Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions and opinions of opinions...
With the whole Chase-Sewell debate and the insane amount of contentious back and forth during the draft, there has been talk about being able to praise or criticize, be positive or negative, etc without being attacked by those who disagree. So, here are my thoughts on the subject:

This deal with being able to share opinions - everyone has to be allowed to do that, whether it's positive or negative. The thing is though, once you put your opinion out there, you can't then turn around and want to silence other people for having an 'opinion' of what you said either, whether it's positive or negative. 

There are posters on this board who tend to be far more extreme in their optimism or pessimism. Both of those catch flack for it. It's not just one side or another, and no one is getting shut down for having good or bad things to say. Once you put opinions out there, not everyone will agree or like it. When you get opinions back, you won't always agree or like it. 

That's just the way it is. If we're going to have a board where everyone is allowed to express themselves (within the CoC of course) then we have to put up with stuff that pisses us off sometimes - only was this can work. 
Reply/Quote
My opinions are always right and those who disagree look like a fart.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree probably 99%. I think that when the opinion expressing starts turning into attacking/insulting other posters a line is being crossed. We should be able to express positive/negative without it becoming personal.
Reply/Quote
Exactly. And with recourse. Having an opinion about things does not give anyone a right to try and belittle or attack a posters intelligence because they have an opinion. Sure, some jabs are meant in good humor and those are respectable. However when you borderline call someone an idiot or put words in their mouth, that's a line crosser. Not just in Jungle Noise, but the whole board.

Reply/Quote
As for me, I think I'm done posting within the confines of the contentious Sewell/Chase debate.  I'm just handing out rep now instead to those who post what I feel are reasonable opinion on either side.  

FYI - "Ok I was Sewell, but I'll wait and see" crowd are getting most of my rep.  :)
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: I agree probably 99%. I think that when the opinion expressing starts turning into attacking/insulting other posters a line is being crossed. We should be able to express positive/negative without it becoming personal.

Agreed, and why I said 'within the CoC'. If it crosses the line from opinion to personal attack, then members need to notify us / report the post so we can look at it and make a determination.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gk48ljbbe35zvkbvlo...y.gif&ct=g]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I agree 100%. There are a lot of great Bengals fans here ranging from people that just watch the games and follow for fun (that's me) to people that do tons of research and analysis. That said, yes if someone posts their opinion it is open to being criticized by others. I just expect such criticism to be productive and not so much, "You idiot why would you think that?"

I think the thing to remember is that the person you are responding to is a real person and not some chat bot or whatever. They have their own lives and experiences. It is so easy to feel so disconnected from others on the Internet and not see fellow participants as real people. I'm guilty of forgetting that myself as I have made jokes about other forum members here. But anyway, if someone posts their opinion feel free to challenge it in a respectful way.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Im certain Jared Goff Loved our pick @ 5...
Sewell in Detroit wont last that long though..
I kinda feel bad for the guy he was drafted their..
I bet Cincy looks like a Cadillac to him now as opposed to the Ford Taurus he is in
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: I agree probably 99%. I think that when the opinion expressing starts turning into attacking/insulting other posters a line is being crossed. We should be able to express positive/negative without it becoming personal.

(05-02-2021, 02:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agreed, and why I said 'within the CoC'. If it crosses the line from opinion to personal attack, then members need to notify us / report the post so we can look at it and make a determination.

And even if you notice attacks on another member let us know. We want a user friendly board. We won't always take action because sometimes two people just disagree and theirs nothing offensive or CoC breaking in some reports, but we will always do our best to keep the greatest board on the planet a good place to hang out. This is a place people like to come to after work or whatever to relieve stress and get away. We will continue to do everything in our abilities to make it a great place to be.

Reply/Quote
I wanted Sewell and a friend who has reason to know did not think our second round pick will work out.

It’s all done now and I hope history demonstrates that this was a great draft and I was wrong.

Thanks to the mods who are the best!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gk48ljbbe35zvkbvlo...y.gif&ct=g]

[Image: plIBD0s.gif]
Reply/Quote
I take nothing personal on any message board. Feel free to call me any names you want and it's not going to register with me no matter what. I have fun and try not to get personal with anyone.  It's a game, period, not the story of our mothers and little sisters.. 
Time to grow up kiddies..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
When I was in high school, my older brother had an orangutan poster that stated "when I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you." He's my closest friend today, but back then he evidently wanted my opinion a lot!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:19 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: When I was in high school, my older brother had an orangutan poster that stated "when I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you." He's my closest friend today, but back then he evidently wanted my opinion a lot!

Oh i can relate..
Big Brothers growing up (well in my case anyway) definitely want it to be clear who the boss Is/Was..
Now big bro is a softy Married with children has taken its toll..
Reply/Quote
What bothers me is when someone posts a ridiculous opinion and when it is pointed out how ridiculous it is they consider that a "personal attack".

"A. J. McCarron was one of the greatest Bengals QBs ever."

"That is the dumbest things I have ever heard."

"Why are you resorting to personal attacks against me?"

Calling your opinion stupid is not the same as calling you stupid. And if you can't stand for anyone to call your opinion stupid you probably shouldn't hang out on message boards.
Reply/Quote
My opinion: Mrs Howell on Gilligans Island was hot and I'll defend it to the death!  Ok, maybe not to the death. Probably not even to a piece of used toilet paper,  but she was hot at one time before any of us were ever born.. Don't even get me started on those other two tramps! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What bothers me is when someone posts a ridiculous opinion and when it is pointed out how ridiculous it is they consider that a "personal attack".

Calling your opinion stupid is not the same as calling you stupid.  And if you can't stand for anyone to call your opinion stupid you probably shouldn't hang out on message boards.

Its sort of like when I tell my Lady friend shes acting like a *****..
She says did you just say im a *****
I say no.. Your behaving liike one..
I was gonna use the C word in that analogy but the worlld has gone hyper sensitive in a huge hurry..
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately thin skinned is the new norm. Growing up my friends and I used to verbally abuse the crap out of each other. Just listening in you would have thought we were mortal enemies. But we also always had each other's backs.

I kinda feel the same way about my fellow posters on this board. I may give you a hard time in debates, and denegrate your mother, sister, job, etc in smack talk....but I will defend you against any fan of any other team who tries to do the same. I can call you an uninformed troll who has a penchant for sniffing b holes, but god help the steeler fan who tries to call you that!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What bothers me is when someone posts a ridiculous opinion and when it is pointed out how ridiculous it is they consider that a "personal attack".

Calling your opinion stupid is not the same as calling you stupid.  And if you can't stand for anyone to call your opinion stupid you probably shouldn't hang out on message boards.

To me, a bigger issue is some folks want to have things both ways.

They want to insult other people's opinions, but want to play victim when their own opinion gets insulted.  

Even worse are the posters who ran around attacking other people's opinions and derailing thread after thread in the build up to the draft when the majority of the board had their back now crying about being attacked when they are no longer in the majority.  If you're going to dish it out, you'd better be able to take it.  If you can't, don't dish it out in the first place.
Reply/Quote