Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions: ‘Real America’ is its own bubble
(12-15-2016, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said, just more crowded; not bigger.

In reference to the so-called bubble in the article, not that map which you didn't understand.
(12-15-2016, 05:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In reference to the so-called bubble in the article, not that map which you didn't understand.

I understood completely regardless of your assesment. I just found it odd to counter a size question by displaying a map not to scale.

Just me; I guess.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-15-2016, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I understood completely regardless of your assesment. I just found it odd to counter a size question by displaying a map not to scale.

Just me; I guess.

But, it is scaled. To population density. Read the article. 
(12-15-2016, 05:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, it is scaled. To population density. Read the article. 

I'm aware of that; it's just when we discuss size...........never mind.

(12-15-2016, 06:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm aware of that; it's just when we discuss size...........never mind.

More accurately the population density:distance ratio. If you read the article you would understand the authors aren't just discussing surface area in relation to size.  (Because size is measured in different ways; distance, density, weight, surface area, etc.) It isn't meant to be a road map. Regardless, you're crowded comment didn't have anything to do with the silliest map you've ever seen. The color gradient depicts a third variable, political party affiliation concentration. 

In other words it is a graph; a graphic representation of information involving three variables scaled to size based upon the variables and scaled to size based upon those variables in order to convey that infornation in a meaningful way. If you're interpreting that information the same as you would a road map which conveys the distance from point A to point B then you don't understand what you're looking at because you didn't read the author's explanation. Kinda like checking the legend on a map to figure out how far you've traveled. 
[Image: map01_1024.jpg]

Silly map. Saudi Arabia isn't that size. 
(12-15-2016, 06:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: [Image: map01_1024.jpg]

Silly map. Saudi Arabia isn't that size. 

It would definitely be a silly map to use jf folks were talking about the geographical size of oil producing countries as opposed to volume. 

(12-15-2016, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It would definitely be a silly map to use jf folks were talking about the geographical size of oil producing countries as opposed to volume. 

How is the volume demonstrated? By redrawing each country's size proportional to the volume of its oil reserves. You just demonstrated you understand, therefore you must also understand . . . 

Quote:states are drawn with size proportional not to their acreage but to the number of their inhabitants

At this point, you're purposely being belligerent by pretending not to understand what you just demonstrated you do, in fact, understand. Why you would willfully pretend to be ignorant?
(12-15-2016, 02:05 PM)Dill Wrote: There is such a thing as yoga therapy, yes.  But it is not siphoning students away from STEM courses.

Yeah, I know. I agree with you. I know there is a far bigger picture and all that, I also know about the framing of certain human science studies as useless hobby for all kinds of unwordly dreamers (and/or feminists or whatever), and I condemn that as much as you do. But in this case I deliberately chose to just not be serious, cause I just like to make fun of the described type too much (that, after all, DOES exist)... and I might come off as ignorant or small-minded when doing so, but I surprisingly can live with that. There was no deeper, more ernest purpose to my post, except that now I gave you an opportunity to respond with an interesting post by yourself. 

(Which I can't quite respond to for I can't think of anything clever to add and the thread has moved on. Just that our countries, minus the existence of FOX, are very similar in many respects.)
(12-15-2016, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It would definitely be a silly map to use jf folks were talking about the geographical size of oil producing countries as opposed to volume. 

Perfect example of someone living in a bubble. Despite the fact the referenced map was never intended to depict geographic size alone, bfine insists the map is silly because it doesn't depict what it was never intended to depict. No wonder you think sciency folk are funny. 
(12-15-2016, 07:31 PM)hollodero Wrote: and I might come off as ignorant or small-minded when doing so, but I surprisingly can live with that. 

Not at all, Hollo.  Quite the opposite. 
(12-15-2016, 07:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Perfect example of someone living in a bubble. Despite the fact the referenced map was never intended to depict geographic size alone, bfine insists the map is silly because it doesn't depict what it was never intended to depict. No wonder you think sciency folk are funny. 

But, some Science people are funny.  In 8th grade, our Science teacher opened the year with a joke.  He asked "Why did the mice run circles around a box of crackers, till they died of exhaustion?".   Answer "Because the directions read:  To open, tear around..".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-15-2016, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, some Science people are funny.  In 8th grade, our Science teacher opened the year with a joke.  He asked "Why did the mice run circles around a box of crackers, till they died of exhaustion?".   Answer "Because the directions read:  To open, tear around..".

Science humor . . .

[Image: 6a78db91d811d01deb930d68d61b5e05.jpg]