the opposing viewpoint as being oppressive and having sinister motives.  

Beliefs and hopes...thoughts and prayers...

[Image: 317cd238e4405d5559dbbdafc3015a8a.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 02:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Beliefs and hopes...thoughts and prayers...

That's what is interesting about political aspects of stuff like this.  The same people who hope and believe covid will disappear if the government would just ignore it don't think abortion will just stop on its own and want the government to step in and make some regulations and laws to curb it.

I don't really care about abortion, but maybe I'll try that from now on.  I'm not worried about abortion because one day it'll disappear like a miracle.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You have a right to your opinion, but your stance involves a lot of hope and belief and also characterizes the opposing viewpoint as being oppressive and having sinister motives.  

I agree partially.

I absolutely believe Covid was overblown for political purposes.

I only believe oppressive from a big box store fine, but lots of small businesses must close and possibly forever.

Sinister motives, not so much, other than overblown for political purposes.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:35 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: FL is completely open with no real mask requirements.  FL should be exploding with death and destruction.  Yet, per the NY Times, FL has far less cases over the last 7 days and about the same amount of death.  Those trends have been steady.

And a major reason for these numbers is that over 40% of the population of NY lives in one city piled on top of each other and using a mass public transportation system while the largest city in Florida contains only 4% of their population and they don't rely on mass public transportation.

The fact that Florida's numbers are close to New York's numbers under these conditions proves that the policies in Florida are not as effective as the policies in New York.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 02:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's what is interesting about political aspects of stuff like this.  The same people who hope and believe covid will disappear if the government would just ignore it don't think abortion will just stop on its own and want the government to step in and make some regulations and laws to curb it.

I don't really care about abortion, but maybe I'll try that from now on.  I'm not worried about abortion because one day it'll disappear like a miracle.

Makes sense to me because that group does like education on the subject.  Good sex-ed and openness about it helps cut "unwanted" pregnancies.  The same would be true for Covid.  Being educated about it and people not just being willfully ignorant because they don't like it hurts more than it helps.
Reply/Quote